LED lighting

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Updates? Pics? Reviews?

I think there will be a major reduction in the cost of these units very soon. I have heard rumors of others coming on-line with comparable products with significantly reduced price tags. Time will tell.

Allen :)

Raf

Sorry all I'm having connection problems at home...and will post pics as soon as i can fix this problem.
The only downside i can see so far is that there is little to NO spread to the light so I'm reconfiguring my plans and using two units (side by side) to illuminate a 24" wide system
In other words..i would never recommend this lighting system as a complete system for a tank any wider that the light fixture itself.....But they Rock!-Dave

P.S. one good thing about the limited '"spread" is that very little algae seems to grow on the glass

This is EXACTLY the main issue I found...... no spread. It is very pinpoint light, so not only is there little spread of light on either side of the fixture, there is limited spread between the LED banks. Just my observations...

reefjitsu

I just saw a news article the other day announcing a new LED that produces 1000 lumens, brighter than a 50 watt halogen. Sounds promising to me.

I own 4 of the original Solaris units, but all of my new systems are either Nat. Sunlight or MH......they just don't look good,... We all create these systems because they are visually stunning, however, IMO the LEDs take that "POP" away, that you get with MH, and fluorescent lighting,...IMO.:updown:

willmiller82

Has any one tried the Lights from AquaIllumination. Ive been reading around and they sound like they are supperior to the sollaris

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like the idea/concept but I'd like to hear from someone who actually HAS one of these.

:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've sent the company an email asking for some more in-depth information from them about this unit.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I have seen them @ shows IMPO they do not compare however they maybe a good alternative for Softies or FO

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have seen them @ shows IMPO they do not compare however they maybe a good alternative for Softies or FO

I was wondering where you were? I knew if someone typed "Solaris" it would set off the big "LED in the sky" (Like the Batman Emblem over Gotham City).

Thanks for the input bro!! Much appreciated! I still would like to hear back from someone who has one over their tank. I'd really like to see/do a LED to LED test run :) Hey I'm a nerd and I like TESTS & DATA! Show Me the DATA!! :)

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I would like to see it as well we all know that our eyes can be decieving unless things are presented side by side to view the results

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wish I had the SOLARIS on my tank. I offered to do a "Test & Review" for them but it would be even BETTER if I had the Solaris so I could note the differences and similarities! I could do a KILLER write up and review (Data Nerd here) with charts and notes! We'll see.

:)

rmlevasseur

I own a Solaris and can't recommend it currently to anyone. Not that its not a great light - it is. It just has too many problems. Read my chronicle.

And I also agree the spread can be difficult. My 180 has 2 feet depth and I find that with the light centered the corals in the front don't get enough. They need to make the thing another 6-12 inches wider for sure.

With that said, I disagree with the poster who said the corals don't "pop". I think the actual color of the light is fantastic, and it adds ZERO heat to my tank. I like MH, but they have always scared me with their heat and proximity to water. IMO all metal halide fixtures are safety risks. They are not a risk I will take in my home.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Robert I was looking through your chronicle I dont see a picture of your light on you tank is it possible to see one of the front & the side view?

pkmk

Re: LED lighting (technical review, homepage)

This is a concise technical review: Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Product Review: A New Horizon in Lighting: PFO's Solaris LED System.
This is Solaris' home page (http://www.solarisled.com/). 72" are about $4K. There's also a Galileo system ("for soft corals") that's about 1/2 price and doesn't have a controller or fans. The Solaris has the controller built in, and fans, too, as far as I can tell.
Noticed the post from Opsanus tau about the dull light from LEDs. There're reviews and forums out there saying the new ones, the "I" series, are more powerful and closer to MH. This user review has a pic of, supposedly, a Solaris "I" Series illuminated tank: forbiddenreef on HubPages.
The eco-math from the first article is pretty persuasive. The hubpages.com site gives some other details, e.g., 25 4-watt LEDs per 12" of lighting.

rmlevasseur

Robert I was looking through your chronicle I dont see a picture of your light on you tank is it possible to see one of the front & the side view?

I can try to snap a pic, but I don't think it will show the problem. One of the ways I can tell though is by my huge frogspawn. I actually can't get the entire thing under the lights. Whatever heads are on the fringes don't open up as full. This isn't necessarily all bad, as it does create some shadowed spots for low light corals.

rmlevasseur

Video of Solaris - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

do you have blue lights in the light? from what I can see and the reflections that all look like white LED's

Yes, there are blue lights and a few green lights which produce the full spectrum. They are very evident when you look at the fixture but the whites must overpower the camera.

Here is a night vid with the blues on. It really looks fantastic in RL, my camera just has a hard time with the low light.