Frankie's 120gal. glass experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The only thing i read in the requirements was not refugium. I can live with that. Thats why i posted there. i need to know things. I was completely honest in all my water parameters and occupants. I'll see what they come back with. :) If I cannot do it then that is fine also. My tank still ROCKS! :D

tbittner

YES IT DOES!!! I think that is where I get confused. You obviously have a system that is tuned to perfection, so why mess with it? :dunno:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Score! G.Alexander seems to think i can do this. He loaded me up with home work and some info on my system's needs. No response on if i can keep my mangrove though. I can ditch the cheato but the mangrove might end up in its own system if i cannot keep it in this one. I sung songs to make those roots grow to just give it up. Check out the stabilizing roots starting to grow. Their starting to lift the mangrove out of the substrate.
000_2567_editedMedium.jpg

tbittner

That is so cool! Congrats Frankie!

I was telling a guy at work about how some folks grow mangroves in their fuges. He confessed that when he was in the everglades, he picked a couple small sprouts and brought them home with him. He has then in a planter and he said they've tripled in size over the last couple of years. He doesn't know what he is going to do with them. I said I'd give them a shot in my fuge. Problem is, I'm positive he has them in fresh water. Can they be acclimated to saltwater? Based on what I've read, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I'm not positive. :dunno:

JWarren

Terry, they grow in salt water. I've got thousands down here where I am. They grow on the banks of the Indian River. The banks where they thrive are mostly muddy bottoms, packed with nutrients. There roots are exposed when the tide goes out and are the home to many different animals. Hatchlings find safe haven there in those roots from large preditors.

Frankie

RS STAFF
From my research Terry, acclimating them from fresh to salt is almost impossible. Even ones taken from Fla. shores are hard to acclimate to aquariums. I have tried. The only times i have had success was with pods and growing them out. The big one i have is the first to actually grow this well. I believe it has to do with tank maturity and water quality levels being consistent.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have been dealing with low Mg lately. I am trying a new product my lfs has so i don't have to mess with Epsom Salt and guessing the right ratio. Its called ions by Seachem. I am dosing it for one week. I'll let you know what the results are. If they are not sufficient i will have to do Randy's concoction again.

vdituri

This is just a shot in the dark, but it could be that pods are more adaptable before they sprout and emit certain enzymes or hormones to grow so that they can process the type of water they are going to grow in.

This is true of alot of organisms plant and animal in nature.
The young are more adaptable to change before reaching maturity.

From my research Terry, acclimating them from fresh to salt is almost impossible. Even ones taken from Fla. shores are hard to acclimate to aquariums. I have tried. The only times i have had success was with pods and growing them out. The big one i have is the first to actually grow this well. I believe it has to do with tank maturity and water quality levels being consistent.

Frankie

RS STAFF
What level are you trying to keep it at Frankie?
Well right now i would just like to be able to read Mg at all! LOL, My kit doesn't even show it on their count chart. it's my fault. I got caught up in other things and didn't dose for the low Mg in TMPR. I am also considering replacing my Ca++ reactor media with D-D ROWAlith C+ & Dolomite.
DOLOMITE (Calcium Magnesium Carbonate)
Another reefer named Brian Jackson did this with tremendous results. I am going to run it by Boomer though before going for it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Well, it will raise my ca++ faster and keep it stable with the one and the other is in some debate right now. I really want to run it by a bigger brain like Boomer's first.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Scooter! Always great to see you also :) How is the new project coming out?
Also, did you get my pm about selling the lights you wanted to unload? I'll stop in tonight over there and say hello.

Scooterman

I got a buyer for one of the lights & the other will be somehow going over the Red Sea Max :D

I love the cube, did a 75% WC last night, took about 5 minutes, that is what I'm talking about:)

I'll have some sps in there eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.