Juan's Super Big 12 Gallon Nano

jpsika08

probably would or one of those small ice probe type chillers.

Once I decide of which corals to go with I'll see if the chiller is needed (Knowing me, it will be LOL).

Looks like it said Sony for a second. Whats the height of the tank? I say this because, from research on LED's on here, 3 watts are recommended. Never could find out how tank height factored into that.

Thanks, the tank has 12" of height, I know what you mean, this is why check my Updated Post below :D

Looks great Juan, have fun with it!!!

Thanks Tom :D

Hahahahahahaha…..
Your skimmer’s size,….. hhahahahaha

Nice office tank Juan, a touch off gold….
It’s great that they come with a LED system now.

I have a biocube 14 and love it since day one, in fact this was my first tank and is currently running.

Nice new project!!!

LMAO!!! I know, that skimmer is too funny, my coffee cup hold more water than that LOL.
Thanks Harold check my Upgrade (Below post), maybe it will interest you for your Nano.

jpsika08

Well, as Steve wisely said above, I can't have a regular tank, some mods needed to be done, here are some pics and a video:

As shown before, these are the super LED systems that the tank brought,
IMG_1042.jpg

I thought to myself 'What if' I would like to add a clam (Crocea maybe) or have a different color in the reef:
So I began disassembling the freaking thing, (Too many screws found underneath LOL):
IMG_1043.jpg

And just the skeleton with fans:
IMG_1050.jpg

These are the lights I chose, two Ecoxotic 19watt (Each) Pro Stunners, one Only Blue and one RGB, perfect fit:
IMG_10611.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

I drilled some holes to screw these lights in:
IMG_1048.jpg

And as if factory made, cable went in swiftly:
IMG_1049.jpg

Now the Re-Assembling part, as you can see the LEDS transformer was removed and instead I placed this small white box, this is the RGB Stunner light Remote control module:
IMG_1051.jpg

And cables were arranged also so everything would be nicely done:
IMG_1052.jpg

Fixing in the lights and plate:
IMG_1053.jpg

Then the protective plastic cover:
IMG_1054.jpg

As you can see with the lid closed no mod is seen:
IMG_1055.jpg

And Lights on:
IMG_1056.jpg

Here is the remote, picture and video on how it works:
IMG_1057.jpg

12 Gallon Nano with Ecoxotic Pro RGB and Blue Stunners - YouTube

Next step,adding rock and water from my DT so it will be basically bacteria colonized from day one.

Thanks for watching

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I like the lights!

Of course I'd be the one freaking my fish out by making it look like a disco scene from Boogie Nights...

....Salt Changes Everything....

Built347

LMAO Rob, soon if I can plumb from my office to my house (8 kilometers) LOL

Juan!! That's it?... cmon why wasn't the "Juan pipeline" in the original plans... man you are really confusing all of us with this nano tank... is this really Juan?.. if it really is why does your office not have a fish room? why haven't you come up with a way to put this nano tank in your wall or in your desk? If it must go on your desk why are you not making a drawer into a pullout sump?. What is the meaning of life? Juan! Do u have any idea how to take care of a 12 gallon tank? I'm overwhelmed for u!!. you could throw a dead human in your home system and have no ill effects... a fly landing in a 12g will send it spiraling....... whew!.. as u can tell these questions have been building up... haha.. u da man Juan! :)

dmatt88

OK. Juan ur my hero. My inner guide won't let me follow a tank build under 200 gallons. Add a 188 gallon sump n I'm so there.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

jpsika08

Im sure you'll figure it out or you'll build a 500g sump for it

I have seen a couple of places where plumbing can go though :rolleyes LOL

:drooool: I'm not worthy.... I'm not worthy!!

Gonna do a search for that mod kit a bit later. I'd like one for a 30 inch fixture.

Any help or questions you might have, just shoot :)

I like the lights!

Of course I'd be the one freaking my fish out by making it look like a disco scene from Boogie Nights...

....Salt Changes Everything....

Hahaahahaa, tomorrow I will video the demo mode which is Boogie nights, and as it's Friday what perfect day to do this.

awesome mod Juan!

Thanks Reggie :D

So when do we get wet?

Tomorrow :)

Juan!! That's it?... cmon why wasn't the "Juan pipeline" in the original plans... man you are really confusing all of us with this nano tank... is this really Juan?.. if it really is why does your office not have a fish room? why haven't you come up with a way to put this nano tank in your wall or in your desk? If it must go on your desk why are you not making a drawer into a pullout sump?. What is the meaning of life? Juan! Do u have any idea how to take care of a 12 gallon tank? I'm overwhelmed for u!!. you could throw a dead human in your home system and have no ill effects... a fly landing in a 12g will send it spiraling....... whew!.. as u can tell these questions have been building up... haha.. u da man Juan! :)

Hahaha Devon, after reading this I began wondering where I was, I had to find me at a mirror LOL.

OK. Juan ur my hero. My inner guide won't let me follow a tank build under 200 gallons. Add a 188 gallon sump n I'm so there.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

LOL, I will have to plan the 188 sump Matt, or maybe use the city pipelines to connect it to my system hmm :ponder2:

Cool nano Juan ! That LED rocks !

Thank you very much Glenn :D

jpsika08

Plan for the upcoming days

1. I will install the MP10, also,
2. I have found four great rocks from my DT very full of life which won't affect the general scape so I'm taking it to the nano tomorrow.
3. Will fill in the nano 50% with my system's water and the other 50% will be new water.
4. Will kick start the tank and let it be one week and see how the params are (Hopefully no increase in ammonia from die-off from rocks).
5. Introduce all my softies there on Friday the 15th (If all goes well).

1357HA

Nice mods Juan.
The ecoxotic LED bulbs have a great color expectrum, I like them even more that the AIs.
So you will go with softies on this one...
Sounds like a good plan, sure you have some work to do.
Also, one thing that you can try is to use one of the rear compartments for a Refugium filled with cheato. The cheato at my nano grows like crazy and works as a copepod hotel. The trick there is place the white light as near as possible to the cheato.
Now, MP10 for this, wowww, sure you will have a great coral movement = relax in the office.
Can't wait to see the rock scape and the lights in action with the water moving....

jpsika08

Thanks guys,. :)

Harold, thanks for the recommendation on the fuge I will let my mind flow on that one :D

jpsika08

Ok, the tank is running now and as rocks and water came from the DT this tank need no cycling, even baby snails are crawling on the glass.

here some pics:
Rockscape, need more rock I think:
IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Power of the MP10:
IMG_1072.jpg

Not to mention the super skimmer (Really hard to configure, will let it run for a while so it can break in):
IMG_1073.jpg

I will check params on Monday, leaving for a business trip on Tuesday and on Friday (Which I'm already back) will introduce my polyps and softies.