Josh's SuperReef 65

StirCrayzy

Here a couple minute vid of where im at with the DT. Just mocked up the overflow box with cardboard.
[video=youtube;Odoopi3LX5A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Odoopi3LX5A[/video]
The black PolyPipe is the Feed into the CL plumbing, in theory the pump sitting on top of it (yes im going to cut it shorter). This will be an unsealed area, open to the tank from the bottom with the front pane of the overflow box hiding the pump from plain sight. possibly adding a lower pane because viewing angle is low from the couch.
Im unsure how much flow is needed into this CL system since it will be pushing down 24" underwater. The available space in that box will let me use either my maxiJet (275gph), or a new RIO 1700(600 gph). decisions decisions.
Also the small triangular area on the opposite side will allow wiring to be run from the back of the tank, directly under the overflow, hopefully hiding it well.

StirCrayzy

If you run 5w and 3w led's on the same driver than the led's will only output what the driver is set for resulting in either 3w that are run to hot or 5w run at 3w power. Def put em on seperate drivers to get the correct usage out of them.
Duly Noted and good points to bring up when others may look at mixing Bulb types.

Mine are actually all seperated by power handling characteristics per driver output, exception being 3 XTEs running at 700 ma, but they are only for the Fuge anyway,so i wont complain about underdriving those. All of my XMLs will run on ONE 60-27-D driver @ 2300ma , and the other driver will run 14 XTEs at 1000ma.
So they are matched pretty well, and im not after a multi color DT setup, just didnt want to be stuck with the generic Cool whites& RBs that came with the kit, when i knew i wanted ATS and some neutrals and UV to mix in.
That and i wanted XMLs for my whites.
Thanks for your comments.

StirCrayzy

Thanks Joe, good to have you along!

I picked up a RIO1700 for the in-tank closed loop, and ordered the stand/canopy yesterday.
Now pressure is on my wife to choose the stain color.
The canopy will be 8" high, no doors, and the light will be attached to it.
i need to devise a lift mechanism eventually.

StirCrayzy

Progress!
I now have the Drilling completed successfully! 4 holes was not an easy endeavor for 1st attempt at this.
but nothing cracked , hopefully im in the clear.
Tomorrow ill start mounting plumbing to finalize overflow dimensions.
My stand and canopy will be arriving soon also.
[video=youtube;FyUkoCbRQPo]

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

Slowly completing step by step. Heres the plumbing ready for glue.
[video=youtube;GDNTealTvls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDNTealTvls&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

And the not so permanent state of my stand. Not very excited about the door inserts.

photobucket-44283-1368621687543_zps4a0b9858.jpg

Last edited:

Basile

Really cool Josh ! Enjoyed your thread. Listen you've seen my project too, i'm changing lots of stuff too. One of the thing is i'm converting from a total Calfo drain system to a semi one. I'm merging the Calfo overflow with a syphon drain system. Meaning i'll keep a coast 2 coast overflow of 1 1/2 " that flows into a external box that'll house the syphon pipes, so i don't loose too much tank space. Think that'll work? Your is really comming great i whish i had your talent , in planing and execution.

StirCrayzy

Dude, you have a huge talent in design and execution. Dont sell yourself short.
your old tank was even ahead of its time and top quality!
And many folk s around here wont forget your innovative stalactite !

Glad you found my thread, your input is greatly valued.

How are you going to attach the box to the back of your tank? Just silicone, or hang on the rim?

Basile

Dude, you have a huge talent in design and execution. Dont sell yourself short.
your old tank was even ahead of its time and top quality!
And many folk s around here wont forget your innovative stalactite !

Glad you found my thread, your input is greatly valued.

How are you going to attach the box to the back of your tank? Just silicone, or hang on the rim?

Its not me its them, Miracle Aquariums from Toronto they'll do the two starfire tanks and the steel stand, they have overflow boxes of 24"x 6" x9" and they all assemble that there and deliver at the door, from what i know. They custom build everything. The stand alone is 2K the 100G Reef tank is $ 1200 before drilling the Starfire Maco-Algae Biotopes split tank will be around $ 1 100 before drilling as well, the regular glass sump $ 300. Now for that kina water load i don't know what they do unless their's something i don't know or don't understand on their site. I'll ask on the phone actually good question, before making more plans.Ah one information the back panel is not glass. The starfire tanks are 3 panel starfire glass and the back panel is something else. And my tanks are rimless 1/2" thick, very heavy.Thanks for the kind words by the way thats cool made me smile.:wave:

StirCrayzy

I fixed the doors !
And Yes i Touched up unstained areas where those center blocks were.
IMAG0113_zpsbfbe0811.jpg

Also while I was in there, I put a window in the sump door for fuge viewing.
IMAG0135_ZOE_010_1_zpsff901c26.jpg

Last week I ordered glass to build the overflow, but it may not be ready for a couple weeks because the glass shop has to make a minimum order with the supplier. But I'm excited, because I've never seen overflows built using anything but clear plate glass. And mine will definitely not be a standard style overflow. All I will let on at this point, is that I did my research and the glass I'm using IS chemically inert (food safe).
In lighting news, I've installed the driver panel, 3 dimmers, and ordered a couple extra Neutral white XML LEDs because I'm afraid the tank will end up unnaturally blue. This way I can swap em out once I start testing the DT light.
Revising completion date as we go....

StirCrayzy

Any opinions on using Pond liner to make a catch basin inside the stand.?
My paranoia of disasters, makes me want to catch as much water as possible before it hits carpet.

Basile

Any opinions on using Pond liner to make a catch basin inside the stand.?
My paranoia of disasters, makes me want to catch as much water as possible before it hits carpet.

Boy i'm with you on that one. I'm considering myself a box ; get this ; a box the size of a sand box that would be like 9 feet by 9 feet , would look like a japenese floor kina math with a special tube connected with a pump to a drain in case of a leak in one of the tank in the room . The box would be able to contain at least one of the tank if not more because it would be 4 inch deep . It would actually have a "Whatch your step " sign on the side before entering that side of the room . I'm still considering it. After what happened to me and my tank. As for my carpet i just replaced mine with terracotta tiles. Easier to wipe with a mop.
It was my $ 2800 solution.

StirCrayzy

Well finally major progress. The 40 tall is down, old rock, water, and sand in a brute. Fish and CUC in my 10g QT til the 65 comes home.
Still need to run elec/plumbing and build rocks before getting wet.
But it's close now... Very close.
Here's a vid of my 10g .
[video=youtube;HgIcK39I5pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIcK39I5pw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

It's alive !
Filling now, 30g old water, 50g new .

The rockwork is unfinished, so I'll have this running with just the fuge and scrubber online for a week. Then add sand an rocks then wait for stability before adding fish back.

IMAG0715_zpsa8c95f74.jpg

StirCrayzy

Seems the two 1.25" flare nozzles for my return keep creating a vortex and pulling air down into the tank.
Problem solved if I push them deeper, but then I siphon too much down into sump when the return shuts off.

Would it help to add 2.5" nozzles instead to slow the velocity, or is there something common I'm missing ?

StirCrayzy

Unfortunately I'm going to nix the closed loop rockwork structure I've been building, in the spirit of taking my time and getting it right.
It may go into this tank one day, or I may save it for the next upgrade in a few yrs.
For now, all my rock is in tank, once I get a vision of how to epoxy them together there will be progress.

Basile

Unfortunately I'm going to nix the closed loop rockwork structure I've been building, in the spirit of taking my time and getting it right.
It may go into this tank one day, or I may save it for the next upgrade in a few yrs.
For now, all my rock is in tank, once I get a vision of how to epoxy them together there will be progress.

Whats your specific problem with it?

StirCrayzy

there's not really any problem, I have very little time to be able to finish that part and I would be happier being able to enjoy the tank as it sits for now, and not try to rush through the structure.
This is not a make or break item to have included in this build, just a novelty.
By that I mean that I won't regret not putting it in .
it can always wait until the next build which should be my long term dream tank.