Konyak's RMS 130

Konyak

Yeah thanks Glenn, I'm ordering my bulbs from them, as they are the only ones that have them on stock, but they don't have the CPE on stock right now :(. I found some here H20Aquatics.co.uk though and overall, these guys are cheaper than Charterhouse. Pretty much all of them offer free next day shipping within UK if you purchase for over 50 quid, so it's not going to make it more costly for me to take from separate vendors. :smoking:

And now for something completely different...

I was going through some old raw footage from my Gopro on my HD and found one from when I was trying out an underwater focus fix mod I made back before they fixed that issue. While looking at the footage, I had a silly idea that I couldn't resist trying out. It got some chuckles along with the usual "..you need :help: , but I already new that :) Anyway, if there's a crowd that might appreciate it slightly more, it's you guys, so here it is.. (recommend to watch in HD)

[video=youtube;Amd_o7hBEGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amd_o7hBEGU[/video]

Later

Konyak

Kinda bummed out.. H20Aquatics.co.uk are dropping the ball and I won't be able to get my CPE among other things I ordered from them. They refuse to accept a payment via PayPal from Iceland for a shipping address in the UK. Charterhouse, Marine aquatics accepted this no problem, but these guys won't, and I can't see any logic in it. I'm a validated PayPal user, PayPal pays them, they don't need to worry about where my Visa card is located, that's the whole point of PayPal.. I don't get it, and they won't get my business.
I'll just have to wait until Charterhouse get's the CPE on stock.

Konyak

Dropped by the LFS today to look for an alternative to CPE, since it's hard to get cheaply, and since my last attempt didn't turn out so well (got Matrix which is now in the canister of the freshwater tank). Now that I knew what was in the CPE, I found SeaChem makes the exact same thing called SeaGel. So I got two satchels of that and put it in the rack with the Purigen. I'm done for now, no need for CPE and I can take my mind off of how to obtain it :)
In other news, my shipment of two new replacement bulbs and some Purigen from Charterhouse was faithfully delivered to the hotel where it was expected, but the staff there failed to deliver it to the person who was to bring it home yesterday :flaming:
Now I have $100 of aquarium goods sitting in a hotel in the UK that doesn't return calls or seem to have any sort of customer service :)

Konyak

Tank has been running pretty smoothly these past weeks, despite the hotel still keeping my shipment hostage, so I had nothing to report really. Until now.

One of my two large BTA's stopped coming out of it's place during the day and a few days ago I couldn't figure out how it seemed to be on two separate rocks without a connection between them. It's done this before, and I swore it was splitting, but then it would come out as one anemone again, completely fooling me. This time it was really hard to see if it was somehow connected as I could only see it from the side and through holes in the opposite rocks, so I waited to exclaim that it has split, but now it's coming out again and this time it really looks like it has indeed split, even into three parts! Two I know is common, but could it have split into three all at once?

I'll post pics when I see it better.

Konyak

Here's the pics of the 3 nems that the one became:

3-split-s2_zps033b9ac5.jpg

Two small ones on the right. The big one on the left is the old one, thinking of selling it since I have 3 smaller ones now. It's a bit dominating in the tank.

3-split-s_zps380ec576.jpg

The third one under the rock, hasn't come out but I think it will be ok.

And one of the blenny at home.. can't get enough of this guy:
Blennyroumlr2_zps4b87de0d.jpg

Think it's too soon to feed the anemones some shrimp? They seem fully formed.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That's a CUTE little Blenny too! Going to have to check & see if I could get one like that....not sure it's compatible with my Midas Blenny or not. He is in an empty tube worm hole? Does he come out & swim around much?

Konyak

He is in an empty tube worm hole? Does he come out & swim around much?

Yes he lived in that worm tube at the store and amazingly he'd been there almost a whole year, so I asked to get the tube along with him, like a mobile home. He's 99% of the time just like in the picture, ready to dart out and snatch something that floats by. If you blink, you miss it. Sometimes he'll go after a bit of food that one of the clowns were about to eat and you can almost see the "..what the..??" look on the clowns faces when the piece of food just disappears in front of their eyes :D

Don't know about the compatibility, but if the Midas blenny took a fancy to the worm tube, I think we'd have a problem.

mtsully71

Love the Blenny Konyak, I am on a waitlist to get one, probably 2. Cant wait to get mine

tanks looking good

Sully

Konyak

Time for an update.. First off, awhile back I traded one of my anemones for some CUC and a Kenya tree coral, and the guy pointed out to me that the live rock had a single Aptasia in it and I needed to look out for it so it doesn't spread. I took the rock into the bathroom and let scalding hot water run into the hole where the little Aptasia lurked and then placed it in the tank. My shrimp and hermit attacked the remains of the anemone and I thought I'd seen the last of it. After some weeks of moving it around and it had ended up buried in the gravel, I saw the little sucker peeking up through the gravel! I started looking into other ways to kill it and most, including Aptasia-X seemed hit or miss.. Not being in the mood to be outdone by an resilient anemone, I went and got my little propane torch... :flame: I submerged the kenya tree in a bucket with tank water, covering it's base, and flame-broiled the hole where the Aptasia was. I really should have taped it as it was comically overkill, but in short, it worked :D Haven't seen it since and the Kenya tree is fine. Here's a picture of ground zero:

Also, I sold another anemone, so now I only have the three little ones that split. The guy I sold it too had a huge tank with big fish and I suggested to him that perhaps he would take my cleaner wrasse since he really had no business being in my little tank even though he was eating. He was looking a little weak and I know they are hard to keep and only live 4 years or so (don't know how old this one was) but the day before I was going to relocate him, he disappeared and I have not seen him since. I presume he's dead but I've not seen any remains or anything. :(

In other news, my first InTank shipment came:

I quickly drip-acclimated the little swedish fish in my mouth (InTank U Stevie) and went to work on changing out the bulbs. What a difference ! Colors are popping now and the tank is even brighter. Candy cane actually has a neon green thing going on.
I was also anxious to compare the nitrate readings of the API test to the Tetra ones that I'd been relying on and was constantly giving me high readings. Here's two pics of the results:

Same water, instructions followed to the letter, shaking the snot out of API bottle #2 before, and the result? My water is as low in nitrates as it should be considering all the unnecessary water changes I've done following the Tetra test results.. :stars:
That's cost me a pretty penny in Instant Ocean.. 10 gallons every weekend in a 35 gallon tank.. didn't make sense and now I know why. Anyone else have similar experience with Tetra's kits? I mean the API one is right, right? :)

Other tests told me that I had 0 phosphates, 7dKH alkalinity ( a bit low), and too much calcium.. I stopped at 30 drops and the vial was dark blue, not purple. Probably all that fresh Instant Ocean and few corals to use it.

Then yesterday I stopped by my LFS and found he'd just received a shipment, so I picked up some critters and a purple Gorgonia:

I also got a feather duster, they fascinate me:

Close up of it's mouth.. how alien is this thing?

I also got a Cowrie snail.. There was a large Cowrie shell in my parents bathroom growing up, and I never knew what it was from, now I have a small live one :)

I had to get another hermit crab too.. Electric blue I think it was called, cool purple fringe on it's legs.

I also got a little green Emerald Crab, but haven't got a picture of it since it's gone into hiding :)

Finally since my Wrasse died, I got two fish as well.

Foxface rabbit fish :) I love these guys, and I know they will outgrow the tank, but I will move them into the 75G once that is set up.. I hope I have some time before that becomes a pressing issue :) Years?
Anyway, the Clowns have to show them who's tank this is and the Foxfaces turn their backs to them, as if to say.. "What-ev-urrr.. Talk to my venomous spines.." :) I'm not worried, the Clowns will grow tired of it and the new fish will venture into the rest of the tank giving the Clowns their space.

Anyway, some news, some pics, hope you liked them :)

Later.

ReefApprentice

Wonderfull additions! I love the Gorgonia and the new dusters. I would caution the cowie though they can eat corals and other inverts but that species should be ok.

Konyak

Thanks guys. I woke up to see that my shrimp was enthusiastically toting something around. On closer inspection it was my new electric blue hermit, de-shelled. :( My red legged hermit is fine as usual, so what could have done it in? Could it have been caught out by the shrimp? I saw one dead electric blue in the same tank at the store, so perhaps they had a rough journey, but this one had been moving around for a full day, exploring the tank. Can I claim another at the store? Not had this happen before, don't know what the deal is.

I also found out I had a critter in there I didn't know about before and it took awhile to identify. I noticed these strands appearing out of a tube that I'd recently brought to the surface when moving LR slightly, and the strands were bugging my blenny. I'd remove them but like magic, they seemed to appear out of thin air. Turns out, as you have guessed by now, that it's a vermetid snail and I'm still not sure how much I'm going to be facilitating it's survival.. While it's just the strands that collect and are slightly unsightly and bug my blenny, I'm afraid it might reproduce and my tank will look like New York after Spiderman has traversed it a few times.

Strands coming out of the hole.

Finally, one full tank shot as of now:

Will see what the LFS says about the hermit tomorrow.

Any comments regarding my nitrate test comparison?