JJ's BIG - 125 gallon Upgrade

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Living room is freshly painted. Tank should arrive Wednesday (hopefully). Light is on it's way, ato on the way... Still need to get glass baffles cut for the sump and order a return pump (any suggestions mag 12 maybe?). Then comes the real work of putting this puppy all together.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
It's sump building day, I got baffles cut and the first one is in place drying before I get the other 3 in. Pics will come later.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Well the sump is drying. Left side is for fuge, center return, and right is the skimmer and goodies.

Started with a 40 gal breeder and a bunch of glass
su1.JPG
su2.JPG

Finished Sump, tape still holding while it dries:
su3.JPG
su4.JPG

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
The tank was delivered today, can I hear a woop woop!

Here's the new 125 with dual overflows and the 40 gal sump in front of it.
tk1.JPG

And here's a shot of the new tank with the old 55 gal.
tk2.JPG

Uslanja

Hi jjmoneyman! That tank looks sweet! With the 40 gallon sitting there in front, it's just plain old HUGE!! I want one just like you have!! Tracy, are you reading this??

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I had to buy one new because I couldn't find a used one that was drilled but it's great. Got the back painted today and should start with plumbing tomorrow.

Uslanja

Hi jjmoneyman! I really like the look and size of your new tank. We want to upgrade and have been kicking around different sizes, I'm thinking 125 should be just right! What colour did you paint the back?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Wasn't able to work on the tank this weekend but I've hit it the last couple of evenings. The back is painted blue and I've got the plumbing dry fit ready for gluing. I figured before I even think of adding water I should brace up the flooring. Anyway I cut some 2X6 supports and crawled into the crawl space and started attaching them. I got supports installed and then my step son came down and asked why I was putting supports there. Come to find out I did a great job supporting the kitchen sink! So I crawled around and found out the tank is sitting on a concrete slab. Yup a freaking concrete slab.
So since the step son was around I volunteered him to help mount the light fixture to the ceiling. It's a 72" fixture with 3-150W MH and 4-39W T5's and led moon lights.

So here are a couple of me adding bracing for the kitchen sink:
tnk08.jpg

tnk07.jpg

Here's the new light fixture hanging, don't worry the tank isn't directly over the lights yet until the plumbing is all glued.
tnk09.jpg

tnk10.jpg

Hard to take plumbing pics given the space but here's a couple of shots, I overdid it on the ball valves but since this is my first under tank sump I figured it's better to have too many than too few. I've got one on each drain, one on each return, one leading to the fuge, and one on the return back to the sump if it needs to be diverted.
tnk11.jpg

tnk12.jpg

QuentinB

Lights look good! Funny about the kitchen sink, but glad you lucked out with the tank being over concrete!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looking good! Sorry you went through all that to support the kitchen sink. :eek:h: But, good to find out that the tank is on a slab.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
The plumbing in complete and dry. I just ran a gallon down to each ball valve to make sure there were no leaks to the ball and then let it run through. Did the same on the returns. So far everything looks good. Hopefully I can start rockscaping tomorrow and then we get to fill it up.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Here's another compairson shot of the 55 vs. the 125. The new tank is in it's final resting spot but is going to need a little shimming to get it level. The 55 will be leaving once this one is cycled and ready to go. Hopefully rock work and sand and maybe if my lovely wife doesn't have big plans for me I can start making water tomorrow. At roughly 3 gallons an hour it's going to take a while to fill this thing.

tnk15.jpg

tnwilliams

Great looking tank, I've been scouring stores and CL and online for a while looking for something exactly with those dimensions and coloring- would you mind sharing the make/model?

Good call painting the back blue- I haven't been into reefing that long but along the way I've noticed something very special happens with a blue back and some killer halide lights to give that crisp ice blue/white effect. Unmistakable when you see it, the blue back really adds that "something."

Look forward to following this project!

Last edited:

nunlef

thanks so much for sharing this build. I have gone from a 40 to a 120 to a 55... my 125 gets here in 2 weeks, so I will be watching your thread very carefully. The 125 has great dimensions, I'm excited to see where you go with it. (and i'm looking for rockwork ideas, so post pics soon ;) )