JJ's BIG - 125 gallon Upgrade

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Did a little water test and added some sand from the other tank. Right now we are seeing a little ammonia, other than that everything is at 0. Heading out of town on business tomorrow for 3 days so we'll give this thing a few days to brew and hopefully we'll see some numbers coming on when I get back.

catran

They're aquacultured invisible corals, and of course very rare! Glad they are doing so good! Wait until you see them under the actinics, they glow awesome!

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I just got back in town after 3 days and the corals are doing GREAT! Did a quick water test on the new tank and I've got a whole lotta nothing going on. I'm going to add another shrimp to the brew I think.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Very nice looking corals! I haven't read everything but are you having trouble with your cycle?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Just trying to get the cycle going. Added a bunch of skimmate and some sand from my other tank last week and just added my second shrimp tonight. Just seeing a little ammonia so hopefully it will kick into gear soon. We all get anxious for a new tank to cycle but I'm prepared to wait this out until it's ready. Gotta do a water change sometime this week on the other tank so I'll dump that into the new tank as well and also need to move some more rocks over to help seed the new tank as well. I'm at the hurry up and wait stage right now.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
With a 125, your could put 3-4 pieces in there to get it going........best to let the cycle hit hard so that you don't see a mini cycle down the road.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
With a 125, your could put 3-4 pieces in there to get it going........best to let the cycle hit hard so that you don't see a mini cycle down the road.

Good call, but if this thing get super stinky I'm gonna tell the wife you told me to do it lol.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Haha open the windows :).....it will stink but you'll be happy you did it! Are you running a skimmer on the new tank?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
As if last night I've got about 4 shrimp cooking in the tank, it's not stinky yet. I also just added a 1400 gph koralia along with the pair of 550 gph and with the mag 18 choked down to about half throttle I'm starting to see some flow in the tank. It's stirring up some sand but I'm sure that will settle out. I've got one of the 550's behind the rocks so that should help prevent things from getting built up in back and I might break the timer out and see what I can do with that on the pumps to see if we can get a little wave action going. It's amazing I'm at the hurry up and wait stage but there is still a ton to do. I need to get the heater in the sump and figure out what I want to do about a frag rack and get the phos reactor in place and so on and so on.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Heater is now in place and I got the phos reactor in place and going then turned it off until the cycle is over.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Just checked the water and we are still waiting. Have some ammonia but everything else is still 0. It doesn't seem to be doing much so I threw in 4 small raw clams into the mix this morning. I opened up the cabinet door and noticed it's got some lovely fragrance to it, fortunately the better half hasn't noticed that yet. Got my fuge light in today and the darn thing won't mount to the fuge. Think I might just epoxy it to the side of the fuge. Thinking about getting the timer going on the koralias and see how that goes but I don't know if I want to read directions lol. Since there's nothing but rock and sand in the tank it's hard to judge if I have enough flow. What do you guys think, I've got a mag 18 going at about half flow, a koralia 550 behind the rocks, and koralia 550 on the right glass and a koralia 1400 on the left glass. Should I upgrade the 550 on the right to a 1400 or just go with it as is?