Konyak's RMS 130

Konyak

@Joe:
This was inspired by StevieT's legendary media rack and I think it's great how he's turned that into a business and I hope he's doing well with it and it that it continues to grow. If I wasn't such a sucker for DIY I would have just gotten his rack, but since I like the DIY process and experimenting, I wanted to see if I could get more out of the Purigen with this design. I won't have a good way of making a comparison except perhaps by seeing if the purigen darkens uniformly as apposed to on one side or in spots.
I have no intention of going into business with this, in fact if this seems to work and if someone could verify that it's even better, then I'd rather see it sold by inTank as an alternative design. But there's a lot of IF's from here to there :)

Just wanted to put that to rest :)

@Diana: That "purigen" bag is some unidentified used bag I got with the tank, just used it for fitting while my new purigen bag is just going with the flow in somewhere in the back of the tank :) I think I last saw it sucked up under the pumps.

@Sully: Yeah, I work as an engineer in the food processing industry, making things out of laser cut stainless steel, so the process is similar, but I'd hate for that fact to deter you or others from seeing this way of fabricating as out of reach for anyone. Fact is, these are exciting times for people like us, as machines are emerging (laser cutting, desktop 3D printing, for example) that coupled with pretty easy to use cad programs (Google Sketchup supports formats used by these machines) give you access to personalized products, such as this. I saw one guy on some forum 3D printed his own ventury for a skimmer he was building.. A Beckett injector is a prime candidate for 3D printing since it takes a complex mold to mass produce. Right now you can send your cad files out to people who will laser cut or 3D print your part and send them back, just like we can send our film to be developed, but now we mostly develop our "film" at home, if you catch my drift. :) Want to see if an idea for a new needle wheel on your skimmer impeller will give better foaming bubbles? Sketch it up, hit print and have a cup of coffee, then go try it out :)

Exciting times :)

Konyak

I'm working out some fitment issues, but it's been in the tank and I've tried out the flow and it's pretty much as I expected. With the bypass gate closed, the pumps empty the COD and inject bubbles into the tank. Opening the bypass just a bit stopped that and it was even better for the purigen bag, as full flow just jammed it all at the top. Tuning the bypass just right had the purigen tumbling gently around in the bag like in a reactor. I got a video of it but right now I'm out to the garage to make small adjustment so that I can put it all in and let it run for awhile.

Video probably won't be up till tomorrow.

Konyak

Video here: [video=youtube;kPp10AzgKz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPp10AzgKz0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Konyak

Well, time for a little report of how things worked out. It's been running properly now for just over 2 days and I can clearly see a dramatic change in water clarity. I did a PWC yesterday to lower my nitrates and scraped the glass, did a gravel vacuum and the normal stuff. Once the pumps were back on, they spewed out the microbubbles like they normally do and it didn't stop until I adjusted the height of the skimmer (raised it).
So, my hope that the skimmer divider deal forcing the water down before going into the heater compartment didn't work :( I'm leaving it in though, because it supports the skimmer and could possibly be a good place to stuff a bag of carbon (low flow area).
I also noticed the pumps creating a waterfall over the heater divider because the top filter pad in the media rack was compacted with detrious. Changed that and the flow is now excellent.

Here's a pic of the rack as I set it up media-wise:
MediaRackgoingins_zps4849711b.jpg

Haven't put the top filter pad in there, do that in tank, but the water flows first down into the Phosguard bag on the right, then up through the Purigen and then down into the Matrix, along with the water coming down from the bypass. I removed some of the Matrix as the whole bag was for 50g and there was hardly room for it all.

There are some design changes I'd like to do to the bypass, in that I'd like bigger bypass holes to have more control. Right now they are wide open and the flow through the Purigen is a bit more than I'd like, managing to jam some of it toward the top, keeping it from tumbling there. I also made an oversight when modeling the tank in the computer as I was too busy measuring the glass compartments and failed to notice that the overflow grate has a 35mm long tab that sticks out about 2mm into the back chamber. My updraft compartment wouldn't work as well if there was a notch for that part, so I have to remove the grate when removing the media rack. Since that is a job to be done only so often, I'm ok with that, but it'd be nice to not have to as curious critters could venture back there when it's out.

I'll post some pics of the tank when I've got them into the puter.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Might consider removing the bio-rings... your LR in the DT will sever as your bio-filtration, these just trap debris, most RSM owners don't run them. Very impressed with your mod ! :)

Konyak

Thanks Glenn! The bio-rings is this stuff: Seachem. Matrix

Looked like it would help me with the nitrate level control so I thought I'd try it. Didn't think it was just a substitute for LR.. is that the case? I was looking for something to put at the bottom instead of the ChemiPure Elite since I can't get it here.

Is having it there worse than nothing? I'm sure most of the debris is taken out by the first pad, then the media bag surrounding the Matrix.. no?

I'm also in the market for a refractor.. I kind of like the D-D Solutions refractor for it's narrower scale that suits seawater tanks, as well as their calibration for magnesium levels I think it was. Only downside someone pointed out was that if I wanted to hyposaline the tank for treatments, it would be out side of the scale. But then I could just use my current RSM hydrometer.. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Konyak

Konyak

Just a cool video that was posted today that drives home what I wrote about here recently:

[video]http://www.wimp.com/printingchange/[/video]

Watch it all, as it's pretty cool, or at least watch the part from 5:40 minutes.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I ran my bio-rings before I build a cod rack to lift the media off the bottom of my 130D, but I rinsed them weekly to keep them looking new & free of debris. IMO you will want to rinse them... frequently or they will trap debris and cause nitrates - they are functioning like LR "macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria" most don't run them... because your LR does this for you, if you pull then after a couple months & rinse... you will see what I mean, about them trapping junk, that adds to nitrates.

Matrix™ is completely inert and will not breakdown. It need not be replaced. Since the majority of the bacteria are internal, Matrix™ may be rinsed when needed without damaging the filter. Matrix™ is compatible with all types of wet or wet-dry filters.

See what others think :)

mtsully71

I ran my bio-rings before I build a cod rack to lift the media off the bottom of my 130D, but I rinsed them weekly to keep them looking new & free of debris. IMO you will want to rinse them... frequently or they will trap debris and cause nitrates - they are functioning like LR "macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria" most don't run them... because your LR does this for you, if you pull then after a couple months & rinse... you will see what I mean, about them trapping junk, that adds to nitrates.

Matrix™ is completely inert and will not breakdown. It need not be replaced. Since the majority of the bacteria are internal, Matrix™ may be rinsed when needed without damaging the filter. Matrix™ is compatible with all types of wet or wet-dry filters.

See what others think :)

+1, Glenn is correct, you will only be asking for problems. Dump em

Konyak

Well, kinda confusing all this :) Tried to read up on this and some sites posted points about how this media had so much inner surface that the oxygen in the water was depleted by bacteria to the point that anerobic bacteria could work on converting nitrates to O2 and nitrogen gas. This was dependent on flow rate through it, but this is what Seachem was going for. I also am confused about the harm it does to have it in there, even if it is only catching dirt and not breaking down nitrates, as I can at least wash away this dirt, which if it is in the water, it will be converted to nitrate anyway, right?

If the general concensus is against Matrix, then I'll just put in another Purigen bag instead. People seem to agree that it does work :)

Some of the pics I took last night:
Aftermediarackinstall-06s_zps8c7ccbe2.jpg

Aftermediarackinstall-28s_zps8bc3ce43.jpg

Candy cane feeling better

Aftermediarackinstall-26s_zps556dca30.jpg

Luigi posing

Aftermediarackinstall-23s_zps1d046539.jpg

The Kenya tree. I like that one.

Konyak

Spirofucci

Looking good in there Mr. Konyak!

I don't think the those bio rings/matrix stuff is that bad really, but I don't think they add that much since you have all that rock and sand in there for more than enough bio filtration. If anything I think you'll want to use some GFO or Chemipure elite, which would fit perfect in your cool contraption!

The problem I always had was tring to keep a consistant water level on the back chambers, which usually meant ensuring the the flow through the media rack was consistant.

Also, if you have the $$, I would invest in Stevie T's RSM pump mod. Even if you don't need them now, I'd put those in and save the RSM pumps as back up or use them for mixing salt.

Tank looks great, keep it up!

Konyak

Thanks Spiro :) If you mean the Eheim 600 compacts, yeah, they are on my list of upgrades. I did want the CPE, but can't get it here. Was looking for an alternative for it and went for this Matrix stuff, but now it seems Purigen IS SeaChem's version of CPE. Still, I will find a way of picking some up.

Tomorrow I'll check my PO4 levels and see if I can remove the PhosGuard bag.

Laters..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
CPE is carbon & gfo - helps with phosphates - like PhosBan

Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) removes phosphate from the aquarium and is one of the most commonly used filtration medias used in the aquarium industry. GFO is one of the few ways to easily maintain ultra low phosphate on a consistent basis. Maintaining these ultra low levels will help prevent algae outbreaks as well as treat existing algae issues.

Purigen - Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates

Hope this helps...
009.gif

Spirofucci

I am pretty sure that Stevie T ships just about anywhere. I live in very Deep South Texas, that's almost as far away as Iceland. :)

Konyak

It's not the distance that makes it harder, it's the excessive transport and customs fees here. Take StevieT's prices and multiply by 2,5 for small shipments and you have my final price. Add to that the low value of our currency and it becomes a sizable amount :) Anyway, a family member is visiting the UK this weekend and I'm having stuff shipped to the hotel. Fresh RSM bulbs (also not available here) and some Chemi Pure Elite. Each bulb costs $33 over there, but I don't have to multiply by 2,5 either ;)

Phosphates were at 0 last night, but Nitrates still high, 25 ish. PWC again. Water is looking very sparkly though and occupants seem quite happy. Not sure if it's normal, but my cleaner shrimp is ravenous. I fed my anemones each a shrimp, and the cleaner shrimp was right in the middle of the anemone trying to get at it, battling the tentacles.. I thought the anemone would get my cleaner for a while there.

But it's getting lots of food, and it's shed twice now, so I think it's in good health.