Harold’s RSM Adventure

1357HA

Hi to all. Been enjoying all of the great info of the forum.
So, I think that it’s a great idea having your own post.

For the past years I wanted a salt water aquarium and finally last Christmas decided to go for a oceanic biocube 14. I had a huge satisfaction with this hobby that I decided, at the beginning of May, to go for a RSM 130D. Now I have the biocube as a quarantine tank, great product by the way. Now I’m having some trouble with a mandarin that I rescued from a friend that was giving up on it. He is eating artemia, but my tank is so young that I don’t know if there are some copepods left after a month of having it in the tank. I have tried to feed cyclopezee, zooplex, pellets, flake food, caviar, raw shrimp and instant ocean Brine Shrimp, but no success yet. I tried also soaking all the foods in selcon. For the past 2 weeks I have been putting the food inside a glass bottle, he goes in the bottle but he takes a few bites a go out. He really skinny….any ideas….

Well, I got carried away with the mandarin project…
So, in the RSM 130d I have 2 clown fish, 1 blue damsel, 1 rock blenny, the green mandarin dragonet, 1 cleaner shrimp, like 10 hermit crabs (between blue an red legs), 5 turbo snails, 3 peppermint shrimps (because of some aptasia problem), 1 feather duster and 1 emerald crab. As for corals, by the way I really enjoy them, I have a open brain coral (It’s huge when the light on), 1 trumpet, 1 frogspawn, 1 ricordea, various purple mushrooms, 1 big soft leather toadstool and a colony of metallic green star polyps. In the aquarium arrangement I have like 45 pounds of live rock, 2 inches of sand with some crushed coral mixed, decided to place some piles of crushed corals (like 10 pounds) behind the rocks for the copepods to grow and all the stock equipment, no mods yet, but thinking of getting a via aqua reactor to place some phosphate sponge because I have green hairy algae. Also, I have placed Chemi Pure Elite were the carbon and ceramic media was (I followed some advices from this forum).

I will try to take some good shots of my tank and post them….

1357HA

Thanks Tammy for the quick response
Just for all to know, I’m new to all this forum staff.
Never joined a forum before.
But now I’m impressed of all the things that you can learn on them and the people you meet.
The first thing that I read on this forum was a thread of readsea reefer Eddie, I’m inspired to be able to keep a mandarin fish in such a good shape.

redsea reefer

Welcome to the club! Try feeding the Mandarin Bloodworms(the red ones)with all pumps off, squirt them close to him with a feeding pipette or turkey baster.

clka

:welcomera

Glad to have you join us! I too, started with a Biocube, but the 8 gallon one, and upgraded to the 130D ~ just moved my skunk clown and a couple of corals about 10 days ago. I also will be using the BC for quarantine. I just love the new tank and the support of the folks on this forum :eek:lsmile:

Looking forward to pictures!

Cheryl

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good to see you start a tank thread in the RSM Club (we have been chatting in Meet & Greet) - post us some pics !

1357HA

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome...
It feels nice to have lots of people supporting you in this hobby.
I will really like to try the blood worms, maybe Juan can tell me were I can find them in Guatemala...

jpsika08

Maybe you can try,

El Arrecife en Majadas, I think that's the only place I know that dedicates to saltwater tanks. Maybe in Acuario Marino at zone 10 has them. This is basically the trouble here, too few options :(

Monkeyboy

Welcome to reef sanctuary, I hope you manage to find some bloodworms for the mandarin. Please post some pics, we love pictures!!

Welcome, looking forward to some photos, I’m new to Salt Water; I love my RSM and am really enjoying it to.

Not only is this the best forum I’ve ever joined thanks to the people that are part of it there’s a tremendous amount of useful information to.

:thumbup:

1357HA

Thanks everyone
I will try to post some pictures during the weekend after a good tank cleaning….
Sorry that yesterday I wasn’t able to reply, but it was raining a lot and the electricity failed.

1357HA

Yesterday I posted a problem with my heater (been running just for 2 months), now Pinky is sending me a new one :jumprope: . I think I will use it for my water changes (as Glenn) and get a good one for the RSM, any suggestions?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
A lot of the overseas owners use a Rena Smart Heater - I haven't heard any RSM owner have one of those fail. I've always liked the Marineland heaters - they had a problem a while back, but it should be resolved now. I'm not sure what Juan is using?

1357HA

I'm trying to share a photo of a frog I found last night at my garden, so when I get the pictures of my tank I will post them.

P1010566.jpg

Tel me if it works...

clka

I've used the Stealth with excellent results in my Biocube and for water changes and now have a Rena Smartheater in the 130D that seems very accurate (though I honestly don't know how much it has actually gone on), there is a rebate on those here (don't know about overseas):

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA SmartHeater

I am intrigued by the new Fluval e series digital heaters, but they are pretty expensive and I probably don't need that degree (pun intended) of accuracy.

Cute frog!

Cheryl