?????Green Coraline Algae?????

wingwong

:cry1:
Hello Everybody, I am new and need help! I'm having issues with Green Coraline Algae! It's all over the place! I would love to get the pinks and purples and blue. Green just has a negative impact on the overall appearance. My Setup is a 20Gallon Reef Tank, 6 hermit crabs, 5 Astrea snails, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, Live sand as the base and Mixture of Live Rock. 1 Open Brain Coral (RED) My filter system is Aqua-Clear, and my lighting system is a 18"-24" Marineland Reef Capable LED. All testing is within proper parameters. I do have a live rock with Pink Coraline algae on it, but it won't spread, even when I scratch it off. It has gotten a thin white ring around the coraline algae. How can I promote the Colorful coraline algae. I'm thinking it's my light but not sure.
PLEASE HELP me!:cry1:

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello wingwong :wave: and welcome to RS!

First off - Coralline Algae is a very common algae and it's usually purple or something similar to that. Variations of it do appear in some tanks but most of the time the variation is "light dependent" in that it requires a very specific type and amount of light. I once had a rock with a really pretty orange coralline on it but it was a very LOW light type and when I turned the rock to be able to see it better the orange died back and was taken over by the purple. What I'm trying to say is that it might be a futile effort trying to get one particular type to populate your system. Whatever your tank conditions favor is exactly what will grow in your tank.

Next are your 100% sure your green algae is coralline? It could be a young variation of another more prolific algae.

Lastly .. . be careful what you hope/wish for. Almost all of us "hope/desire" for that purple covering in our tanks but then again almost all of us regret wishing for that once it takes hold. It will cover your rock, your glass, your heater, powerhead, intake grates, walls of your bedroom, the dash of your care :LOL: not that bad but close to it.

About all you can do is keep your water parameters in check, maintain good tank husbandry practices (weekly water changes, NO dosing etc) and hope for the best.

Again welcome to RS :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 Allen advise above - can you post us some pics?

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

wingwong

I will post some pics as soon as I get a camera! LOL, of all things I got the camera wet and now it won't work, go figure!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Is it indeed Coraline algae?

The pic I posted is green coralline algae

The colors of coralline algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, but some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white, gray or green.

Tokalosh

The pic I posted is green coralline algae

The colors of coralline algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, but some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white, gray or green.

Well F me, just goes to show you learn something new everyday!

Now how do you make it BLUE?

Tok

wingwong

:crowd:OKAY, for those of you who have been following the thread, THANK YOU :)
After lots of research, I am convinced that Coraline algae "color" is in direct proportion to the type of lighting you use. I may be wrong but I have started a theoretical test to find out! Originally I was using a Marineland Reef Capable LED setup 18"-24", I'm now on a ZOOMed 24" T5 HO fluorescent setup with 2 actinic bulbs and no white light bulbs). ( I still use the Marineland for white light) WOW, what a difference in the color of my Rock already. I am noticing pink Coraline Algae starting to form on the glass and it has only been 24 hours. I can't wait to see what it looks like when I get home tonight from work! Time will be the teller, but if I'm correct, to go from green to pink it's all about light! To go from pink to blue ( I'm guessing it's all about the light) What do all of you think? Am I crazy to go from L.E.D to Fluorescent as most people are doing the reverse of me?:yup: