How hot is too hot?

Decided I would start a small thread in regards to water temperature.

I haven't got a chiller, (as of yet), but I am thinking about getting one for the upcoming UK summer months .. however, in the meantime, I have been reading up on temperature and wanted to get some opinions about 'how hot is too hot' before it becomes unhealthy for the fish?

Some aquarists feel that maintaining your tank between 75-77° F is best, some say 75-80° F, while others feel that 80-85° F, or even higher? is suitable. Here is a link saying that in the wild temperatures go up to 92° F:
Saltwater Tank Temperatures - Part 2 - What is the Optimal Temperature to Maintain?

I have been running my RSM 130D between 77-81° F, (25-27° C), but fear that will go up when summer hits ...

Thoughts?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Check this post out...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ub/56097-rsm-reef-aquaria-recommendation.html

extraction & links... Randy Holmes Farley and RONALD SHIMEK Ph.D.

Nevertheless, Ron Shimek has shown in a previous article that the greatest variety of corals are found in water whose average temperature is about 83-86° F.

All things considered, I recommend temperatures in the range of 76-83° F unless there is a very clear reason to keep it outside that range.

The most diverse coral reefs are found in a band running from Palau in the Western Caroline Islands through Indonesia (Veron 1986). In this area the atoll water temperature averages around 84 degrees Fahrenheit (28 degrees Celsius)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
With all due respect there are some current "studies" going on that suggest some basic flaws to the linked information (one being it's dated information).

One thing to note of particular interest (at least to me) from the charts by (with all due respect... I HIGHLY respect him) Randy Holmes-Farley is
Typical Surface Ocean Value

Even a few feet depth can make a significant difference in water temp unless you're talking "tide pool" or "shallow lagoon" scenarios. Very few of our coral come from water in the 4' or less depth (that's opening up a whole can of worms here). Even though our tanks are 4' or less (at least the majority) the coral and other live-stock aren't from waters of that depth so we need to look slightly deeper and gather water temp information accordingly.

I've started running my tank (as suggested from a highly recognized international SW source) at 75 degrees and as noted here
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/56976-how-hot-too-hot.html

My tank has never looked better.... acted better... or had more pronounced coral growth and expansion. I just started taking my "growth shots" this week (wish I had weekly pics before now) but here are the "Beginning" pics for my Growth Tracking Experiment.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/21891-bigals-slow-chronicle-227.html#post781021

Hope that doesn't "muddy the water" any more . . .Of course what works for one tank may or may NOT work for others .. YMMV

:)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Allen do you think Randy currently believes this articles he wrote ? Guess I need to ask him. Seems he would have accounted for the difference between surface temps & depth, pretty simple concept that anyone that has done any diving would understand, they have to learn about thermocline to get the c-card :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Allen do you think Randy currently believes this articles he wrote ? Guess I need to ask him.

LOL! I'd be interested to hear what his current thoughts are on the subject for sure. :)

I'm in no position to be even remotely "qualified" to say one way or the other but my tank is proof that nothing but a temp drop is dramatically improving everything. This comes from others who have been in the ocean more than I've been on the planet but at least for my own personal tank 75 seems to be a very good move.

Seems he would have accounted for the difference between surface temps & depth, pretty simple concept that anyone that has done any diving would understand, they have to learn about thermocline to get the c-card :)

LOL! Once again all very true but I'm just stating that it was noted as "surface" temp. I mean granted we can't replicate every temp from every depth from every part of the words temperate zone but just in my limited experience "getting wet" it only take a few feet to register a noticeable temperature drop. I'm talking about on your skin as I've never dove with a thermometer. :dunno:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the feedback Allen as always... I like learning !

sidenote -every dive calculator now has one (I've never dove with a thermometer)
045.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! I've never used a dive calculator
Allen's not SCUBA certified...

My dives only go deep enough to make my lungs scream bloody murder....

joewell

I use to run my tank at 77.5 and after a little research on the net (not just hobby related but actual ocean studies) showed that temps. between 79-81 coral growth is at optimal for most types. So I now run my temp at 80 and I have to say...HUGE difference! I also do a 5 gal change a week and only add the ESV calcium buffer. I have a RSM 130.

hmmmm interesting points from everyone, thank you.

For now the tank is running between 78 and 81° F, (25-27° C), and as everything is running clockwork I will hold off getting a chiller for now. If the temperature tops 83° F, (28° C) it will be time for a rethink..