K, I placed my order, now what to prepare??

funkpolice

I think Xenia is kind of a mystery. Some people just throw it in the tank, others need very long acclimations. I would acclimate as long as your patience allows.
bill

Stacef

Thanks for the help guys.

Today at the lfs they only had some of the stuff we needed. So we are making a 2 hour drive tomorrow to our next closest SW supplier.

What I got today was:

Kent Marine-Liquid Calcium
SeaTest-Calcium test kit
Kent Marine-Iodine

So I need to pick up, test kit for Iodine, alk test, and alk?

So should I get mag? and mag test?

Let me know, we are leaving at 6 am tomorrow to go to the lfs, so please get with me before then, this is my last chance to get everything I need to be ready for my corals to arrive!

Also--we are picking up a blue tuxedo urchin tomorrow, from what I have read, he should be fine in with the corals

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You definitely need a Mg test kit. No sense in testing for Alk and Ca without also testing for Mg. They all go hand-in-hand.

Stacef

So I should buy magnesium to add to be safe too right??

I am new to all of this Scott, so be patient!! hahaha.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I apologize if I sounded impatient, that wasn't my intention. Mg is used up pretty fast as it competes with Ca in the deposition of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. Simply put, having the correct level of Mg will help to keep Ca levels high as Mg competes with Ca in the precipitation of calcium carbonate. Mg can be added with medical grade Epsom salt you get at the pharmacy. However, if you don't want to mess with that you could purchase a Mg supplement to have on hand.

Last edited:

Stacef

Scott! I'm sorry, I wasn't calling you out for being impatient you weren't at ALL! I was just trying to say that I am sure I have a lot more questions coming.

**One thing I hate about comps...you can't hear the expression behind something that is being said!!**

Anyways, I think I would feel more comfortable purchasing a Mg supplement.

So, do you suggest to use Iodine or no??

I need to pick up--
Mg test
Mg supplement
Iodine test
Alk supplement?? Is this such a thing?
Alk test.

That will be a pretty bill! Hahah. Ahh well, it has it's luxury--My peace of mind watching the corals sway!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Iodine is one of those supplements that is questionable and I don't want to muddy the water for you. For my tank, I only briefly used it when I had some xenia, that didn't make it. So I stopped supplementing. I have one of those tanks that will not support xenia. I whole heartily agree that if you are going to supplement then test. To be truthful with you, I found the Salifert Iodine test to be a PITA and I couldn't figure out the color chart to save my reef!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Oh, you can supplement Alk and Ca with a 2-part ionic solution like B-Ionic or Two Little Fishes C-Balance or a similar product. It's always best to try and balance these two components. When your tank get more mature and is using a lot of Ca or the Alk is going down fast, you can consider other ways of supplementing like Ca reactors, Kalkwasser drips or the Balling method used in Europe.:D

Stacef

Trust me, it is very overwhelming!!!

Robert---I get them all on Tuesday, trust me, I am a picture FREAK to judge their growth, my camera is not the best for tank shots, so I will have plenty of pics while acclimating also!

santarem85

xenia doesnt seem that mysterious! lol its the most abused coral in my tank, only because it has to be cut down so frequently

Stacef

Ok so,

Today I was able to pick up B-Ionic.

I now have, B-Ionic
Calc test
Iodine
Iodine Test
I can't get my hands on Mag, or Mag test OR Alk test.

We drove 2 hours one way today and went to several stores there, NOTHING my LFS can't even get any of the three right now. What's the deal? So... Should I use the B ionic even though I can't test for Alk at the moment? The corals come on Tuesday. What should I do? Do I need to go another two hours up to Madison, Wi tomorrow to try and get Mag and test kit???? Help!

funkpolice

I would order test kits online. In the mean time, use the min. dosage written on the bottle to start with. Then increase the amount until your calcium is right. I think you should use equal parts of each. I think it's hard to have your alk dangerously high, so you should be ok until you get the test.
bill

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Congrats on your coral purchases :thumbup:
I recommend testing and supplementing the following: PH, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and nitrAtes.
Depending upon which salt mix you use (not all have the same values of the above), you may need to supplement all newly mixed salt water to reach the disired levels:
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Use this calculator to determine exactly how much supplement to use:
Reef Chemistry Calculator

Regular weekly water changes using a good saltmix should provide everything your reef needs. Only once the reef becomes heavily stocked (or lack of water changes is an issue) is when you will need to supplement your reef tank.
Continue testing weekly for the above values to keep an eye on the values.

Stacef

Thank you Doni!! Those links helped a ton!

I am excited to get these corals on Tuesday, but very nervous about doing it wrong. I still can't get ahold of Mag before Tuesday. I called the stores up in another area and they don't have it either!

Stacef

I apologize if I sounded impatient, that wasn't my intention. Mg is used up pretty fast as it competes with Ca in the deposition of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. Simply put, having the correct level of Mg will help to keep Ca levels high as Mg competes with Ca in the precipitation of calcium carbonate. Mg can be added with medical grade Epsom salt you get at the pharmacy. However, if you don't want to mess with that you could purchase a Mg supplement to have on hand.

Ok, I can't get ahold of Mag supplement or Mag test...Should I use minimal amount of epsom salt? The corals come tomorrow!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Ok, I can't get ahold of Mag supplement or Mag test...Should I use minimal amount of epsom salt? The corals come tomorrow!

I wouldn't recommend adding any supplement until you can test and know the results of the initial test. You may not even need to add any Mg at this time.

Now that you have the Alk and Ca tests, you can at least get started there. If the Mg is low, you'll have a harder time keeping the Ca in the acceptable range and will require a lot more supplementing of Ca.

I agree with Bill though, add Ca/Alk in equal protions.