Konyak's RMS 130

Konyak

Pretty sure it's not a molt. I got the crab out (in case it was alive still) and it's too heavy to be an empty shell and it includes all the fleshy bits.. I'll be taking the remains back to the LFS when I go, see what he says. Perhaps something akin to the dead parrot sketch will ensue..

Konyak

Thanks Glenn, I suppose that's good news for my water quality and tank inhabitants :)

My LFS replaced the electric blue hermit and after acclimation, the new one was sitting on the sandy bottom when my red legged hermit ambled by. At first it walk past and started up the live rock. I looked away a moment and when I looked back, the red legged one had fused itself shell to shell facing the new one. I saw that the red one was reaching into the new shell and I decided to break it up with my prod, and airlifted the red one into a corner. Once he came out again, he ran (and I've never seen a hermit crab run before) over to the new one again. Boy was he fast. I got my prod again and he literally attacked the end of it, pissed off about it disturbing his attack, and this time I airlifted it to the top of the live rock pile. Again, on a mission it started to make it's way down to the new guy. I felt I was watching the Terminator and now it's just clinging on the the shell of the new one, riding it as if trying to tire it. I don't know how much to interfere with this but I definitely don't want to find the new one dead in the morning.
The blue has bigger claws but it's the other guys home turf and he's not jet-lagged as it were.. Now it sounds like I'm taking bets..

Do I need to separate them until the new guy gets his strength back?

fsamir

Hi Konyak,

would you mind to share the sketch files of the baskets? I would like to try to slice it and 3D print it.
I have been thinking about designing something very similar, but focused on a bio pellets socket in addition to the purigen socket.

Konyak

Hey Fsamir, sure, but I have to update some dimensions first since it is a bit of a tight fit. So you have a 3D printer that can print something that big? :) I'd love to see how that turns out. What format do you need the files in?

The crabs are apart now. I eventually moved the new one away from the red one instead of moving the red one away. Now the red one can't find the blue one and I'm hoping he'll realize the tank is big enough for both of them. I'll be watching them though.

Konyak

Not been very active recently, took a cycling holiday in Spain and when I got back my two little Foxfaces had passed. One was repeatedly getting stuck to the filter intake and the other may have gotten tangled and eaten by one of the BTA's.
The hermit crabs cooled down eventually but in time I didn't see the red one as much. One day I saw it near the front and I found that one of it's claws was missing. Not surprized as the blue legged hermit has huge claws.. what did the red one think would happen picking that fight? Eventually it disappeared behind the rocks and I could see it, not moving for about a week or so, alive, but inactive. It has done that before but a few days ago I saw a bunch of red legs laying in the sand and the empty shell near by.
Blue hermit was fine and active until I saw it naked and dead on the bottom about 2 days ago. I couldn't see it's shell anywhere but I scooped it out to prevent a nitrate source and flushed it, wondering what the heck was going on in my tank. I'd recently done a 25% water change and things were looking fine.
Then today I was at the LFS contemplating picking up some new hermits but decided against it for now. When I got home, I see the familiar shell of the blue hermit sitting on top of a prominent rock and when I looked closer I was amazed to see blue legs and claws sticking out.. ! The red one had never molted so I didn't know how complete they can look when "empty", but it sure was a nice surprize :)

At the store I was tempted to pick up a Mandarin. I'm trying to read up on keeping one and getting mixed messages. Two things I want to know:

How do I know if I have pods in the tank right now? I can see things skittering about on the sandbed near the back of the tank and occasionally when I'm stirring up the gravel. The Hancock blenny will usually dart out and catch it. B ut I don't know if these are pods.

How will the Mandarin and the Hancock blenny get along? Not worried about the clownfish so much or the shrimp.

It's a beautiful fish, but rather demanding in it's eating habits, but I think I'm quite lucky as this one has been taking frozen food at the store.. something of a rarity I think.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you lost your beautiful Foxfaces :(

Mandarin are hard to keep long term for many, one of the few fish I have lost was my red scooter blenny (dragnet), he died after 9 months, even with me supplementing pods & ge ate frozen too.

Konyak

Well, some developments. I took some time to study the Mandarin they had, watched him eat and I knew he'd been there for many many months, so I decided to get him. He's fine, eats frozen every day and picks at pods on the rocks all day. He's been in there close to 3 months now and I still see lively pods behind the rockwork after lights out. I'll post some pics of him soon.

My feather duster lost it's crown and it's tube was looking like it was disintegrating, and while I knew the emerald crab liked hanging out near it, I'd never seen it harm the worm. The worm didn't even retract when the crab was touching it's feathers. The worm grew a new crown and was looking good. I'd bought some frozen rotifiers and was delivering them near the worm. One day, I noticed the crown was clearly chewed up and I decided to put it into intensive care. When I was removing it, the friggin crab attacked my finger, and I knew then I was removing his food. Inspecting the tube, I saw that he'd cut into the worm and I put him into a protected container but he was done for. After looking on the net, I found similar cased with emeralds. LFS guy sold me the worm and the emerald in the same bag :chainsaw: I'm through listening to LFS people.

BUT.. reason I'm posting is that this morning I noticed something black covering the underside of a rock and the clowns constantly swimming up against it. I got my light and saw lots and lots of little blackish eggs hanging there! :whstlr: So, I'm anxious to give them all the help they need to perhaps get some young'uns up and swimming :)
My question is, since the eggs are blackish, I'm assuming they are fertilized and have been there for at least 4-6 days ( during the day a huge anemone completely blocks view of them, and protects them) I'm worried that the emerald might have at them, or my skunk cleaner shrimp. There's also an electric blue hermit crab in there, and a cowrie snail and a turbo snail. These I worry about while they are eggs, but when fry emerge I could also worry about the Mandarin and the Barnacle Blenny.
Anybody have any experience with this scenario? How tough are the clowns in protecting the fry? Should I try to isolate them when they hatch?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll post pics later on :)

slfcaptain

Congrats on the eggs! I can't help you there but the emerald crab ultimately is an opportunistic eater and can/may try to eat the eggs. It all depends on your crab he might ignore them or, like with the feather, start snacking.

Steve

Konyak

Thanks guys. After reading through there it doesn't look like I'll be able to help this batch along. I don't have the extra tanks for the fry and live food or the plumbing, lights, heaters or the time to constantly feed them. I don't know if the fry will head down after hatching and hide in the rocks, but if they do, the Mandarin will benefit probably, right?

I can enjoy that the clowns are happy enough with the water quality and their surroundings that they started a breeding cycle though :)

Here's the Mandarin, I promised a pic:

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats on the beautiful Mandarin Goby!! And congrats on your clownfish spawning also...that is a good sign that they are happy & doing their thing ;)
Keep the updates coming on your mandarin, I'm thinking I will try to find one local that I'm sure is eating well after I add my sump. It would be cool to have a mated pair of those also :D

Konyak

Thanks guys, have plenty of pics of him, I'll get around to putting more up soon. I had to move the tank from the bedroom into the living room as the lid was doing a little rattle & hum. Since my initial plan was to migrate this tank into my Hagen 75 gallon bow front that is currently also in the living room and freshwater, I'm getting ready to set that into action. The move between rooms was amazingly easy, only took 2 hours till it was set up just like it was and that night, the Clowns spawned again.
Anyway, I've been researching skimmers for the sump, and I've been getting a good vibe for the Eshopps S-120 cone skimmer. It's supposed to be dead quiet and efficient. I'm going to the UK for Christmas and I'm hoping to bring one back with me, but I can't seem to find anyone in the UK selling them. Anyone here know where to get them? Or a similar alternative? Has to be quiet ;)

Thanks!