Juan's 85 Gal Mantis Lair

jpsika08

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
jpsika08 said:
LFS will bring in Fred tomorrow, I don't have the guts to do it myself LOL

Smart man... Make sure he counts his fingers before he leaves the house... Lol.

....Salt Changes Everything....

Blue Space

Hmmm... Fred? How about Rock-a-feller?! Cuz he's gonna rock that feller when he bashes them up side the head and with a house like that he's definitely going to need a "bigger" name than Fred. The notorious Rock-a-feller! Man, that has a great ring to it! :D

jpsika08

Hmmm... Fred? How about Rock-a-feller?! Cuz he's gonna rock that feller when he bashes them up side the head and with a house like that he's definitely going to need a "bigger" name than Fred. The notorious Rock-a-feller! Man, that has a great ring to it! :D

Ding Ding Ding that's a great name! The Notorious Rock-A-Feller LOL, thanks.

So here onward he will be called The Notorious Rock-A-Feller

hey Juan,is Fred a spearer or smasher?

Reggie, Rock-A-Feller is a smasher.

Alright Juan!!

Thanks Devon :D

PIMPALA

open top + peacock = dangerous. Mine jumped out of the open top twice before i got a lid

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
open top + peacock = dangerous. Mine jumped out of the open top twice before i got a lid
Remembering back I think Jason is the one who recommended lids.. I've never seen mine bounce off the lid but seeing her jet across the aquarium its not hard to see why lids are a good idea...

StirCrayzy

Reggie, Rock-A-Feller is a smasher.

I dont know much about mantis, but love to watch them.
i thought they could choose whether to smash or spear at will, by just extending the thingy if needed during strike?

Juan, will we have the pleasure of live cam?

PIMPALA

i thought they could choose whether to smash or spear at will, by just extending the thingy if needed during strike?

No sir. The smasher and the spearer have two different types of appendages. One looks like a hammer, and one looks like a spear. Smashers mostly eat snails, crabs, bivalves, and small inverts. They rarely eat live fish, unless they are slow moving, or the mantis is very hungry and catches one sleeping. The spearers mostly dine on fish and small crustations.

They also require different habitats and different types of homes, and prefer different types of substrate. But I won't go into all that on Juan's thread.

The tank looks awesome buddy!

jpsika08

Thanks Jason, the tank is full covered on the top right now, don't want to take any chances.

Remembering back I think Jason is the one who recommended lids.. I've never seen mine bounce off the lid but seeing her jet across the aquarium its not hard to see why lids are a good idea...

Thanks Devon, I wouldn't want to go in the fishroom and surprise, Rock-A-Feller crawl on me smashing my head hahahaah

Hey Josh, I have had trouble with my home internet, it's already working, please let me know if you can access, I will point it towards the Lair.

No sir. The smasher and the spearer have two different types of appendages. One looks like a hammer, and one looks like a spear. Smashers mostly eat snails, crabs, bivalves, and small inverts. They rarely eat live fish, unless they are slow moving, or the mantis is very hungry and catches one sleeping. The spearers mostly dine on fish and small crustations.

They also require different habitats and different types of homes, and prefer different types of substrate. But I won't go into all that on Juan's thread.

The tank looks awesome buddy!

Jason, please provide as much information as you can, it's really helpful and very welcomed.