I am buying 500 lbs of LR

Stacef

I am buying 500lbs of LR from somebody local. (Dont worry Steph, I got a perfect match of male and female!:dance: :laughroll )

Anyways, I can't pass this deal up, I am getting it at $2/lb. It's covered in Coraline, and does have some hair algae, and cyano right now.

BUT! I am not setting up my 220 until around July/August. So until then I am going to put it all in tubs in my basement with a heater, light, and my Koralia 4, and other powerheads.

What else should I do for it? Do I need to do regular water changes? Isn't this LR going to be covered in algae if sitting for 2-3 months??

I want to keep the coraline alive, it's covered and looks great (a problem I have with my current rock) I will not be needing it all, probably selling it to break even to folks on here that need a break on the darn cost of ROCK! Anyways, what else should I do to keep it stored, and still alive??

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's sort of catch 22. If you weren't worried about the coraline you could just got LIGHTLESS for this time and it will take care of it. But the coraline needs SOME light which will also feed the HA. The good news is that lack of "Feeding for fish" will cut WAY down on the other nutrients so that should help cut down on HA. I would do a heavy water change every couple of weeks to get rid of build up and any nutrients. I've never had this problem of too much rock (lucky you) but I think that's how I would handle it.

I'd also scrape and clean as much HA off of it before putting into my holding tanks to try and minimize how much survives.

We need pics :)

JWarren

One big tub would be ideal. no need for light whats available will be fine. Lot's of circulation and a skimmer would be good. No need to filter the water, but you should maintain chemistry levels. I wouldn't worry about the hair, lack of light and the skimmer, will deal with it, but a good scrubbing never hurts. I'm with Al on the water change, you want to keep it clean but not so clean that you kill the rock and what is living on it.

Stacef

You guys are wonderful. John you said "what will be available will be fine" it will be in the basement...so no light really is available.

I do not have a skimmer for the tubs, I guess I could buy one, it's worth it in the end! When I pick it up I will scrub it enough to get the HA off.

I will definately add chaeto to. Anything else I should add?

Major water changes every other week will be done.

Stacef

I don't have it yet, will be picking it up mid next week. I need to get tubs and everything for transporting also. And have everything ready on my end for when we get it here!

But be sure I will take pics!!!

Kensn

Might consider this.. Run dark for a while, this and the fact that you will have no fuel for the fire, as far as the HA goes, should get rid of that. Then you may want to color it back up by providing some light to it for a bit. The cheato will need some sort of light to survive also..

edit... This might be a gimme...but I would shake the rock really well in a tub of water while you are scrubbing it. All kinds of detruis will come out...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Oh, and you might want to schedule a massage for after the move, just to get it on the books!:lol:

fishnu

Stace I kept my 90 lbs LR for almost 5 months in my basement, and while I lost alot of the coralline, I did not maintain much lighting....one 20 inch 10000K.

Good news is it seems to be coming back pretty quickly. I think you do need light to maintain it.

John

PEMfish

You will need a skimmer for the aquarium you are planning to set up, so buy it now. And until you have your tank, use the skimmer for the rock.

RyanG

I would just put it in one or two large rubbermaid totes even if you hang a couple of cheapo flourescent shop lights over them it would be better than nothing! Id buy the skimmer now and if you have to use two tubs just plump them together with pvc and silicone the hell out of them. Id drop in a mag-drive pump to if it were me IMO

fishnu

I had 2 rubbermaid tubs connected with 1.5" pvc, a g2 and an or3500 running for months. It worked well, except when the rubbermaid tubs gave out!

SJS

Yep - the proper ratio of male to female is important!! Congrats - you are one busy girl - new rock, new house, remember to take some time to take care of yourself!! Are you going to pick up the rock before you move? If so, schedule a second massage!!

msbdiving

Nice deal on the rock. Lightless should be fine if nothing is in there. As for the coralline, the spores are there. It should bounce back in no time. Can't wait to see the pics. Are you doing a chronicle? I have been out for a while and haven't been paying attn. Good on the male female mix, one of the first things to consider.

glampka

If you're planning on no light or low light you need to separate the males from the females. If you don't, there'll be one massive orgy & you'll end up with babies all over the place

althea2you

omg.. babies!! i love when they are babies!!! so cute!!! but then they get big and try controlling that. humpff... i would suggest seperating the male and female too! ;) so 500 pounds?! thats a crazy amount of rock... pictures when you get! i jjust wanna see what 500 pounds all together looks like! :D

naperenterprise

Can someone explain this male female thing with live rock?
Or is this another RS inside Joke I just missed...lol

I'm confused, and its early, only had one cup of coffee so far ;)

Stacef

Steph--I know we are going to be VERY busy, plus my sisters wedding is in June. I'm MOH so it's going to be hectic, I am going to be home (Michigan) most of June, sucks!

Gary--I think I am going to get two different tubs, they NEED to be seperated, next thing I know I'll have 1500 pounds, they reproduce like darn bunnies.

Sarah--The babies are cute and all, but I don't think I can handle of the hell makers! There will be a lot of them!

Jason--I will find the link of the babie making rock to catch you up!