Votes: 19 13.9%
  • $2001 - $2500

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • $2501 - $3000

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • $3000 +

Votes: 68 49.6%

• Total voters
Well I really dont keep track but come on, tank and lights were $1000 alone! Plus everything else oh man I don t even want to know the totals. But i would say that the $3000 mark is not even close to the cost of my mixed reef.
RS member R.YumaDaddy aslo must have at least 600 dollars worth of corals invested in my reef tank as well.(Many Thanks)

If my friends/family knew the cost of this im sure they would be less supportive of my hobby but I gave up smoking cigs, drinking and other nasty habbits to only pick up this healthy and expensive hobby

bla bla bla already said too much

zimboy

My 48 gallon cost me about $600 to set up, and i already had the tank, stand and filter. It is also lightly stocked and all the other equip is diy.

I'm setting up a 125 gallon with a 55 gallon sump, all this is diy, i have everything but lights and a main pump, and i'm running at $1200 atm... no livestock or rock except whats in the 48.. so yea, this is expensive for sure, but well worth it..

waucedah_joe

When I started last May I kept good records but after a while I realized that I was better off in ignorent bliss:smoking: Gotta be near $3k by now.

Pro_builder

I have over 7K in mine at this time, but all the DIY projects that I have going on aren't included until they are finished.:bmcflme:

tbittner

This is really interesting! Can this thread be revived for an update?

It does my heart good to know that I'm not the ONLY one going crazy! And I'm looking at a chiller with a UV module (just in case) and a controller so there goes another $1,700 or so.

:LOL:
:explode:

DaveK

Yes, reef keeping is an expensive hobby, and that's if you do everything right. If you don't then it's even more expensive.

Like the others said, I have also spent thousands on my reef systems over the years. However, it done because it's something you want to do, and get a lot of pleasure out of. Even people that have never even considered an aquarium before are impressed with reef systems. My younger nephew, when brought by his parents for a visit, was more interested in seeing the reef then he was visiting relatives.

For years, I have a large reef system, and a very small television. I was often asked why, and I could simply state that the shows were better on the reef.

caitrina

Why, why why? Why do we even want to think about it? The LFS store I frequent loves me. When I go in and try to keep it under $100.00 they don't say good bye they say we'll see you tomorrow or in a few days. 9 times out of 10 they are right on target. sigh Lynn said yesterday "you made at least 3 trips to the LFS this week"...lol...yep that is an average, well today will be the 4th!

lcstorc

But today is Hidden Reef day so at least it is a different LFS. LOL
I think I realized I really had a problem when the Hidden Reef opened and within about 3 weeks they were calling me their best or favorite customer.
Oh and Cat did I tell you abiut the gorgeous elegance they got in? If I hadn't bought the other one it would have jumped in the car yesterday. As of my last visit yesterday it was still there just waiting for you. :)

caitrina

But today is Hidden Reef day so at least it is a different LFS. LOL
I think I realized I really had a problem when the Hidden Reef opened and within about 3 weeks they were calling me their best or favorite customer.
Oh and Cat did I tell you abiut the gorgeous elegance they got in? If I hadn't bought the other one it would have jumped in the car yesterday. As of my last visit yesterday it was still there just waiting for you. :)

Yeah different store, same habit....that Elegance is going to stay right there too, (particularly since you want to get paid for your tank...lol) ...just like the one I saw the other day that almost jumped in my car.

oldsaint

Well I've got a 260, 180 and at one time also a 55 and a 29. So, I guess that qualifies me for the WAY of 3000++++ club.

lcstorc

The max definitely needs to be raised. I hgave likely spent that on my 20g. (Ok,m, probably not but that tank cost a lot more than I expected.)

lcstorc

Well even if I was willing to contemplate the number it would be bigger than any on the poll. :)
Let's see about $2500 this weekend. Of course that did include a new tank, sump, rock, and water but no substrate or livestock other than the hitchikers that came in on the rock.

jrf1175

I don't like this game...it's an evil reminder that I have spent TOO MUCH (-; I know with my 90 I have spent double that, so I don't think I want to know what those with really big tanks have spent...kinda scares me!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Unfortunately I have now spent more than the TOP amount and only have a 10g and a 12g to show for it. But I have my 90g on it's way so I should be able to really BLOW some DOUGH!! :LOL:

Allen