Everybody!!! Take part this will be cool..

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I got to admit, I feel about the same way when I read this thread.

For me it's been 45 years since I set up my first SW tank. That seems so long ago.

I can attribute what expertise I have in this hobby to doing just about everything wrong at one time or another. Over a long period of time, just about everything good and bad happens.

lol Dave, but isn't it satisfying to see all these nubs being successful at your expense?

Willie McDaries

around 6 years salty now and never going back to freshwater ever again.....freshwater,I don't remember but on and off probable 7 to 8 years total

PIMPALA

I was into aquariums when the dead sea was still just sick.

All joking aside, too long with fresh water, reptiles, and others... (seems like a waste of time and money once i found salt water) and about 4 years with salt water.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Lol really!!. I've got a nano compared to that monster and it costs me more than 9 dollars.
.MATTS GOT THE HOOK ON CHEAP SALT!!! Everybody pm him about it... lol!!

Built347

Feel free to double the $$$ number...easily
.. I know man.. my fish better be F-ing greatful.. I've been in this for less than year and I've built everything I possibly could to save money... I'm still in it for about 4500

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisY

about 5 years FW, then about 3 years SW FOWLR (100G), now another 4 months with proper reef husbandry in a different tank. Gave the last one away when I built a new house and didnt have a place for it. (knock on wood)

Willie McDaries

.. I know man.. my fish better be F-ing greatful.. I've been in this for less than year and I've built everything I possibly could to save money... I'm still in it for about 4500

I DIYed my tank and sump and a few other things along the way plus my sister bought all my rock for me and a few of the fish and I still refuse to try to calculate up what I've spent :lol:

DaveK

lol Dave, but isn't it satisfying to see all these nubs being successful at your expense?

Expense is sure the right word. I'm afraid to add up what I've spent on the hobby. I know it's many times the amount dmat88 is talking about. That $13000+ just gets you a couple of years into the hobby. "a small starter system" so to speak (grin)

While we are on the subject, I really hate to think of the money I have spent on products, only to find out they are worthless, or very sub-standard. With the online information available today, this seldom happens nowadays, but in the pre-internet days it was real easy.

As for the nubs, I don't mind them learning from the experience of the "old timers". The really hard post to write are the ones where you have to tell someone that they have done a lot of things wrong, and now have a pending disaster on their hands.

Lastly, I wonder about how many more years I can keep up with all the work involved. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to make that post on the "for sale section", "Free to good home...".

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Expense is sure the right word. I'm afraid to add up what I've spent on the hobby. I know it's many times the amount dmat88 is talking about. That $13000+ just gets you a couple of years into the hobby. "a small starter system" so to speak (grin)

While we are on the subject, I really hate to think of the money I have spent on products, only to find out they are worthless, or very sub-standard. With the online information available today, this seldom happens nowadays, but in the pre-internet days it was real easy.

As for the nubs, I don't mind them learning from the experience of the "old timers". The really hard post to write are the ones where you have to tell someone that they have done a lot of things wrong, and now have a pending disaster on their hands.

Lastly, I wonder about how many more years I can keep up with all the work involved. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to make that post on the "for sale section", "Free to good home...".

the last statement reflects the true love of the hobby, its not how much can I get back but can I find someone that will care.I asked my wife to teach me Mahjong, she said the only way to learn is to pay, typical

Built347

Look on the bright side at least its not a bad investment or anything... you'll only take about a 75% hit when you try to sell everything.. lol

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Look on the bright side at least its not a bad investment or anything... you'll only take about a 75% hit when you try to sell everything.. lol

yeah but it could have been a new Jaguar

Built347

I think a jag is the only thing/car on the planet with a crappier resale value than an aquarium.... I think your accountant would side with the aquarium...lol

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I think a jag is the only thing/car on the planet with a crappier resale value than an aquarium.... I think your accountant would side with the aquarium...lol

the only car known to man the does not get repaired, it gets an enhancement

Built347

the only car known to man the does not get repaired, it gets an enhancement

I wont disagree that nothing puts a smile in my face like a nice old jag.. but that's only because I know there's only 3 people left in the world with the genius to keep it running...lol.. JK SAS. my parents had jags my whole life.. they were Ford built jags though.. they stayed running.lol.