Just picked up as RSM-34. Any recommended mods or fixes?

Surfnut

Just picked up as RSM-130. Any recommended mods or fixes?

I helped a friend tear down her RSM-130. We transferred her setup into a new 60g Cube: Beautiful tank. She was nice enough to give me the RSM-130 and stand. I'm going to give the tank a good cleaning with vinegar tomorrow. This particular tank is a little over 2 years old. I'm curious as to whether there are any issues that should be addressed prior to assembly. Or if there are any must-have mods.

She did inform me that she upgraded from the original 2 pump design to the updated single pump: Which she ordered from RedSea. She ran a chiller on her unit whereas I will be reinstalling the fan that came with the hood. How are these lil buggers in regards to temperature fluctuation?

And last but not least; Will the stock T5 setup be enough juice for SPS specimens or is LPS about as far as you want to go in these. - Clams?

Still trying to decide on a direction for the tank,...

Thank you

Last edited:

jrbass

Tunze skimmer and Steve T media rack. As far as the chiller I had to do one to keep that fluctuation of the temps in check with the heat of the t5s and sealed lid design. Others say an ATO and that is on my to do next list.

reefer gladness

Re: Just picked up as RSM-130. Any recommended mods or fixes?

She ran a chiller on her unit whereas I will be reinstalling the fan that came with the hood. How are these lil buggers in regards to temperature fluctuation?

And last but not least; Will the stock T5 setup be enough juice for SPS specimens or is LPS about as far as you want to go in these. - Clams?

As I recall these tanks run about 6-7 degrees F above room temp and the fan will probably pull that down 2-3 degrees F. An ATO is a good idea especially considering the increased evaporation from running a fan.

I think the stock lighting is marginal for SPS corals, it will depend on the coral and the depth in the tank. Also, if the T5 bulbs have not been replaced recently I would do that first before adding any corals. They need to be replaced at least once a year.

The SteveT media rack is a great addition for any RSM tank IMO, I'd hold off on any other upgrades until you've had more time with the tank. Everything can be upgraded in time if needed, the only stock piece left on my 130D was the timer but I wouldn't necessarily recommend all the same mods for others.

Surfnut

Thank you for the input folks. I think I'm going to go simple this time around. I'm thinking a bit of rock:Vanuatan Lace if I can find some decent pieces. Several species of macro algae to support a large pod population: A few candy canes amongst the algae. The central piece to the tank will be a Platygyra. Fish will consist of a Mandarin Dragonet and a small pipefish or two. Perhaps an Orchid Dottyback and a couple of Clown Gobies. Finish it off with a Scooter Blenny.

I thought of arranging the majority of the rock in a horseshoe shape surrounding an island of rock in the middle: With the opening of the horseshoe facing front. The arms of the horseshoe would be fairly short on the front and get taller as they came together in the back of the tank. The candycanes and macro-algae will be arranged on the horseshoe .The center island will be for whatever type of Platygyra I opt to go with.

Considering the size of the fish I intend to put in this tank I don't think I'll be overstocked. The largest fish in the tank will be the Mandarin. Cleanup crew to consist of blue leg hermits and bumblebee snails. Stomatella snails as well. I'll make sure the tank has micro-brittlestars. A small yellow cucumber. A small linkia starfish should round things out nicely.

Can anyone think of a small sand sifter I can add to the tank? Sand sifting starfish would starve as would a small sand dollar I would think. I've only ever found sand sifting shrimp once and they were quite large: 4"-5" long. On the off chance I could find a tiny specimen I guess it could work. I think I tigertail cucumber would grow far too large too quickly in a tank this size.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats on your RSM 130D ! If you need any help with the tank, the RSM Club on RS knows them well, lots of great advise in the Club.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/

On the husbandry & sw keeper side... I know you have lots to share with all RS ! Look forward to seeing it progress !

I always enjoy your post !

still wish you update your avatar ;) it creeps me out every time I see it - no offense...