How long till i can add newly mixed salt water?

Nowellsy SNR

I need to slightly raise my Salanity i've just mixed some salt water how long shall i leave it till i add to my tank?

Thanks

ReefLady

Staff member
Most people let it mix with a powerhead and heater for at least 4-6 hours, sometimes a bit more. Make sure pH levels and temp (and salinity) match the tank water before adding.

ReefLady

Staff member
yw. Also, not sure what you have in the tank currently, but a lot of livestock (especially inverts) can be very sensitive to fluctuations in salinity and pH. Make sure to bring up the levels very slowly (over the course of a week or two, depending on how much you need to raise it).

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I need to slightly raise my Salanity i've just mixed some salt water how long shall i leave it till i add to my tank?

Thanks

I just noticed you're wanting to RAISE your salinity. What is it at now?

Any salinity changes need to be made very slowly over the course of a few days (depending on how MUCH you need to change it of course).

Be sure to go slow.

*** I see Teri has you VERY well covered so this is now a DITTO lol ***

Last edited:

Nowellsy SNR

I've been maintaining Salanity at 1.025 and it has dropped to 1.023 its probly ok? Maybe im just flapping a bit im still pretty new to the hobby i've not decided to add my mix to the tank as im going to be doing my weekly water change tomorrow

ReefLady

Staff member
1.023 is not bad, but 1.025 is where you want to be. You're doing the right thing - raising slowly by adding SW to replace evaporated water.

ReefLady

Staff member
That doesn't seem right, unless you added topoff (fresh water). Are you testing with a hydrometer or refractometer?

Nowellsy SNR

Is it worth me putting my cooling fan back on and evaporating more water then top up with salt water to bring it back to 1.025?

ReefLady

Staff member
If you are buying pre-mixed SW, the salinity is typically pretty low. I'd always test it before adding to your tank. At this point, I would just continue to add SW (1.025) as topoff, but there's no rush...1.023 is not going to harm anything. A quick change is more likely to have adverse effects.

Edit - sorry for all the typos!

ReefLady

Staff member
What's the best way to adjust pH of your new SW to match the tank's water?
Keep a powerhead in the newly mixed SW to agitate the water. Should bring the pH up.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
This may be a bit off topic, but maybe not:

Curing Aquarium Saltwater

Some observations on using the pre-packaged "natural" saltwater that's being more commonly offered now at some lfs. Very high in phosphate and causing outbreaks of red slime.