GregT's RSM250

Wolffman64

Update.
Made more changes to my system now I've got a sump.
Added a Jebao DP4 dosing pump and an AutoAqua Smart ATO.
Got my water parameters in line with the Red Sea Reef Colours programme and will start this over the next week.
Also added a mandarin fish, although it's now residing in my sump after getting stuck in a hole in my rock work and I had to cut the rock away to free it, and keeping company with one of my clownfish after the other decided it wanted a divorce after a couple of years and kept attacking it!

Welcome back buddy!

Seems like the divorces in the fish world are just as nasty as for humans....

GregT

Thanks Neighbour! Must logon and comment more! Tried reintroducing the clown but had to pull it out after 20 mins. No more counselling sessions planned! Spending time now tidying the cabinet and wiring/plumbing.

GregT

What are you changing?

My cabinet looks like a bomb went off inside it, so I need to run wires,/hoses and cable tie nicely - so I'm not embarrassed when someone wants to look inside!

Was going to restart with the Zeo regime but decide to use these in my 30ltr instead and start the Red Sea programme. Already sorted the Reef Foundation out so looking good.

Cheers
Greg

Wolffman64

I know what you mean, I need to rewire my whole reef angel set up, and move it out of the cabinet t the back of the side cabinet, for better access. It will have to wait a couple of weeks until after the big birthday party...

GregT

I know what you mean, I need to rewire my whole reef angel set up, and move it out of the cabinet t the back of the side cabinet, for better access. It will have to wait a couple of weeks until after the big birthday party...

Birthday party? I had a good sales commission and my birthday next week so spending abit at the moment:yup:
Have traded a few fish in the last year trying to find a happy medium. Also have a very nice small Kole Tang that has settled into the tank nicely and doing a really good job of cleaning algae off the glass.

I'm going to replace both my clowns as individuals seeings they aren't getting on anymore and introduce another pair. I did think about introducing 4 small ones at the same time from the same batch? Not sure how this would go?

Really like the RSM500 so might be next years purchase?

Wolffman64

Yup, I'm turning 50 on the 14th and my wife is turning 40 on the 20th, so we're having a 90's party!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregT

Finally got another iPhone so pic of my tanks recovery. Colouring up nicely.
Need to reposition the right island closer to the rear wall.

Re dosing,
I've always just dosed manually but have a Jebao 4 dosing pump I want to start using for Alk and Ca.
I'm dosing baked baking soda for alk and CaCL2 for calcium plus Epsom salts if Mg gets out of kilter.

My tank water volume estimated at 280 litres nett.
Ideal parameters
Mg 1325
Ca 435
Alk 8.2 - struggle to maintain so guessing I've lot a good bacterial loading?

Actuals are
Mg 1325 (seems to stay pretty consistent so I'll keep manually dosing)
Ca 435 (daily usage is 10ppm per day)
Alk 6.1 (daily usage is 0.65dkh per day)

So according to my current usage I'm using 54.25gm of Ca and 38.22gm of Alk per week.
I'll mix these with water into the containers and calibrate the pumps to use this over the week.

My 3 bay dosing containers are 1500ml each.
I'll test the pump for a few days to calibrate it and then start after the weekend.

4cc9eecc547e65b8afda7acc47a05762.jpg

GregT

Thanks, i was frustrated with trying to take pics so stopped.
Haven't really aquascaped the two Islands properly. Green SPS going berserk. Thinking of getting one of those kitchen 'flame throwers' to burn the hairy mushrooms and Xenia off the rock - they're outta control.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I reckon it looks awesome as is! I love the two islands and that bright green stag is massive!! I love it!

GregT

The bright Green Stag is as bright as it looks. Concentrating on colour but the SPS are growing heaps. How was the double bday party?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'd say you're doing a pretty good job with the colours there!! :) Double party was Jan, not me :p

GregT

Realised today that I'd just topped up my Ca dosing container with 100 days worth of CaCL2 in 10 days worth of RODi water instead of 10 days worth of CaCL2. Quick siphon and replaced before my dosing pump started using it.

Lesson was to write down my goal parameters and daily usage and stick it inside my cabinet door!

GregT

Not sure if I should add this as a separate thread?

In anticipation of a holiday, I'm going to try temporarily attaching this autofeeder from eheim instead of relying on someone to feed the tank and hoping they do not overfeed!

To attach the feeder to my tank I need to cut two small slots partway through the inside of plastic rim surrounding the tank glass that the 'foot' will engage and then slot down into.
I'm wondering if this will affect the integrity of the tank though???

Below - the plastic rim with the glass support that the bottom of the autofeeder will rest on.

How the autofeeder will sit - theres about a 2mm slot required so it sits securely

Thoughts anyone?
Plan B will be to support the feeder on a platform.

GregT

Greg ... looks nice, but are you worried about a jumper? I think I would be... unless you can somehow sort that too :)

Thanks Glenn,
Yes, jumpers would be a concern.
I started another thread on autofeeders and NJ Reefer replied with pics of his acrylic tray.
Decided this is best approach and I picked up an acrylic offcut - dimensions 90cm by 10cm, (from their waste bin) today from a manufacturer. This should fit pretty good so will cut a slot in this for the food and then I'm sorted.

Don't think there's much I need to add now for piece of mind when I'm away, got a 25ltr RODI container for top-up that's driven by a SMART ATO and lasts two weeks.
Correct amount of Ca and ALK solution in my dosing containers, the Dosing pump is maintaining my parameters of;
Alk 8.2
Ca 435
Mg 1325

SPS and softies are growing like crazy; I'll need to prune back my Green Staghorn this weekend though.

LEDs have solved my overheating problem but I'll make sure there's airflow throughout the house this time.

Latest FTS, I'll need to move/sell some SPS.

Cheers
Greg