good clean-up crew for sps tank?

BigJay

blue legged hermits would be my first rec as they are the only cleaner that will scale SPS in order to rid them of debris.

Dwarf ceriths are thee best snail I've found for any tank. They will stir your sand bed and are eat an incredible amount of material for their size and will breed in the tank. Since they are in the sand bed by day and only feed at night , they don't cover your glass like other snails do.

Nerites are another great cleaner, since they stay in the upper portion of the water column and really only come down to eat at night.

I'm not a huge fan of astrea and turbos since they constantly bulldoze corals. They do a great job of cleaning but at the expense of moving corals. I've lost more then one coral by an astrea knocking it down into a rock I couldn't get it out of. Turbos generally get large enough they can no longer clean effeciently.

If your going to feed the tank (like if you house fish) nassarius and serpent stars do a good job of picking up any left over food, but the blue leg hermits can handle this task on their own. I've heard a few claims that serpent stars may turn to hunting.

by the way the best place to get the blue legs and the dwarf ceriths is ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home . If you live in South Florida you can collect them yourselves. If not John at reef cleaners is the man.

blue leg hermits get big though dont though? so wont they get to the point where they just climb all over ur sps corals possibly damaging them?

As for cleaning acros, i was thinking getting acro crabs or bandit crabs for that purpose. I dont want hermits getting big and walkin all over my monti plates.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
blue legged hermits would be my first rec as they are the only cleaner that will scale SPS in order to rid them of debris.

Dwarf ceriths are thee best snail I've found for any tank. They will stir your sand bed and are eat an incredible amount of material for their size and will breed in the tank. Since they are in the sand bed by day and only feed at night , they don't cover your glass like other snails do.

Nerites are another great cleaner, since they stay in the upper portion of the water column and really only come down to eat at night.

I'm not a huge fan of astrea and turbos since they constantly bulldoze corals. They do a great job of cleaning but at the expensive of moving corals. I've lost more then one coral by an astrea knocking it down into a rock I couldn't get it out of. Turbos generally get large enough they can no longer clean effeciently.

If your going to feed the tank (like if you house fish) nassarius and serpent stars do a good job of picking up any left over food, but the blue leg hermits can handle this task on their own. I've heard a few claims that serpent stars may turn to hunting.

by the way the best place to get the blue legs and the dwarf ceriths is ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home . If you live in South Florida you can collect them yourselves. If not John at reef cleaners is the man.

That's a solid list and a good discription, nicely done :D

BigJay

blue leg hermits get big though dont though? so wont they get to the point where they just climb all over ur sps corals possibly damaging them?

As for cleaning acros, i was thinking getting acro crabs or bandit crabs for that purpose. I dont want hermits getting big and walkin all over my monti plates.

nope, blue legs are pretty darn small. I have some 2 years old and still very tiny. There are some species that do get quite large but blue legs aren't them.

redsea reefer

I would have to disagree on the Blue Leg Hermits, In addition to them getting big, they are most notorious in killing off snails and other hermits.

If you have glued down your corals, you won't have to worry about the Turbos knocking them down.

BigJay

I would have to disagree on the Blue Leg Hermits, In addition to them getting big, they are most notorious in killing off snails and other hermits.

If you have glued down your corals, you won't have to worry about the Turbos knocking them down.

thats the funniest thing I've ever heard or ridiculous. Especially if you would have glued down the corals turbos wouldn't knock them over.
Could you link me a picture of a big blue leg hermit please?

BigJay

btw we are talking dwarf blue legs. I didn't think I should have had to have clarified that but I guess I should since I'm engaging in the discussion of it.

redsea reefer

Why is it ridiculous, You said they will knock coral over. I just said if there glued down, you won't have that problem. In your words below...

They do a great job of cleaning but at the expense of moving corals. I've lost more then one coral by an astrea knocking it down into a rock I couldn't get it out of.

And here's your link to your Blue Legs...

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab

My Blue Leg was an inch big and attacked my other hermits and snails..

I'm sorry but i was unaware there even exhisted dwarf blue leg hermits :S

but yes i will gladly post a picture, and just by looking at my 25g tank, i can tell you i have some monster blue legs (perhaps not dwarf) because they are about an inch in length (the hermit along)

BigJay

they will absolutely knock over corals. Unless in your tank cyanoacrylate works different then in mine. Large turbos can break limbs off SPS.

yes i did and thats for the crab alone, that excludes their massive shell dude...

and i can tell you, ive only had these guys for about six or 7 months and they are at that size of an inch man.

Lets agree to disagree.

Everyones opinion will differ depending on their own experiences. I just dont want to put a clean-up crew in my tank that is going to damage my sps corals.

redsea reefer

:hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea :smack:

I give up.

That's easy when you have the same facts from 2 different people. Now that's ridiculous...

Stiffler - I would skip the Blue Legs. If you want hermits, I would get Scarlett Reef Hermits. That's what I have but I did not suggest crabs because not many people like em..

BigJay

what facts? you most likely had a Phimochirus operculatus(electric blue leg) and not a clibanarius tricolor(dwarf blue leg).

BigJay

I just dont want to put a clean-up crew in my tank that is going to damage my sps corals.

you should never put anything in your not comfortable with stiffler. I feel that way about peppermints even though I hear people say they are reef safe all the time and I strongly disagree based on my experiences with them in multiple tanks and multiple scenarios.