Josh's SuperReef 65

StirCrayzy

The initial sand dump was on Thursday, i waited a day til I could see, then spread it all out. Today I could see again, so I blasted the.rocks, tweaked the rockwork a bit, and wiped down the inside of the glass from all the dust.

1st DT test results, were one week after adding rock to the bare tank.
The BRS dry rock has been cured for a.couple months, and did go through a cycle, huge Ammonia and 55 ppm nitrate readings.
PH 8.2
AMM -0
N03 -0
N04- 0
KH - 8
Ca -460

Now today, 2 days after 60% old /40% new sand added (carib sea indopacific black).
PH 8.2
AMM -0
N03 -0
N04- 10
KH - 9
Ca -450

StirCrayzy

Thanks, still have about 20 lbs of the old rock in the QT, to add when I transfer the fish back in.
Some of those rocks will end up in the fuge, but I don't have a specific plan for fuge inhabitants, so I don't want to overcrowd with rocks just yet.

Hopefully the ATS kicks in and starts bringing down the nitrate.
The green has just started growing, and I'm going to start feeding the tank in hopes my old bacteria and previous system stayed in tact during the transfer.

StirCrayzy

Three days of deli shrimp and Zero ammonia/trites, and 5 trates. I'm willing to accept that there's no cycle, but I'll keep checking daily now that the fish are in.
I don't expect any issues, since this is just basically a tank move, not a new setup.
Also finished putting the rest of the old rock in, Exc one pc I left in th QT for some additional bio filtration when I get the next fish order.
I've been watching DD for the next fishies. Really want yellow striped cardinals like Ian got, a trio would be cool. Hopefully a pygmy possum wrasse will pop up at the same time , or a single perc mate for my male.
Ah well.
CUC is on order (reefcleaners.org), and should arrive Tuesday, hopefully they can get my fuge into good shape so I can take a pic of it.
Functionality improvements need to happen with my sock holders. I drilled holes before I had socks in hand, then to repair I made the correct size holes in a pc of thin plastic and siliconed to the original tray. So a few weeks of sock routine have started to pull the.plastic loose from the tray. Also found a leak where the algae growth is clogging the waterfall slot of the ATS, forcing water to travel down the pipe out of the box. Siliconed the end of the pipe to the box for now. Hopefully when I have enough to harvest, I can just scrape the screen with pipe still in there.
Now onward to the critical part of the update...
Standing view from the right side

Lower view right side

Front view

StirCrayzy

Figured I can add in pics of my fuge, which technically serves no purpose related to a common refugium, so I shall dub it my
"In-Sump Nano".
It's really just an extension of the display, and an isolation area, and where I will float bags for temp acclimation.
These are just after I added the full CUC, so it's not as ugly today, it'll make a good before-after comparo in a few days.
Big thanks to John @ ReefCleaners !! All but a few snails and hermits made it.

The last pic is the reason I made the window, my kids love it.

Mischko

Sweet idea with the display window for the kids.
Just one thing I would already take care of now before it gets out off hands.
The Aiptasias in your sump. I think I already counted 9 there and sooner or later they will spread into your display tank.

StirCrayzy

Thanks for dropping by !

Ha ha, there's probably 100+ in the DT and sump.
I had a model citizen file fish that was keeping them in check, but he got stuck in a rock, and now I have an aiptasia farm !

StirCrayzy

Hmm . Seriously considering this is a legitimate aiptasia food source for other fish .... This literally may turn into a farm.

StirCrayzy

Quick update, I need to open up the slot on the ATS to even out the waterfall.
And I received 2 fish from DD a couple days ago, hope they QT well, I'll be scouring for signs of disease for a couple weeks or so.
No prophylactic treatment except for the FW bath before they went in.
DD claims they do the deworming, which saves a good bit of effort on my part.

[video=youtube;dcU8S4n7tlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcU8S4n7tlY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

StirCrayzy

[video=youtube;1mksGLFnABI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mksGLFnABI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Basile

How big's your Qt ? Do you have or use a skimmer just curious, i'll have to QT my next fishes and like to know as much. Thanks.

StirCrayzy

This one is only 10g. I need a 20g, waiting for the next time petco has a sale.
No skimmer, just a whisper hang-on for filtration. It uses a filter floss cartridge with carbon.

This is the same tank that housed my 2 fish and LR during the 6 weeks it took me to setup the new tank, so the bacterial content should be sufficient to maintain zero ammonia. I usually do WC in this tank using DT water to further acclimate them to the system.

StirCrayzy

Pictorial update ! Got corals in from MRTY last week ! . Pardon my GHA outbreak.
Whammin watermelon zoas, plus a couple unidentified ones mixed in.

Blue symposium

Tyree toadie

The Dan Hammer,

Green goblin acro next to orange crush zoa. (Need to reposition for pics)

Hot lava shortcake

UnNamed bonus stick !

Actinics shots to follow

StirCrayzy

Thx. Glad to finally be adding corals finally.
This has consumed my dreams for the last couple years, it's nice to see the payoff.