LED lighting

Removed my two 48" Solaris units from my Elos and replaced them with two HQI units...happiest day of my life!(my wife said she never even noticed that tank until the day I got rid of those crappy LEDs)( they look like garbage and can NOT grow demanding corals no matter what ANYONE says(I own four of these pieces of sh**.)

It's only been two weeks since the change, and my corals are all coming back nicely(most were dying)

I'm sorry I did not mention that these are the original "G" series,(were two of the LED "Banks" are supposedly( ..according to PFO) equivalent to a 250w MH( .....I belive a very old 20k with some salt on the bulb....maybe).

but yeah..ALL FOR SALE 2=48" and 2=24"
P.M. me and we'll work it out ...willing to trade for Kick-A**! live stock

jtma508

Ohhh... that's a seahorse of a different color. The Solaris pre-I5 models are known to have crappy manufacturing and assembly issues. Pluse they are nowhere near the output of the I-4 and particularly I-5 series. That said, is there anyone hear using either the AquaIllumination or Solaris I-5 fixtures that are keeping SPS and.or clams under these lights? If so, what's the verdict and how long have you been doing it? That, I believe, is the biggest question floating around out there.

l3fty999

Well if you do the math it is not really a bad deal.

if you run your lights 12hrs a day 365days a year these LED will last more than 11years

If I run my T5's that long i would spend:
$500 fixture
$3500 bulb replacement (8 bulbs every 6 months $20@ for 11 years.)
that doesnt include ballasts and fans and anything else that might wear out or electrical savings, lack of chiller, fans, timers.

Not to mention the built in ability to control the lighting spectrum much more realistically.

I think I am sold even at this price

That does not mean that I would not rather pay less though. (Hint Hint)

It may pay off in the long run, but I cannot afford the big lump sum at once like that. Anyone else feel that way?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It may pay off in the long run, but I cannot afford the big lump sum at once like that. Anyone else feel that way?

I can see your point about "not having it now" but if you're honestly sold on it then why throw your money away "a little at a time" when you could just save up and in the end come out money ahead.

I for one will be buying these lights for my next tanks. The sooner you make the "investment" the sooner you start saving money :)

l3fty999

I can see your point about "not having it now" but if you're honestly sold on it then why throw your money away "a little at a time" when you could just save up and in the end come out money ahead.

I for one will be buying these lights for my next tanks. The sooner you make the "investment" the sooner you start saving money :)

Well, if I didn't have to maintain my current lighting setup, yes I could save what I would have spent on replacement bulbs, etc. and then purchase the unit I'd like to have. Things are pretty tight in my household right now, with recently being single(I'ts either me or your fishtank - I'll sure miss her:D ) house payments and four kids(and yes they absolutely LOVE this hobby). I have to look at what I spend versus how soon it will pay itself off. And believe me, I was thinking the same thing you said here and that's why this kind of lighting caught my eye to begin with. Besides, by the time I am financially stable again, the price of these units will have come down a bit anyway.