How long do you leave your lighting on?

Do you more or less follow the normal daylight hours with your lighting?

• Yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

lbiminiblue

I just wanted to know what other people here do with their lighting- some leave them off until they get back from work then turn them on till late, others follow the rate of the sun more or less. What do you do? leave your lighting hours in the comments.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I run mine 8.5 hrs. from 1130 to 8pm. The room my tank is in gets plenty of light so they get a sort of sunrise effect naturally.

lbiminiblue

ok cool. Today i turned on the room lights which are sorta dim, and saw the dragon wrasse wriggle out of his nightly hole and he just peeped around -he wasn't even completely out of the sand-and he went back to bed.

Brandon78

I usually run mine 3:30pm when I get off work, untill 10:30 or 11pm.
ok cool. Today i turned on the room lights which are sorta dim, and saw the dragon wrasse wriggle out of his nightly hole and he just peeped around -he wasn't even completely out of the sand-and he went back to bed.
I like to start my workday off right, I always flip on the living room light and look at my fish sleepin and check to make sure its all good, my tang and clown usually wake up to tell my bye lol.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
My tank sits between 2 windows, so all day sunlight. My lights kick on from 2pm to 8pm (after sunset), then just ambient room lights (living room, always busy) till about 10-11 pm...

...."Fish" Happens!....

bmplank86

Has been struck by the ban stick
11am to 11pm. It's so funny, the minute the lights go out all the fish swim to their hiding spots and stay there all night.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My lights are all "Controlled" so I'll just post the program so you can see:

Blue

10:00am - 0%
11:00am - 15%
12:00pm - 80%
09:00pm - 80%
10:00pm - 15%
11:00pm - 0%

White

11:00am - 0%
01:01pm - 75%
08:00pm - 75%
09:00pm - 0%

In general there are "Some" lights on my tank from 10:01am until 10:59pm but a good portion is the sunrise and sunset transitions. Max brightness is from Noon until 9:00pm.

kain101

about 9 blue and 7 white, i get a fair bit of sunlight on the tank and could probably get away with less if i tried but, am happy with things thus far

lbiminiblue

My tank sits between 2 windows, so all day sunlight. My lights kick on from 2pm to 8pm (after sunset), then just ambient room lights (living room, always busy) till about 10-11 pm...

...."Fish" Happens!....
ok the closest window to mine is facing north...probly couldn't put em too close to it either or the fish would fry...but it's amazing what constants in lighting will do for the animals-chromis are always hidden away after the actinics linger before dark and the brain puts out the feeders right before dark. the torch and frog always close down 1 and a half before sundown. Awesome to watch..

lbiminiblue

My lights are all "Controlled" so I'll just post the program so you can see:

Blue

10:00am - 0%
11:00am - 15%
12:00pm - 80%
09:00pm - 80%
10:00pm - 15%
11:00pm - 0%

White

11:00am - 0%
01:01pm - 75%
08:00pm - 75%
09:00pm - 0%

In general there are "Some" lights on my tank from 10:01am until 10:59pm but a good portion is the sunrise and sunset transitions. Max brightness is from Noon until 9:00pm.
what lighting do you have LED or T5?

kenny2009

I run my Rsm upstairs for 11 hours from 12-11 so it is light up while we are up & my 210 attinics for 12 hours and the mh for 8 hours. Works out well. But the 210 is down stairs not a whole lot of sun light comes in but some.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

My timer is set to turn the lights on at 7 in the morning and they go at at 7 at night. My sump/refugium lights come on at 6:30 at night and go out at 7:30 in the morning

kenny2009

Thought for the refugium the light needs to stay on 24-7 or the alge turns a-sexual? Mite be wrong but sure that's what I was told.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

ChrisOaty

I don't turn my tank lights on until 10AM, giving them a bit of a sunrise effect. I like enjoying my tank at night after I get home for a few hours though, so my lights go off at 9.