Green Bubble Algae

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have Hanna Checker for a couple of tests....wish the powder came out of the little packet easier. Woyld be easier if it were liquid drops instead of power that goes places other than in the vial.
I just don't like testing. :pityparty::outtahere::nyanya:

Pat24601

Getting way off topic, but there is a trick to the HC pouches. I need to run my tests tomorrow so I'll take a picture of how I do it. It's still not as easy as drops, but there are easier ways than just tearing the top off.

Also, I love what you do with smilies. I'm never sure what you are going to use. :)

Pat24601

Diana,

Way off topic and you may already be doing this, but the trick with Hanna Checker pouches is to rip two sides and fold down the edge. It makes pouring the powder much easier, which is practical critical for the phosphate test which turns the timer off on you in 3 minutes when you need to add powder and then shake for two minutes.

1zyihhy.jpg

245ebo0.jpg

Pat24601

Oh, and forgot to mention, the son of the owner of my LFS says he never tests his water. He says he gets so sick of testing in the store he just doesn't bother for his personal tank. Needless to say, his personal tank looks amazing....as does yours. :)

I'm a noob who can't really guess what's going on in his tank very well. So, I need to test.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Spent most of the day doing tank chores & a WC.
Removed all the GBA bubbles that I can see.
It always makes me happy to think
That I'm staying ahead of GBA :celebrate:
(Even tho I'm probably not :cool:)
I might get out the test kits & I might not :rolleyes:
:roflmao::nyanya::roflmao:

cracker

I also just did a heavy cleaning I got a Bunch of bubble out this time. I keep my lights current.I scrape and siphon all the time, run socks on all the outputs, run bio pellets,and recently installed an algae scrubber. Just trying to remove as much access nutrient as possible I have pretty much got rid (in the display ) of all types of algae except the bubble. Hopefully we got ahead of it and .we're not giving up. I just don't want to starve everybody else trying to get rid of the stuff.

Oxylebius

I have hannas as well and even though they make testing so much easier and faster, I also don't like testing. And I know my tank is off right now Ca/Alk and has been. The corals haven't been very happy lately with me and my maintenance. Some have been pouting off and on for a couple of months now.

Pat24601

So, if I haven't seen any green bubble algae for a couple of weeks, does that mean it's just growing on the back of my live rock somewhere?

:txchainsaw:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
So, if I haven't seen any green bubble algae for a couple of weeks, does that mean it's just growing on the back of my live rock somewhere?

:txchainsaw:
Probably it's just giving you a break :roflmao:
It's nice to get a break but I bet it will spring up somewhere :confused:
Don't stop hunting for it :rolleyes:

Pat24601

N commitments! You beat it! It has been erased!

Awesome! The power of positive thinking! :celebrate:

Basically, I've been trying a strategy of manual removal and starving it out.

By starving it out, I ordered the bio pellet reactor from BRS, but I hadn't installed it yet. My travel schedule has been a bite. So, I've been running a lot of GFO and reducing my feeding.

I also added a female emerald crab, but I haven't seen any evidence that helped whatsoever. I never saw it eat any GBA. I'm not anti-crab, though, so I don't mind having it in my tank anyway. If it starts eating my coral, I'll take it out.

I'm clearly not saying any of that worked, but let's hope so. :)

Pat24601

Now I'm depressed. I was feeling so good about things. I don't know how I missed this, but my wavemaker is covered in GBA. None I see on the live rock.

I literally didn't have the emotional energy to deal with cleaning the wavemaker. I threw it out and bought another. I know that's wasteful.

image.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Actually that is a good sign brother.
Algae is attracted to plastics of that type, ( abs) because they leach phosphates. Because you do not see it anywhere else in the aquarium that is telling me the algae strain is desperate for a food source.
Personally I think you are winning the battle!

Pat24601

Actually that is a good sign brother.
Algae is attracted to plastics of that type, ( abs) because they leach phosphates. Because you do not see it anywhere else in the aquarium that is telling me the algae strain is desperate for a food source.
Personally I think you are winning the battle!

Wow. You are making me feel better. :)

cracker

I'm with Frankie, Get the bio pellets going and by watching the overfeeding and keeping up the manual stuff, You are doing the right thing. I think my last round of scrubbing has helped.Remember You can't get it all at once!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Now I'm depressed. I was feeling so good about things. I don't know how I missed this, but my wavemaker is covered in GBA. None I see on the live rock.

I literally didn't have the emotional energy to deal with cleaning the wavemaker. I threw it out and bought another. I know that's wasteful.

View attachment 42025

That stuff is SNEAKY!! It has tried to grow inside the back gate holes in my RSM 250 (which is plastic) so I like Frankie's suggestion.
That powerhead could be soaked in vinegar & cleaned up....I'd get it outta the trash & clean it for re-use. Once it's clean up outside of the tank it will not cause GBA. Heck, it's easier to clean a power head than LR! :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I tested my phosphate this last WC using the tear the packet this way suggested
by @Pat24601 above. It made it easier.
This is about as low as my phosphate level ever goes:
image.jpg
I didn't re-check after WC...no nitrates to measure tho. I feed flake food a lot.

Pat24601

That stuff is SNEAKY!! It has tried to grow inside the back gate holes in my RSM 250 (which is plastic) so I like Frankie's suggestion.
That powerhead could be soaked in vinegar & cleaned up....I'd get it outta the trash & clean it for re-use. Once it's clean up outside of the tank it will not cause GBA. Heck, it's easier to clean a power head than LR! :D

I know it's very cleanable. Not even all that hard by aquarium standards. As you said, way easier than live rock.

What happened is I was already bummed at finding a field of GBA after not seeing any for a couple of weeks. So, I pulled out the wavemaker to clean it and as I started I squirted GBA innards in my face. That stuff can really fly.

So, I said F this. It's not worth $55 (I have a cheap wavemaker) and bought a new one.

Maybe I'll change my mind later. Maybe not. :)