Filter sock in sump question.

seafansar

I do that, but without the first wash to rinse the washer. Use less water and I've never seen any bad effects (and I have anemones, clams, SPS, LPS, pretty much anything that would be sensitive to soap). I'm sure two loads is plenty to get rid of any residual soap. And the remaining bleach evaporates on it's own when you air dry them.

But flipping them inside out and hosing them off works too. My dad does that and soaks them in a bucket of bleach, then hoses them off again and lets them air dry. That works fine and would be better (saving water wise) if you only have a couple of socks. When your like me and have 14+ socks, the washer is the way to go.

McTeague

I do not use the washing machine because I think it is overkill/wasterful and there are a lot of residual phosphates in the machine.

Skyreefer

I think I'll just keep it simple and hand wash them in a bucket while I only have a few socks. Washing them in a machine cycle 3 times every week seems overkill. Plus I don't think my wife will be too thrilled to see dirty fish tank socks in her washing machine. How much bleach do I need to use anyway?

Uslanja

Hi BigAl07! Spoken like a man on well water!!

Hi Skyreefer! We wash our socks by hand but then I love the maintenance part of this hobby!

Here is our procedure; 1) Rinse and wring the sock under tap water until clean looking 2) Soak the sock in very little bleach and RO water. (A 10% bleach solution in contact with an object for 10 minutes is an effective disinfectant) I usually let the sock soak for an hour or two. This time along with the minimal bleach (experiment until you find the minimum that works for you) will cause the debris to be repelled from the sock material. 3) Rinse and wring under cold tap water real good until any odour of bleach is gone. 4) Rinse and wring under RO water briefly to displace any tap water. 5) Soak for 24 hours in RO water with a de-chlorinator to ensure that the bleach is gone. 6) Wring out and air dry.
We use a Pyrex clear glass baking dishes for cleaning our socks in. We feel confident that our sock pose no hazard to our tanks with that process. However, our socks become unstitched after 3 months or so. We might be to aggressive with the cleaning but we know they are clean and bleach free!

McTeague

I do not measure the bleach I just pour a healthy amount (approx a cup) in a gallon or so of water. I also like to use piping hot water from the tap I think it makes the bleach initially more effective.

It is also critical to use plain old regular bleach no fancy perfumes, dyes, softeners, or synthetic crap in it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hi BigAl07! Spoken like a man on well water!!

You'd think so eh? Well not really . . I'm just a very "Green" guy. I have several "Green" certifications and am part owner of a "Certification" group for green businesses. But if I was on a WELL I'd think the same thing LOL