Filter sock in sump question.

Skyreefer

This is my first time running a sump on my 90 gallon tank. Went to the LFS and found a 22 gallon Precision Marine sump with a refugium. I like the design and functionality a lot, but not sure what the purpose of the filter sock is.

Is the purpose of the filter sock to reduce splash or collect waste? Should it be cleaned or just left untouched for the bacteria colony? Can media be added to the sock? Also my overflow box is flowing pretty fast and the water draining to the sump is overflowing out of the filter sock. Is this normal?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The filter sock is designed to catch larger items so you can remove them from the system before they break down. You need to remove it and either clean and replace or have a few on hand and swap them out every few days.

Skyreefer

So switching the sock out after a few days doesn't have much effect on the bio filter right? If the water is overflowing the sock does that mean I have too much flow going into it?

Thanks for the response.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's hard to say about "Too much flow" but the filter sock isn't designed to be PART of your Bio-filtration system. It's MECHANICAL filtration only!!

Cassy

I have a sock filter in my 65 gallon reef tank, as said it is meant to take out larger items. I keep 1 in use and 1 that is already cleaned out and dried so when I clean out the one in use once a week there is a new one to put right back in. Once you see what this thing catches you'll be glad you added it :)

Uslanja

+1 what Cassy said! We originally installed a sock just to "occasionally" polish the water, and now we run one constantly! Water is crystal clear and shimmering. The one thing we do is check the sock prior to cleaning, we return the amphipods, copepods and any other critters that we want back to the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
....The one thing we do is check the sock prior to cleaning, we return the amphipods, copepods and any other critters that we want back to the tank.

When I run a sock (rarely any more) I always "harvest" the little goodies in there too. I'll usually lay some egg-crate over the top of the Display Tank and let the "Sock" sit there and watch the "Treats" drop into the tank over the course of an hour or so.

McTeague

The sock does both: reduce splash and collect waste

However your questions about "bacteria colony" do not apply to socks in saltwater. One does not generally encourage aerobic bacteria colonies to grow in socks and other types of media because the colony's activities ultimately result in nitrates and nitrates are not good.

The sock is used as a strictly mechanical filter not biological and must be thoroughly cleaned every few days to ensure that this is the case. Every time you clean the sock you remove organic matter that would ultimately raise nitrates and possibly phosphates if left in the tank.

The way I clean mine is I have two sets of socks, one set is always clean and ready to go. To clean them I soak in bleach for a day or two and then blast the sock clean with a garden hose.

You know the sock needs clean when the flow becomes restricted or when it gets discolored. I usually clean mine weekly but some people do it more often.

Uslanja

Hi McTeague! We clean our socks in a 10% bleach solution for several hours then rinse well and soak in a de-chlorinator for 24 hours then hang dry them so they are ready to go. But we have discovered that our socks become unstitched after a couple of months of use. The cotton thread used for the stitching seems to decay. Do you have the same problem? We have been wondering if the bleach or the salt water was making the thread fail. We could re-sew them no problem but would want to use a longer lasting thread.

BigAl07! I like that idea! That would add another dynamic to tank watching. Once the little critter hits the water, does it make it to the rock and safety or get eaten on the way down!!!

crespeto

sweet reef style running man, do we start the betting at $0.01, will the copo make it to the rocks or will he be eaten on the way down.

McTeague

I have not had any issues with the stitching so far. You could restitch with nylon thread that should be pretty durable.

Uslanja

Thanks McTeague! We had been thinking along those lines. We'll head for the local sewing/craft store and see what they have in the thread section.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My filter socks are going on 3 years old now and have yet to have any "Thread Issues". Granted I don't even use them much any more but for a while I was running Sock Non-stop by swapping them out.

I always run mine through a Mini-load in the washing machine with BLEACH in them. Then I re-run them through a cycle with NOTHING but water then air-dry for at least 48hrs.

Uslanja I don't think I've ever seen any make it to a hiding place. Once the first drops hit the water the fish "know" treats are coming so they start swarming under the sock :LOL: Once in a while the first fish misses but there are several more just waiting for the chance.

Skyreefer

Thank you all for the info, cleaning the sock now!

Oh, 1 more question- Do you guys prefer mesh or thick cotton socks for the drain?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have the mesh as well as the thick material socks. The mesh seems to go ages before it plugs up, which to me indicates that it doesn't catch as much fine particles. I've gone back to the thick material, even though it means switching one out every 3-4 days.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Each one has a different "Size of particle" it catches. Trial and error is what will determine whats best for YOUR set-up. I'm using the thicker ones to catch smaller particles (or when I use one that's what I use).

seafansar

@ your question about the water overflowing the sock - That really shouldn't happen. Either the sock filter is too clogged and needs to be washed or you need a larger sock. They come in two sizes 4" diameter and 7" diameter. I was lazy with my sock filters and instead of only having two to switch out and have to clean each time I had like 14 and would just use them till they were all dirty and wash them all together in the washer (1 cycle w/ bleach with them all turned inside out and 1 cycle w/ nothing with them all turned right side out).

steved13

PREMIUM
I have about 6 Socks very fine 25 micron, the LFS I get them at has them made for him. I change it out every other day. It forces you to remove the stuff from the system more frequently.

I wait until I have 3-4 dirty socks and then I run the washer with nothing in it, to remove any residual saop that may be there. Then I run the socks through a full wash cycle with bleach (no soap) and then I run them through a second time water only. Then air dry.

Skyreefer

Ok, so I see most of you use bleach to wash the socks. I'm kinda paranoid about using bleach.

So the basics?:

-1 empty wash load to remove residual soap from machine.
-1 wash load with socks only and bleach (how much bleach?)
-1 wash load with water only to remove bleach?
-Air dry

and this is totally safe?