GregT's RSM250

GregT

Re: Hi from New Zealand

OK,
I'm in New Zealand so 3 hours by plane.
Surprised though as Australia have so many great corals and fish on their doorstep.

On our local thread a few have been moaning about the prices so I shared the skunk shrimp comparision in price.

Its a hobby where you enter knowing the cost and just have to accept it.
I guess it stops lots of idiots starting up and letting fish die within a week then leaving.

GregT

Re: Hi from New Zealand - GregT's 250 RSM

Ok time for an update,
water parameters great, pH now at 8.2 and the temperatures cooled down so able to turn off the extra fans and slow the evaporation down (and noise).
The stock heater keeps the tank at 26d.
Also having no problems with the stock skimmer after Red Sea replaced the stock impeller. Adjusting is fiddly but

Added another yellow tailed damsel and seens to have paired up with my other one.

Also added a Blood Shrimp and pleased to say it keeps out in the open a fair bit, although not as much as the Skunk Shrimp that is out 90% of the time in full view

Had a Powder Blue Tang on order but it died the second to last day of quarantine (was due tomorrow!) - while in the LFS so still have a store credit.
Have reordered for a months time :yup: so its still my fingers keeping the hair algae at bay.

Will post some more pics in the next day or so.
Cheers
Greg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Thanks for the update Greg! From what I've read the blood shrimps seem to hide a lot more than the skunks. Good news on the stock skimmer performing well.

redsea reefer

Thanks for the update Greg! From what I've read the blood shrimps seem to hide a lot more than the skunks. Good news on the stock skimmer performing well.

+1....The Blood or Fire Shrimps do hide more than the Skunks, mine is out most of the time during light and is most active after lights out...

GregT

thanks Tom, Terry and Eddie,

My Fireshrimp cost $100 (exchange rate NZ$100 = US$70).

Been trying to contact Sapphire who's about 40mins by plane to see if I can get some frags.
I think thats about the only other NZer I've seen on Reef Sanctuary.
Post some pics soon
cheers
:time:

fruit bat

WOW ! You guys down under seem to have it tough when trying to stock your tanks. Seem like a good business opportunity exists.

GregT

Thanks for the sentiments Chris and Sarah, Eddie, Leigh and Jim.
You'd flip if you knew the cost to stock my tank. Luckily my wife has been tolerant of the costs after seeing the transformation happening.
Someone paid NZ$750 for an Achilles Tang the other day from the LFS!!!
The Powder Blue Tang I still have on order will cost NZ$120.

I haven't tested calcium yet and wondering about dosing ie when will the corals start needed supplementation?
2 part dosing? Dont understand this. I do have a kilo of Calk?
Is there an easy Dosing 101 chart somewhere?
cheers
Greg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Greg - 2 part dosing usually involves an A part for Ca and a B part for Alk, and there are several brands of these being sold (most often liquid additives). This dosing calculator may be of some help. The "limewater" choice under Ca is really a Kalk solution:

Reef Chemistry Calculator

redsea reefer

I stick with 2-parts, just easier for me. 2 cap fulls of A & B, simple as that. I currently use Kent Tech CB.

GregT

Thanks guys,
Great help. Was driving past a LFS and noticed they had a Blue Tang that'd been there 4 weeks so brought it!
Already starting to graze on the Green hair Algae.

Found a home between some rock,
IMG_4514-1.jpg

Starting to really notice the coral growth now
IMG_4516.jpg

Didc some more aquascaping, still not happy but...
IMG_4515.jpg

The whole crew, shrimps feelers only in view.
IMG_4519.jpg

Re the tank layout, I've got lots of spare coral rock cooking so will add more later to build up the back.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Nice add on the tang - they can be voracious algae eaters so he should really help.

reeferman

very nice Tang!be sure to keep him fed well,Hippos are notorious for ich.not trying to scare you!just keep his stress level low.tank looking good!

Reggie