gareefermans reef

Setragni

Come on Reggie tell me the truth, you are using Zeovit Method arent you?
Look at those colors.
Please let me know everything you are dosing, I'd like to try something different to make my corals more colorful.

reeferman

thanks everyone!
Tony,no zeovit here.i actually dose nothing,calcium reactor takes care of that for me.no extra supplements of any kind either,gave up on all those a while back.just good ol saltwater!20% water change every week,low bio load and steady params.im real choosy on my corals and try to get the most vivid colors so great coral stocking has the most to do with it.i really dont have a "magic potion",just real lucky i guess.

JimmyJ

Beautiful pics Reggie. I would say your doing just fine with the camera you have, the pics look like they belong in a magazine :)

anewguy

First let me say that you have a beautiful tank. I must admit I'm a bit envious of your success with sps where i seem to be struggling to get good color and growth. I have some questions for you, maybe I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.
do you feed and what and when?
what is your photoperiod?
seeing as the tank was thriving before the vortech and calcium reactor, have you seen any difference after the addition of those?
what salt are you currently using, and what is your sg?
would you know your current parameters?
my parameters are
cal-480
alk-9
mag-1470
no3-0
po4-0
ph-8-8.2
temp-78-80 depending on time of day
sg-.025
tanks will have been running for 2 years come September
lights on 9 hours with 3x blue plus,2x aquablue special and 1 fiji purple
2 additional koralias 1050
5 small fish that get fed twice a day (very small amounts)
lps get fed mysis once a week
sps get fed every other day 15ml amminos and 2 small cubes of rottifiers
i change 15 gallons a week with 0 tds ro/di and reef crystals
i dose cal, alk, and mag when needed
i vodka/vinegar dose 2 drops a day, it was 1/2 ml but started noticing a white fuzzy/film growing on some rocks and a small amount of stn on a birdnest
i have good color and growth on lps, but little growth and pale if any color on most of the sps- my green slimmer is a bright almost neon green
Would you have any thoughts? Maybe I'm missing something. Any help, suggestions, or just point me in a direction would be of great help.

reeferman

thanks Steve!
newguy,sounds like your doing everything needed.i feed my fish pellets 3 to 4 times a week,algae sheets for my tang in between.my corals dont get fed at all,except dendrophyllias.i used to use various coral foods and still give the acans,chalice and favias a little mysis if theres any left after the dendros eat but not often.my sps get no food other than residual from the fish food.my photoperiod is 11 hrs a day.i have seen a difference since adding the vortechs and reactor.the reactor could be replaced with dosing pumps and do the same job.im just more comfortable with reactors and was spending a ton on a and b.i believe the vortechs have improved the overall health of the tank with its currents.im currently using the new red sea coral pro salt,before i used seachem salinity and i love both of them.1.026 on the sg.params as of this morning are[tested once a week]
calc-440
kh-10[i prefer 9 but since using rs coral pro,it has went to 10]
mag-1360
ph 7.9-8.1
i must admit,i havent tested for nitrates or phoshates in a few months,but i have zero nuissance algae.
13 gal water change once a week.the only thing added to my tank is Microbe Lift Special Blend every two weeks after wc.its a bacteria additive.ati and kz bulbs.i tried the MicroBacter dosing and vitamin c dosing for a while but didnt like it,wasnt doing anything for me.i try to keep it simple and just rely on excellent husbandry,good light,good flow and pristine water[as pristine as i can get it!].steady,consistant[no fluctuations or spikes]water params are a must for acros.they dont do very well with change.sounds like youre doing everything you can.maybe cut out the coral foods and see if you can get a nutrient poor environment and see what happens.sps tend to brown out in nutrient rich waters whereas lps and softies love it.good luck with it and im sure youll get big colorful sps in no time!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
One word buddy,

tool-logo.png

Saw them last night and man, well, you get it! Awesome show as always.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cool Jim. If you ever get the chance, go for it, you won't be disappointed. Now if we could only find Reggie we could discuss LOL.

reeferman

hey Leigh,very cool!i bet it was great,ive never seen a bad Tool show,or APC either.sorry to be MIA so much,im getting really slammed at work,thank goodness.my new tank has a completion date of 4 weeks.i went with an Atlanta based tank manufacturer instead of Marineland.much cheaper and Starphirre on all sides!hes a sponsor on my local reef club and ive seen several of his amazing builds.his store is called Fish Scales.just need some time away from work to work on my own house.ill try to keep in touch more often.i also have my pumps,skimmer,fuge and vortechs all ready to go.just waiting on the tank and some time to tear out some walls!