Ians RSM 250 thread - better late than never.

alfaman

Hi guys,

I have been reading for a long time and finally got around to creating my new red sea max thread. The story so far...

5 years ago, we wanted fish, i wanted marine but decided it was too expensive and complicated so came home with a dog, last year the motion to go marine route was inspired by wanting to give up smoking so needed a new hobby. I knew NOTHING about fish keeping or marine fish, corals, testing etc and i mean nothing. My father has always kept fish but other than looking at them, i didn't do anything related to keeping them.

So on the 10-10-10 at 10:10am I decided to light up my last cigarette and started my replacement hobby of Marine. I used my already expensive hobby of smoking to fund another expensive hobby which is marine.

Like many newbies, I started to read up a few months before purchase and straight away I had decided to go with the all in one route, the 130 looked too small so i went out a bought a 250 before I had time to change my mind, i knew nothing and decided to just read lots, act on the most regular sounding advice and listen to others. Fortunately i found a friend online called Kevin from Redsea who was my lifeline at first, a few panic attacks and I was over the cycling period.

So what have i learned in this hobby in such a short time, well patience is key, it's not about looking after fish or corals, it's about looking after water. After having already catching White spot early on and also velvet disease, I made sure that i also set up a quarantine tank, even right now I have a PJ Cardinal in waiting to join the 250 family.

Unfortunately i didn't take many pictures, however what i do have is recent pics which i will upload. I know I have some messy positioned corals but right now until i get my lock line, things are staying glued in odd places, anyway i hope that this non smoking fueled tank by a complete newbie goes some way to inspiring any complete novices into starting this wonderful yet expensive hobby.

Living in Romford Essex I also use Amwell and Swallow for my corals however I am also using the complete REd seas reef program and can happily put down some fantastic growth to these products by regular testing and adjusting to grow the corals as fast as possible and with excellent results.

Many thanks for reading if you did. (please excuse any spellings as typing on mobile)

Video of tank after 4months: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRc-XvgEB00&sns=em
Channel clips and corals up close: www.youtube.com/redseamax25o

Hopefully these are not too boring? I guess you have seen it all by now.

Ian

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Ian - thanks for starting a tank thread - looking forward to the pics & congrats on the beautiful RSM 250 ! Sounds like you are off to a good start & have learned some real keys ! and congrats on trading smoking for the reef tank - great trade !

alfaman

Thanks guys, i just added some video links to the above as camera lead is on missing list and android phone images are too large to upload to the site.

imaccat

Hi Ian, welcome to RS

Glad to see another Essex boy on the forum! I use Swallows most of the time and have visited Amwells a couple of times. There is also a new LFS in Brentwood called H2o Aquatics that you may want to take a look at if you haven't already. It's quite small bit had some fantastic corals when I visited, albeit a bit pricey.

alfaman

I also know Whitepearl250 who has also helped me out with advice along the way but thanks to all for reading this thread and for all the tips in the other areas of the site.

Ian

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great to see you start the tank thread Ian! Beautiful tank, fish and corals. I really like those Anthias!

alfaman

Oooh thanks. I am looking for a dosing unit now though. Will have a read up but if anyone can suggest any, I'd appreciate it.

alfaman

And now for the pics as promised, I had to take them on my phone though so hope quality is ok?

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

99.JPG

3.JPG

alfaman

Thanks jimmy, I really wasn't sure what people would say about my tank if honest as I know it's not the most natural looking tank and that's because I am concentrating on growing everything.

But I have been trying to get one of these to finish off the tank Jim, any chance that you would be willing to frag as yours looks like it's out grown your tank.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2813646620066877364Nhknai