how long for cycle

echopiece

I had really good LR (35lbs) and used Arag alive sea floor substrate - 30lbs. I was cycled in just about 2 weeks.

Sapphire

Mine took a good 7 - 8 weeks as I started with uncured rock, new substrate and just a small piece of live rock and a cupful of live sand (we can't buy live rock commercially in NZ!)

Zack33

75G took 2 days....it was a transfer lol (the 55 it was transfered from took 3 weeks)

20G took 4 months, or at least that is when i finally added inverts into the tank;)

Zack

nashdk

I used 20 kg of LR from another tank and Red Sea reef base. The water values were stable after just 2½ weeks. After nearly 5 weeks I am still seeing a bit of algae growth but it has decreased quite a lot.
My 2 clowns, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and a handful of snails are doing fine.

humbertomm

and what measure are you guys considering to say that the cycle is over? (Just to check if everyone is using the same concept)

ReefLady

Staff member
Indication of completed cycle would be...

Ammonia spiked and now 0.0
Nitrite spiked and now 0.0
Nitrate less than 30 (much lower is optimal).

Edit - I would make sure ammonia & nitrite stay at 0.0 for at least a couple weeks before adding any livestock.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Indication of completed cycle would be...

Ammonia spiked and now 0.0
Nitrite spiked and now 0.0
Nitrate less than 30 (much lower is optimal).

Edit - I would make sure ammonia & nitrite stay at 0.0 for at least a couple weeks before adding any livestock.

Very good advice Teri. The key part is "stay at zero for a couple of weeks" because if you test EVERY day you may (probably will) see the NH4 and NO2 rise and fall for a few days until the bacteria are healthy and sufficient). It really depends on how accurate your tests are and how often you test.

On a side note I tend to introduce a second "helping" of shrimp just to make sure I have a "SOLID" colony of bacteria. If it's sufficient you'll see a very short spike of NH4 then NO2 and then more NO3. This is just my way of making sure I'm not jumping the gun.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
RSM - fully cured LR, fish in within the first few days, and no measurable cycle, other than some nitrates. I've also set up and then redid a little 9G Nanowave tank twice - once with cured rock from the RSM and the last time with dead rock - no measurable cycle in either case. And I use multiple test kits to be sure. In all 3 cases I added the marine version of Bio-Spira (bacteria innoculant) at the start, and had a fish or two in the tank within a day or two, and never measured any ammonia or nitrite. I know most don't believe in the bacteria innoculants, and I had no luck with any of them either, till I tried Bio-Spira in some previous fresh water tanks and it worked as it was supposed to. So, I've used it in my SW setups and it worked for me. Some have used it and said it greatly shortened the cycles. I can't say it will work for everyone, but it has for me. Just my own experience. No - I don't work for the supplier of Bio-Spira LOL! :)

azredsea

Fully cured LR and used Stability everyday for 2 weeks. Tested mostly daily, peak Ammonia was about .5, peak Nitrite was about .5 as well. Both to 0 at one week and peak Nitrate was 20, down to 10 now after 2 weeks, CUC in yesterday.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do you do any water changes while waiting for the cycle to complete, thx

No during the cycle you let the tank "Stew". No water changes or removing filters etc. All you want to do is test and keep top-off up to date.

:)