Filtering - Ceramic vs Live rock

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
many use similar - never have seen this, but it's the "pill bottle mod" perfected = should work great & cause zero performance problems

Paul B

We aquarists sometimes use terms that are wrong to describe things. Like protein skimmers. They don't remove much proteins and the correct term is foam fractionator. What we call "rock" is also not really rock. What we are using is the end product of calcium secreting organisms or bug puke as I call it. These creatures exude calcium as they grow and die forming what we call rock. Real rock are for the most part not porous like ceramic which is clay. The benefits of the rock we use is that it is porous all the way through (kinda) and these anerobic bacteria live in the pores because they do beter with very little or no oxygen. Mabe they have larger noses to use the little oxgen, I don't know but they won't grow in ceramic. Use real (fake) rock.
Sorry just had a hand operation and have a hard time typing. I am reallyliterate and can type

romaocg

Hi!! Merry Christmas! My aquarium looks like it could stabilize it , have some soft corals and buy a clown fish couple. The fish are small, to eat , but are always in the same place the aquarium. I moved up the chain but no avail ... Already have three weeks .... thanks

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

romaocg

good evening! My aquarium is full of these white dots, glued to the glass and hovering in the water. Anyone know what it is? Any danger?
9862932ef4666126db063663cfc97492.jpg

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

romaocg

Describe what I am seeing & I think I have the answer...
I see particles or living beings or precipitated salt or substrate rocks and dust. Really do not know what it is, but it's pretty ugly as shown in the video .

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

Squatch XXL

Great start to a reef tank. You are getting to the more fun and exciting parts. I personally LOVE the effect of cycling, and the long term "issues" with it.

I love watching algae appear for no reason, only to leave 4 weeks later for no reason. This will happen quite a bit as the tank goes on for another year+.

If your ammonia is 0, you will be ready for a slow and gradual fish and coral introduction. Quickly is not good. Take your time, and try to add over months. As you add THINGS to your tank, there will be an increase in the amount of waste to convert to nitrites. Take your time, and your system will keep itself safe. If you stock too quickly, you are inviting disaster....even if it is just an algae bloom.....there are much worse things that can happen.

Great start, and keep up the good work. I watched your videos, and cannot figure out what is in them. I predict that it was a "POD" of some kind (copepod/anthropod). Both are good to have in a tank, as it is a sign that not only is it inhabitable, but that conditions are well for small things to live and breed.

romaocg

Great start to a reef tank. You are getting to the more fun and exciting parts. I personally LOVE the effect of cycling, and the long term "issues" with it.

I love watching algae appear for no reason, only to leave 4 weeks later for no reason. This will happen quite a bit as the tank goes on for another year+.

If your ammonia is 0, you will be ready for a slow and gradual fish and coral introduction. Quickly is not good. Take your time, and try to add over months. As you add THINGS to your tank, there will be an increase in the amount of waste to convert to nitrites. Take your time, and your system will keep itself safe. If you stock too quickly, you are inviting disaster....even if it is just an algae bloom.....there are much worse things that can happen.

Great start, and keep up the good work. I watched your videos, and cannot figure out what is in them. I predict that it was a "POD" of some kind (copepod/anthropod). Both are good to have in a tank, as it is a sign that not only is it inhabitable, but that conditions are well for small things to live and breed.

Thank you friend and thanks to nature to give us such moments of evolution and learning !

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

romaocg

Hello! My current aquarium ! Doubts now on the use of a UV filter ...
98b073b61dcda8e04fbad9ba9b7b153c.jpg

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.