Filtering - Ceramic vs Live rock

ziggy

Good! I will do: Stay with the pottery and live rocks. When placing fish and coral, I will monitor the nitrate. If they are bad, just shot ceramics to have no problems with nitrate. Some say that when you do TPA is only a matter of cleanning the ceramic too... But honestly did not want to risk death in the aquarium ... TY

Romão Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.
luckily the side effect of the ceramics, when capturing debris, is mostly higher nitrates.... so if you get higher nitrates, you do a bigger % water change and your tank is back to normal, no harm done. so enjoy it.

The only thing you MUST do, is do things slowly!!!! doing slowly lets you slowly start seeing the results, and you then have time to make adjustments. go s l o w l y and enjoy the works of your labor. you will not destroy your reef unless you get impatient and cause ammonia to spike again. never increase you bioload 50% or more in any month.

romaocg

luckily the side effect of the ceramics, when capturing debris, is mostly higher nitrates.... so if you get higher nitrates, you do a bigger % water change and your tank is back to normal, no harm done. so enjoy it.

The only thing you MUST do, is do things slowly!!!! doing slowly lets you slowly start seeing the results, and you then have time to make adjustments. go s l o w l y and enjoy the works of your labor. you will not destroy your reef unless you get impatient and cause ammonia to spike again. never increase you bioload 50% or more in any month.
TY! You are my masters kkkkkk

Romão Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

romaocg

For respect towards you guys I'll show you mine parameters of today: 1024, 24c and:
f8bf2241bc178613753f3aedc5e8d06d.jpg

Romão Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

romaocg

Hello my friends!
We solve a problem and then another one appears ! Now it's happening the following my tank : RSM 130D --> foam ---> Water for Skimer --> passes through the thermostat --> water passes through the ceramic --> Coal --> water back to the aquarium.
My problem now is that sometimes , when the water comes back to the aquarium, it comes with a jet micro bubbles ... I've tried everything , any suggestions?

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
keys rsm 130d ... are gate height (raise it up almost to it's top position), add sw to raise the water level to near the top line in your water level window, then add ro/di water (not sw) to replace evaporation about 2 1/2 gallons a week - micro-bubbles solved :nessie:

Surface-Skimmer-130-big.jpg

romaocg

keys rsm 130d ... are gate height (raise it up almost to it's top position), add sw to raise the water level to near the top line in your water level window, then add ro/di water (not sw) to replace evaporation about 2 1/2 gallons a week - micro-bubbles solved :nessie:

Surface-Skimmer-130-big.jpg
Nice! Really, how are maturing, i have not put this piece. I will put today to see the result! TY

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just looked at your tank pic again... you have the original RSM 130 model not the RSM 130D model

adding this will help with surface skimming, many 130 owners do add it, as for the micro bubbles - you will have to play with your water levels - as this is key... as you don't have a water level window... pic below

a95f74ec.jpg

cb444010b2505d610aad5bc08c94c41f.jpg

romaocg

I just looked at your tank pic again... you have the original RSM 130 model not the RSM 130D model

adding this will help with surface skimming, many 130 owners do add it, as for the micro bubbles - you will have to play with your water levels - as this is key... as you don't have a water level window... pic below

a95f74ec.jpg

cb444010b2505d610aad5bc08c94c41f.jpg
Thank you again. I bought as RSM 130D, he even hás this Water maker On the left side of aquarium! It should be at most? Soon afterwards send the photos...

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

BryanD

Question for you all that's related.

If you don't run the ceramics (using live rock instead) is there any reason to run the RSM return pump? Its loud and vibrates against the glass (replacement model) .

Could you not just use a power-head in the tank for water turbulence?

romaocg

Question for you all that's related.

If you don't run the ceramics (using live rock instead) is there any reason to run the RSM return pump? Its loud and vibrates against the glass (replacement model) .

Could you not just use a power-head in the tank for water turbulence?
I'm still in the maturation with some living for cleaning algae . However , use of live rock ceramics and to accelerate the maturation process of nitrogen . Once the ammonia is high, I take pottery or do TPA . Ceramics in the "sump" and live rocks On display . TY

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

romaocg

Thank you again. I bought as RSM 130D, he even hás this Water maker On the left side of aquarium! It should be at most? Soon afterwards send the photos...

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.
Hi my friend! Here are the photos . It will be a RSM 130D ?

I have another question that is in the compartment of the biological filtration. First I put the media and then the bag with coal. The booster pump is pulling the bag of charcoal . Have problem? Any suggestions for this?! !
a94ad7a7d12cdac761368300b5d5da79.jpg

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

romaocg

Nice! Really, how are maturing, i have not put this piece. I will put today to see the result! TY

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.
ec99a6e37c6309ab963c7a2e650c20bb.jpg
i have this!

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
ahhh... you do indeed have a RSM 130D - someone removed the surface skimmer cup or never installed it, you definitely (imo) want to install this & then follow the tips above... this will solve your micro-bubble problem - Cheers !

romaocg

Good friends!
Reaching 1 month and a half of cycling and I can not zero ammonia , at least in the red sea tests. Funny I have a completely open soft coral, 1 and 5 strumbs living turbos ... If it was ammonia they die ... What do you think ?
8966e9f977cea2a276ec6a6b8e6633a2.jpg

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.

DaveK

Your test kit still shows a low ammonia reading. At this point you don't want to add anything else to the tank.

First, you want to get your LFS to test your water with a different brand test kit, or get a different brand test kit yourself.

It is possible the test kit is off. You can check this by testing your newly mixed SW you use for water changes. It should read 0, because it's never had any livestock in it.

If the different test kit also show an ammonia reading, you have a problem. It's possible something is dead in your LR and decaying, or there is something else getting into the tank. One possible thing is people using ammonia containing cleaners, like glass cleaners, near the tank.

You really do need to make sure the ammonia reading is 0 before you add anything.

romaocg

I am guessing you will be fine, adding one or a pair a month & waiting another month before adding more

but if you want to be sure pick up a value API ammonia test like $6
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-api-ammonia-test-kit?gclid=CJ2l7efku8kCFQ6QaQodgg8Dcg
you've seen this silencer for skimmer? is that diminishes their capacity? or simply reduce the air intake at the very skimmer red sea?
900b0d37233cea1f58689b2a74085f9f.jpg

Romão Castro Guimarães
Obrigado,
Melhores Cumprimentos.