Good old miracle mud....

zchauvin

Well I got chewed out about not suggesting miracle mud to a customer today at work. Simply told him it was garbage and didn't have anything in it even remotely relative to the sea floor... My boss says she has 30 years experience and has miracle mud in several tanks and that it work, then says rock rubble in sump holds detritus... Yet she has rock rubble and bioballs in every sump. Let me hear all of your opinions, it really got me po at the fact that they back and sell trash.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Miracle mud has a love hate relationship..... Some people swear by it and most people avoid it. I assum there is a certain system it works well in but I think it can be avoided by most reefers. IMO, you did the right thing but your boss got mad ecause you could have sold snake mud to some schmuck for $80 :)

zchauvin

Miracle mud has a love hate relationship..... Some people swear by it and most people avoid it. I assum there is a certain system it works well in but I think it can be avoided by most reefers. IMO, you did the right thing but your boss got mad ecause you could have sold snake mud to some schmuck for $80 :)

Yeah, I deff was not going to tell the guy it would help his tank.. I think its bs myself but whatever

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'd rub hot pepper juice on my dogs gums than run a tank on mud. I try to remove nitrate.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Strange about the hot sauce but yes +1.. lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'd rub hot pepper juice on my dogs gums than run a tank on mud. I try to remove nitrate.

Matt you 2 dam funny love it. as for mud hell that's the stuff i try 2 keep out of my sump humm guess i should stop cleaning it out . and let it get thick then sale it what do you think LOL

Doogle

Most people don't know how to use it properly. The people who know what they are doing love it and have the most spectacular tanks to prove it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've used it and can assure you 100% I will never EVER even keep it in the same ROOM as a reef tank. It took months I mean MONTHS to counter-act the "positive" effects of MM on my reef tank. I think I had 2 sea-hare literally eat themselves to death (laying eggs and all because so much food available) trying to maintain my system.

zchauvin maybe just find a more tactful way of telling the person something like "It seems to work in some more advanced systems but many people don't have such stellar results with it...."

zchauvin

I've used it and can assure you 100% I will never EVER even keep it in the same ROOM as a reef tank. It took months I mean MONTHS to counter-act the "positive" effects of MM on my reef tank. I think I had 2 sea-hare literally eat themselves to death (laying eggs and all because so much food available) trying to maintain my system.

zchauvin maybe just find a more tactful way of telling the person something like "It seems to work in some more advanced systems but many people don't have such stellar results with it...."

Idk, she said they have a reputation because of their philosophy. They use bioballs, rock rubble, miracle mud and have some of the nastiest looking sumps I have ever seen along with 30ppm nitrate unless they cram a bag full of carbon into the sump... It's ridiculous

Doogle

Maybe I should have rephrased it, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying you don't know what your doing or anything like that.
If you want a deep mud filter and have a bunch of mangroves and macros then it might work well, depends on the system and aquarist.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Maybe I should have rephrased it, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying you don't know what your doing or anything like that.
If you want a deep mud filter and have a bunch of mangroves and macros then it might work well, depends on the system and aquarist.

Sorry Doogle.. I re-read how I worded my reply and that was not, in the least, pointed towards your comment. Sorry about that :)

StirCrayzy

Whats wrong with just extending a standard sand bed into the fuge/sump?
Ive not been convinced MM has any benefits, wont be using it, but dont want a BB fuge, so im just going to use 2"of of arag sand.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Josh it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish in/with your fuge. As stated by Doogle there are instances where "Mud" might be advantageous but it's not usually in our normal reef system.

I ran my last fuge with a 4" (DSB) and liked it a lot but my next one will be BB for sure because it's easier to clean. The DSB was good for "critters" and such but I've been there done that lol.

Tru2nr

i run sand in my fuge but my fuge is primarily for critter safe havens and some nutrient export...and have heard awful things similar to Allen's comments about miracle mud. I used to use Carribsea's refugium mud in my old 55g and i'm not going to say that it helped add to my algae problem...but i'm not going to risk it again just because of the algae problem i had on my 55g

StirCrayzy

My fuge plan is basically, solitary confinement for misfits, & extra LR storage space.
Im planning a window thru side of stand for viewing also so im slightly driven by aesthetics.
All of my nutrient export should be handled by ATS.

zchauvin

Well I want to get a little more into this if you more experienced guys, specifically experienced in using it don't mind. Supposingly its mud dredged from the ocean floor and the claims behind it are that it provides trace minerals for coral. Write ups say it has lots of calcium, aluminum, silicon and is pretty much 70% quartz. What exactly is this stuff supposed to do. I mean obviously the silicon we do not want in our tank so that throws me off. In reality has anyone actually used the stuff and gotten GOOD results using it? As far as I'm concerned coral are simply polyps who have a partnership with plants that convert sunlight into energy for the coral or something of that nature. The "coral" we always speak of is an animal (polyp) that uses sunlight/calcium to build a rigid outer shell to live in - sps is what I'm talking about here. Where does anything in miracle mud contribute to the development of an ecosystem muchless coral growth and stability/health. I may not be the smartest or most experienced but in my opinion I fail to see its benefit. Sure it has calcium, but so does salt. Salt in the water will contribute more to coral than some mud that the coral doesn't even need in order to grow. I may not be completely correct so correct me where I'm mistaken but I think I have the gist of it and enough to realize this stuff can't do much for a tank.

Last edited:

Willie McDaries

I don't remember ever seeing a beautiful reef tank that claimed to be using miracle mud in their sump...I've never fully understood it's purpose so I've stayed away from it...this could turn into an interesting topic,I would like to hear from successful users (if any) of its benefit and how they use it...I know PaulB removes mud and whatnot from the ocean and uses it in his tank,that mud I'm fairly certain is good...least it's worked for Paul for 40+ years :D

zchauvin

That doesn't say anything other than that it is good for mangroves to root? I guess I'll have to set up two tanks to get the answers I'm after. Opinions are one thing, facts and proof that it does help coral and/or tank health is another.