Good old miracle mud....

Willie McDaries

That doesn't say anything other than that it is good for mangroves to root? I guess I'll have to set up two tanks to get the answers I'm after. Opinions are one thing, facts and proof that it does help coral and/or tank health is another.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

that is all I ever got from what I've read about it,it is good for growing algae,I've never had any problems with growing algae without it LOL

zchauvin

that is all I ever got from what I've read about it,it is good for growing algae,I've never had any problems with growing algae without it LOL

Haha nice willie, at the store we do have a 180g show tank full of everything from frogspawn to acros and it uses miracle mud and is beautiful. Has also been running 6 years, perhaps all the silicon from mud is gone lol Idk. The only thing I can see is that it may work in a larger tank or environment but I'm not certain. Until I see real results I won't put it in my system just from the amounts of silicon in it.

StirCrayzy

If you are going to experiment, trust that it will take years to develop results under very strict regimented routine.
thats a lot of work, that most likely has already been done for you.
The key is finding the results that already exist, and compile the variables per system to prove MM worth/non.
And under what conditions it works or doesnt.
Im curious what you find, let us know.

zchauvin

If you are going to experiment, trust that it will take years to develop results under very strict regimented routine.
thats a lot of work, that most likely has already been done for you.
The key is finding the results that already exist, and compile the variables per system to prove MM worth/non.
And under what conditions it works or doesnt.
Im curious what you find, let us know.

Yes, I was determining what would need to be done in order to have control group and all those other good things and its a good bit.
I will continue to see what I can find

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
woohoo 2 identical systems! Now u have ur control from which to measure.

..........rarely am I speechless

zchauvin

Heres the 180 at the store thats run on miracle mud
IMAG0107_zpsb55fed48.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Pretty tank. Keep in mind that a nitrogen cycle on a very established tank is completely different than giving a young tank extra trates. But very pretty

zchauvin

Pretty tank. Keep in mind that a nitrogen cycle on a very established tank is completely different than giving a young tank extra trates. But very pretty

No worries, this one tank won't make up my mind haha I was just showing one example.. Trust me you don't want to see the other tanks that use the same... Blahh, they are pathetic

Paul B

...I know PaulB removes mud and whatnot from the ocean and uses it in his tank,that mud I'm fairly certain is good...least it's worked for Paul for 40+ years

I have been using mud from the sea for decades but I have no experience using Miracle Mud. I never used it.
I use mud for the bacteria, nothing else.

Basile

Well hello guys, i'm planing on using it in my system because i used it before in my biotope with seahorses and it did a good job. no issues. But it didn't do any harm at all. It may be an illusion to some but i got two canister for a $ 1.00 so i'll use it for the fuge since my interest is for like Paul the biological, the bacteria that the fuge is suppose to contain. after it is depleted it will be simply be part of the substrate for the macro-algae collection i'll be assembling thats all. I'm not going for the holly grale here, just the practical. If i didn't have it i wouldn't use it. But since the ocean is full of it, i don't think it can't be dismiss that easy. To claim its gona solve all your problems, is fallacy . A good jugement is required here nothing more.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
I think you'll find the mud is very alive :)

Mud is just silt + food particles + misc. An important thing to note, is that silt will become a DSB much shallower than sand. Not sure how shallow, but if the sole purpose were to denitrify without needing 4 inches, then maybe mud would suffice. Of course super fine oolitic sand is almost as fine too, and without the food particles.

Basile

I think you'll find the mud is very alive :)

Mud is just silt + food particles + misc. An important thing to note, is that silt will become a DSB much shallower than sand. Not sure how shallow, but if the sole purpose were to denitrify without needing 4 inches, then maybe mud would suffice. Of course super fine oolitic sand is almost as fine too, and without the food particles.

I'll be adding Two gallon of mud in my 75 G display fuge and cover it up with fine and medium sand to avoid storm , because i'll hace a collection of macro-algae for my seahorses on one side and one the ontherside sperated by a mesh Anglers. so 2 gallons won't even make an inch in that tank and i'll be having about 2" sand beb. Will it create conditions to have hydrogensulfite pockets anyway?

Basile

Is a good question... how deep mud must be to do that.

Once the mud as been exausted of its food particles, + misc and it becomes what ordinary dirt with bacteria. If so why so many people go nuts againts it? Or worst wants to remove it and destroy the layers of existing bacteria, thats my biggest complaint about its use. When its part of your system leave it alone as far as i'm concern.