January '08 Photo Contest

Frankie

RS STAFF
What a great turn out! There is still time to upload pictures if there are anymore out there!

Snappy

Here's an old dinner plate sized cap I had a few years ago.

greencap2005.jpg

Scouter Steve

Not as nice as others in here but it is a Monti and one I am proud of in the short time I have had it. Grew it from a small frag to where it is now. Broke a 3 X 5" piece of it a month ago moving the rock to catch a fish.
Entry.jpg

goldenmean

I had to change my entry thanks to Olivert00 and Sharky's Reef
I came home with this beauty today.
Thanks Debbie!
Montipora2.jpg

I noticed that the Green Apple monti cap that I posted above is no longer there since i removed it from the POTM Jan. gallery so I will reposted it.
You can see why I changed my entry. Plus I have gotten a little better with the new camera.
Monti.jpg

Amphibious

I had to change my entry thanks to Olivert00 and Sharky's Reef
I came home with this beauty today.Thanks Debbie!
Montipora2.jpg

I noticed that the Green Apple monti cap that I posted above is no longer there since i removed it from the POTM Jan. gallery so I will reposted it.
You can see why I changed my entry. Plus I have gotten a little better with the new camera.
Monti.jpg
I've been around this hobby a long time and entered many aquarium shows and photo contests. It is my understanding that the PURPOSE of the contest is to show accomplishment one has achieved with the subject of the contest, eg, growth of a Montipora coral in this contest. One's ability to buy a coral and enter it in the contest the same day shows no accomplishment with the coral and only the ability to photograph it. Maybe you missunderstood the PURPOSE of the contest???

If it's not clearly stated in the "rules" of the photo contest maybe it ought to be?

Dick

Frankie

RS STAFF
The rules are as follows:
Rules:
1) One photo per contestant,
2) Photo subject matter must be from the member's tank (or household tank) and must be a Montipora coral,
3) Photos that have previously won any other contest are not allowed,
4) Photos MUST be uploaded to the January '08 Photo Contest Gallery by midnight (EST) December 31st!

Sorry, no moderators or administrators allowed to participate in this contest.

Heis well within his rights to post a new coral he just purchased.

Amphibious

Just so I understand the "rules" Frankie, it is a PHOTO contest, not a, this is what I have accomplished with my Monti since I bought it, contest. So, it doesn't matter that I bought my entry when it looked like this...

MontiCap-6-28-02.jpg

Then, after being in my system for 1 1/2 years it looks like this...

MontiCap-1-12-04.jpg

That growth and pattern has nothing to do with the "contest" just, who can go out shopping and buy the prettiest Monti and enter it in the "contest". What kind of "contest" is that??? It's not fair to any contestant that has achieved growth on their Monti. The person who would go out and buy a coral for the specific purpose of entering it in a contest the next day would better spend their money on a trophy, declare themselves the winner and gloat over their "accomplishment".

As I stated above, "If it's not clearly stated in the "rules" of the photo contest maybe it ought to be?" Maybe RS could have two contests each month, one a popular "photo" contest and another, "Before and after" contest. That would take care of those that need to buy a speciman to enter and those that actually accomplish something with their coral.

As far as I can tell, the rest of the contestants have accomplished growth on their corals.

It's perfectly OK to disagree with me on this. This is just my humble opinion. Take it or leave it.

Dick

Octoman

I don't feel there is any necessity for exclusion from the contest because of how long you have owned the specimen in your photo. As I see it the intention of the contest is as follows...

We all enjoy taking pictures of our tanks. Every month, we enjoy seeing all the pictures of a certain subject that individuals have to offer and we make it fun by voting for the best photo.

As a group, we aren't just judging anyones abilities to grow coral, likewise we aren't just judging photography skills. The rules are very simple and that way, it leaves it up to each individual to decide why they will vote for a photo.

If you choose to vote for a photo because of the growth and success of that specimen in the individuals care, then that is your right and there may be many others who vote similarly.

Dick, I don't disagree with your reason for voting and I think that is the beauty of the contest: Each person can vote for their own reasons. However, I do think that adding more rules and qualifiers to the contest will make it much more exclusive and discourage participation and most likely kill the contest.

Amphibious

I didn't suggest anyone be excluded from the contest. Nor would I because, under the current rules this is allowed.

I'm suggesting the contest is kind of pointless if anyone can buy and enter a coral without having accomplished something with the coral. Oh wait, it was acclimated to their system and a photo was taken.

Perhaps RS should have another photo contest. This could be called, "Let's see who can go out, find, buy and photograph the prettiest coral, fish, invert or whatever the subject of the month. In stead of POM it could be called PPOM (Popular Picture of the Month).

Or, let's state in the current POM contest there are no rules as to the source of the specimen as long as it resides in your tank. Actually, since we are such a diversified group geographically one wouldn't even have to buy the subject at hand because no one would know if it were in your tank. One could just do a close up photo at the LFS or crop it in Photo Shop and enter it. Who would know??? Who on RS would even care???

The rules, far from being complicated would actually make it more fair to everyone if the simple inclusion of a rule that sounds like..."You must have owned the subject for a month (or two or whatever).

It was brought tomy attention via a PM that I'm not alone in my thinking. In part the message stated, "We have had previous members comment about it and some who have stopped entering the contests." I find that interesting, does anyone else???

Dick

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The purpose of this contest is for members to enter photos of corals/fish/anemones, etc. that they once had, currently have or recently bought.

Progress and growth shots are wonderful to share but are not necessary when entering these contests.

I do not intend to implement complex rules. This will remain a fun contest for all :)

mps9506

I do not intend to implement complex rules. This will remain a fun contest for all :)

QFT.
We do appreciate the input Dick. But keep in mind this is just a fun little photo contest for us to encourage members to use photography to share whatever is in their tanks.
This is not intended to be a serious photography or specimen of the month type competition. Just a fun way for us to share pictures and let folks get a tiny little bit of recognition for pushing a shutter button and sharing it with us here.

goldenmean

Hi Amphibious!
I understand and respect what you are saying.
You have an photo of an spectacular monti and of corse it matters that you have grown out that coral over time. Look at it! I can only hope to have as much success with it as you have with yours.

I do want to let you know that I did not buy that monti just so I could enter and win the contest. I enter the contest because it is fun and I never have any expectations of receiving any votes let alone winning a contest. To me that is not the point of the contest. I have been searching for nearly two months for some eye catching montipora at a decent price. Of corse when I found some corals to my liking I wanted to show them off. This months contest has so many montis including yours that not only are more spectacular than mine but they are photographed much better too. Yet I enter the contests because it is fun!

Last month the contest was angel fish which I do not have any. I was not about to go buy an angel fish just to enter the contest. That would have been wrong for the angel fish and for my reef tank.

Good Luck on the contest!

Amphibious

The purpose of this contest is for members to enter photos of corals/fish/anemones, etc. that they once had, currently have or recently bought.

10/4, got the message. No need to shout it out. :thumbup:

mps9506 said:
We do appreciate the input Dick. But keep in mind this is just a fun little photo contest for us to encourage members to use photography to share whatever is in their tanks.

OK, got the message. Thanks for not shouting.

goldenmean said:
Hi Amphibious!
I understand and respect what you are saying.

Thanks, everyone for straightening me out. I misinterprited the name of the contest. It is a PHOTO contest, not (in this case) a coral contest. My bad.

May the best photo win.

Dick

hma

I do not understand the excitement honestly said. I have also read the Posts of Amphibious, but I dont understand his statements. Amphibious, purchase also such a nicely coloured Monti for the competition. Do you seriously believe somebody do that for a, excused please, fun contest?

I could win this contest now already three times, every time with pictures of animals I maintain already for many years. To me personally it is no matter whether a winner his animal only few days ago has acquired, or already for many years successfully maintains. The joy and the fun in the hobby are what me humanely touched, the pictures of our animals reflect this joy. It is THIS what in my eyes counts and not how long and how successfully a participant maintains his animals.

This is not directed against Amphibious, only my personally opinion.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I just noticed looking in the uploaded photo's that Dobejazz has two pictures uploaded. You can only have one picture in this contest.
Good luck to the contestants! I am excited to see who wins. :D

mps9506

To me personally it is no matter whether a winner his animal only few days ago has acquired, or already for many years successfully maintains. The joy and the fun in the hobby are what me humanely touched, the pictures of our animals reflect this joy. It is THIS what in my eyes counts and not how long and how successfully a participant maintains his animals.

:thumbup:
I don't even think many folks care if they win or not, it's all for fun and sharing what you have or used to have.
Heinz also showed the spirit of the contest last month when he gave the prize to Lee with her freshwater angels.

Now back to the topic at hand, we need more monti pictures! :)

mps9506

I obviously can't enter. But here is an encrusting red/pink monti I had, complete with beautiful slimey algae:
379redcap.jpg