K, I placed my order, now what to prepare??

Stacef

Ok, so now I placed my order with Your Reef Aquarium Supply Home. (I wanted to support an RS sponsor, and they had the best deals on zoa's) So... I am assuming I need to add iodine, but where to start? I have no idea about adding iodine, I am assuming there is a kit for this.

This is what I ordered. Please comment on each one's special needs, I have been looking into them each, but still unsure of what to do!! here it is..

1. pulsing xenia
1. 9 pack of zoa's 10-20 polyps each
1. yellow polyp rock
1. metallic neon green star polyp 2 inch frag
1. frag of clove polyps 2 inch

Feeding, supplements, what to test for, what to add. I am coral stupid!!! haha. Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah, here's the link if some of my descriptions aren't clear...they are all on this page. Your Reef Aquarium Supply Soft Corals

lcstorc

If you don't test for it then don't add it. This is even more true with iodine. It is very easy to overdose on iodine. Most trace elements are added with water changes with a good salt. The only things I add to my reef is calc and alk as needed.

Stacef

Ok, Thanks Lynn, but I am wondering, some of these say that they do require iodine. How do you do it so you don't overdose??

Calc and alk, I will have to be adding these?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
boil water and get towels! no wait thats birthing, um air line for drip acclimation? some well mixed new water for spillage, gloves! have someone dial 91 and wait? have fun lol

Stacef

Hahah sas. My CBS will be ok right? I feel like such a beginner again, (I am at this!!!) so many questions, to many posts. yada yada

lcstorc

If you really want to add iodine (and some do) just get a reliable iodine test and go by the test results. The same f9r the calc and alk.
Don't freak out if the corals do not look good on arival. Many will pout, sometimes for days. Just give them some time and all will be good.

Stacef

These are pictures from the website, these are YSWYG. So, in addition to the four below, there are going to be 9 different kinds of zoa's.

Frag of clove polyps 2 inch
2inchpurpleclove.jpg

Metallic neon green star polyp 2 inch
neongreen.jpg

Pulsing Xenia
pulsingxenia.jpg

Yellow polyp rock
yellowpolyprock.jpg

kathywithbirds

Yeah, no worries mate. Calc and alk tests are OK, you're OK. I sometimes kinda add a teeny bit of calcium, when I remember.

Some people :look: don't even acclimate, just a quick FW dip (temp and PH same as tank) and in they go!

Yeah, they'll be PO'd for a day or so, maybe a half hour, maybe a week... I had GSP mad at me for weeks once... but they'll be fine.

vdituri

boil water and get towels! no wait thats birthing, um air line for drip acclimation? some well mixed new water for spillage, gloves! have someone dial 91 and wait? have fun lol

Perfect! Sas the midwife to the rescue!!!!! :sinking:

I recently got some of those clove? polyps in your first pic. Within a couple of days they were sending out runners and sprouting new polyps. I think I just introduced a plague upon my tank. I would put them on a separate rock for a couple months and decide for yourself.

Stacef

I will do that Victor, thanks! I will put them a rock that isn't to easy to spread from and see what happens. In all honesty I would like my rock covered, although, I do not want all of these stinging each other. We'll see what happens!

Stacef

So this weekend I need to purchase,
Calc
Calc test
Alk
Alk test

Is this it? Or should I do iodine to??

funkpolice

For calcium/alk, I like the B-Ionic two part stuff. It's not very expensive, and pretty easy to dial in. Thats all I've had to add to my tank so far. I use oceanic salt and all my test are good to date.
bill

seafansar

I don't have any myself, but I've been told you should drip acclimate pulsing xenia slowly or it will die. And if you take it out of the water it stinks and they seem to do better when you turn off your skimmer. Just what I've heard.
I have some zoas. I only add cal/alk two part stuff. I've only had everything a little over a month, but all seems well. I got some tubs blues that started with 4 polyps and now has 22 polyps in just one month! The other zoas aren't budding so quickly though. Dunno why, maybe I just got some super tubs!
You may invest in magnesium and iodine tests in the future, but I don't think you have to worry that much about them for the time being. Also I don't think it matters if you add cal/mag since you just got softies. I do because I have some sps.