Fuel Coral promoter?

lbiminiblue

hmmmm.....great idk what to do now....argghhhhh.....i'm frustrated.....I'll dose very little and feed fish less often maybe?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
hmmmm.....great idk what to do now....argghhhhh.....i'm frustrated.....I'll dose very little and feed fish less often maybe?

I'm not sure about your "Logic" there. Why make the fish suffer in order to use the product? The fish need to get fed often because they can't "MAKE" food from sunlight where many of our coral can do that. Feed the fish and don't overly complicate your system. Our need to "Nurture" our tanks usually leads to a whole heap load of problems just down the road.

lbiminiblue

yeah that's true...I have a good CUC and i mean very efficient- the local limpets cleaned my whole front panel in one day...I also have my planted refugium, but i feel like i got ripped off....If only i read the ingredients...i understand what you mean about the fish....Funny thing is they pick at algae also. Would you recommend that i keep dosing?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I just hate to see products like this out their that get people. I have approximately 1000 coral pieces between all my tanks. I feed my fish lightly every other day and I don't do anything special for the coral unless I'm feeling spunky and that's not very often. I would suggest to stop dosing and let the coral grow naturally.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
great....Well thanks for the tips...guess i'll have a useless bottle lying around now....meh...

You're not the first. I have supplements, additives, this for that, snake oil, magic bullets and all kinds of goodies I'll sell for CHEAP! :LOL:

lbiminiblue

+1^ I actually have a bottle of fuel about 3/4 full if you want.
YAY more nuisance algae growth!!!! Naw i'm fine....honestly this is the LFS i trust the most...maybe i didn't make it clear i ALSO keep fish in my reef....I'm pretty sure keeping fish with corals is a common practice...

lbiminiblue

You're not the first. I have supplements, additives, this for that, snake oil, magic bullets and all kinds of goodies I'll sell for CHEAP! :LOL:
Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around....naw i'm joking...But seriously it helps

Blue Space

LOL! Sorry about that bimini but the directions on the bottle should read, "open cap and pour directly down the drain". I guess u learned that the LFS guys only need one thing... your money! :D

reeferman

its actually a very good product with the right system.Seachem is right here in Georgia and attends our club meetings frequently so we've posed many questions regarding the Aqua Vitro line to them.Fuel is really meant to be run on ULNS[ultra low nutrient systems] and works wonderfully when used correctly.when used on a sps dominant ULNS,it provides a lot of "fuel" for coral growth[amino acids and carbohydrates]that are usually in very short supply in said systems.unfortunately,if you dont aggressively remove excess nutrients or maintain an ULNS,then it only "fuels "algae.in your case since you run no skimmer,i would not add one drop of it to your tank.but in the right setup,it is a VERY good product,far from snake oil.
remember,if your lfs doesnt sell you something,theyre not making money.

redneckgearhead

its actually a very good product with the right system.Seachem is right here in Georgia and attends our club meetings frequently so we've posed many questions regarding the Aqua Vitro line to them.Fuel is really meant to be run on ULNS[ultra low nutrient systems] and works wonderfully when used correctly.when used on a sps dominant ULNS,it provides a lot of "fuel" for coral growth[amino acids and carbohydrates]that are usually in very short supply in said systems.unfortunately,if you dont aggressively remove excess nutrients or maintain an ULNS,then it only "fuels "algae.in your case since you run no skimmer,i would not add one drop of it to your tank.but in the right setup,it is a VERY good product,far from snake oil.
Maybe you can recommend they put that information on the label?

reeferman

maybe i worded that a little wrong when i said "meant to be run on ulns".it can be run on any system that is capable of eating the excess nutrients. i.e ulns,biopellet systems,zeo,carbon dosed system or any other system where the removal of waste is equal or greater than the addition of waste,just like any other broadcast liquid feed on the market.a system with excellent husbandry and large frequent water changes could probably use it with benefits as well.
im in no way endorsing it one way or the other.i dont feed any of my corals except the nps Dendrophyllia.as i said at the start of the thread,i feed my fish enough to keep the corals happy.i feel that feeding corals,other than nps,is just asking for trouble as its adding unnecessary nutrients to the system.the corals absolutely dont need the feeding but if the system can handle it,then products like Fuel will yield positive results.most tanks walk a fine line on nutrient export and most times,liquid suspension foods will push it over that line. i mispoke when i said it was "for" those systems but those are certainly the ones it is geared toward.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very well said Reggie. I think the key point here is Nutrient Control in one form or another. Yes I agree that in the right system Fuel would be a plus just like "Booster" is used in the ProdiBIO line-up.

reeferman

thanks Al,and usually a more aggressive form of nutrient control than a lot of reefers employ.its best to leave coral foods and liquid suspension on the shelf at the lfs.i just didnt want it to become a Fuel bashing because it does have a lot of merit in the right setup.

EricTheRed

I'm running an ULNS with very healthy SPS and I'm dosing Reef Plus by Seachem which sells itself as a vitamen and amino acid product and I'm very happy with the results. I do weekly wc's and dose this in between them. I have zero algae in my tank.
Is it the carbohydrates in this Fuel product that are causing the HA outbreaks that everyone is talking about?

lbiminiblue

LOL! Sorry about that bimini but the directions on the bottle should read, "open cap and pour directly down the drain". I guess u learned that the LFS guys only need one thing... your money! :D
yeah that's the case with almost everyone....Unfortunately that's the one i trust the most, except one i've visited once before and maybe another...But yeah down the drain to feed your waste tank bacteria. :(

lbiminiblue

Well said thanks!