K, I placed my order, now what to prepare??

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ok, I can't get ahold of Mag supplement or Mag test...Should I use minimal amount of epsom salt? The corals come tomorrow!

As previously mentioned, do not supplement without testing first. After you get a magnesium test kit and it is found that your water needs mg supplementation, you can either purchase a magnesium supplement or make your own per Randy Holmes-Farley:
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I use Recipe #2 3-A (combination of magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride).

Recipe #2, Part 3: The Magnesium Portion

The magnesium portion again gives us two options, with Part 3A being preferred from an aquarium chemistry standpoint. Pick one and follow the same dosing directions regardless of which version you select.
Recipe #2, Part 3A
Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.​
This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #2, add 305 mL (1 ¼ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.​
The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride.​
Recipe #2, Part 3B
Dissolve a 64-ounce container of Epsom salts (about 8 cups) in enough purified fresh water to make 1 gallon total volume. This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #2, add 305 mL (1 ¼ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.​
The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium and 187,000 ppm sulfate.​

Stacef

I wouldn't recommend adding any supplement until you can test and know the results of the initial test. You may not even need to add any Mg at this time.

Now that you have the Alk and Ca tests, you can at least get started there. If the Mg is low, you'll have a harder time keeping the Ca in the acceptable range and will require a lot more supplementing of Ca.

I agree with Bill though, add Ca/Alk in equal protions.

I am using the 2 part B ionic for Alk/Ca. So they are going to be controlled in equal parts as I add them.

seafansar

I still don't see why you would have to dose calc/alk/mag if you're just keeping softies. Don't you just need those for stonies? Just wondering.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I still don't see why you would have to dose calc/alk/mag if you're just keeping softies. Don't you just need those for stonies? Just wondering.

Nope, coraline algae and the deposition of calcium carbonate on hard surfaces will deplete these ions. Even without SPS these ions have to be balanced for good water quality.

Stace, are they there yet?!:D Oh, it's only 8:22am!

Last edited:

Stacef

I have been watching the tracking like crazy!!

They were about 2 hours away at a sorting facility at 504 this morning. So they should be here anytime!!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Have you charged the camera? box cutter ready? theme from 2001 cued up? Now when I get home from work Ill be looking for pics, so you just get busy ok?

Stacef

The camera is charged! Box cutter, actually sitting by the front door.

Ahh! It's at my FedEx facility! I made sure to put the battery on the charger last night for the camera. Every truck that goes by the house, I am looking out the window to see if it's FedEx!! Don't worry Sas, plenty of pics to come.

Stacef

Ahh they are here!! Although I do not know what some of them are....

I am uploading them to my comp now!

Stacef

You guys are going to hate me! Photobucket is blocked at work!! So I can not upload them as of right now.

Stacef

Hahah, seems that I got here at NOON, I explained to the boss....I had corals that were being delivered and I had to be there to pick them up, I told him I would be in a little after 1030 (the latest they were to arrive) Yup, Ii showed up at 1230. Hahaha, I told him they were late. In all reality, I was sitting stairing at them!