good clean-up crew for sps tank?

Im not taking anything away from you bigjay and i respect your input, but through my own experience (and i know for a fact my hermits are TRUE blue legged hermits, not electric blue hermits also reffered to as electric blue knuckle hermits) that they do get to a fair size.

A size large enough to have to stop and think twice about what to put in with my sps corals. After all thats my only concern.

I've mentioned in a few threads before, i work at a BigAl's aquarium services shop but unfortunately we do not sell SPS corals. My manager wont order them in because he believes they are to hard to keep and in comparison to sales we make on marine and coral, its just not worth our money to invest in something we wont sell.

unfortunate for me because i like SPS corals, but because we dont stock them the employees i work with arent very knowlegable on keeping/mainting healthy coral and to mix what with what.

to me, knowledge is power, the more input i get the better :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got:

Dwarf Cerith Snails
Nassarius Snails
Fire Shrimp
Blue legged dwarf hermits (key word dwarf)
Nerites
Serpent star (and he is HIGHLY suspect at some "Hunting" activities)

last but not least I have

Peppermint Shrimp

I've got some blue leg dwarfs that are probably nearly 2+ years old (can't guarantee that but that's when I first added them) and they are roughly 3/4" - 1" max. Great Tank Citizens and just cool. They crawl all over the SPS cleaning them and just being busy bodies. However you do have to "replenish" snails because at times they get greedy but that's just part of it.

I concur that John from ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home will take amazing care of your CUC needs.

GlassMunky

I have a bunch (close to 10) blue legs in my 29, and have never seen them do anything that has harmed my sps. they are AWESOME eaters and do a great job cleaning.

Would it be dependant on the TYPE of SPS corals you have? for example, blue leg hermits (or any hermits) on monti caps?

or do they refrain from walkin on those?

and to bigjay, your lucky lol, i live in canada!!

BigJay

I honestly haven't seen them on any of my encrusters or platers but I assume that they do. As for any damage by them from walking or climbing, I've never seen it.

I have
dwarf blue leg hermit crabs
white leg hermits
dwarf cerith snails
a few turbo snails
nassarius snails
and a peppermint shrimp

I would agree that the turbos do bulldoze corals. I tried to give them away
but I couldn't find anyone who wanted them. So I just deal with it. Like I said
I only have a few in a 90 gal tank so its not to bad.

GlassMunky

Just snaped a pic of one of my hermits, a scarlet reef hermit, not a blue leg, climbing on my moti. The monti pulls in its polyps, but are back out once the crab is gone.
DSC01075.jpg

mgraf

Not trying to stir things up but, I personally choose the blue legs over any hermit. I have some that maybe go 3/4 of an inch, however have never had a problem with them killing my snails, just make sure they have many new shells of various sizes and styles to choose from, and well fed. (the scavengers in my tank are always fat!)
If I had a quarter for every frag that my turbos knocked down I would have a second reef tank. Glue, epoxy, wedgeing it in between 2 rocks plus glue and epoxy, it doesn't matter, they are bulldozers. The only way I have found to reduce the amount of frags they knock down by half, is when one of my two turbos died.
+1 on the brittle and serpent stars, great clean up, and have only heard of the green serpent stars becoming fish hunters.

just my quick .02

thanks

Thanks for that pic, and thanks for everyone who put their input, it really helped me decide which route i wa going to go for clean up crew :), thanks guys.

lol, yeah posted by the original poster, that being me who started this thread and mentioned them :).

Im not sure but i would assume acro crabs would also help keeping blue leg hermits off the acros seeing as they are territorial. Yes, no? opinions?

kospaintball

yeah, im sure they would kind of bluff each other. I don't see a hermit being that wanting to get on a acro that he would be willing to fight. I know when the sps i have start getting a few limbs on them i will buy a few acro crabs to put in.