Euthanizing Fish

Varga

This reminds me of all the fresh water that died under my care.
now if one of my SW fish dies, I'll freak!

Also reminds me of fishing, usually catch and release, but sometimes they swallow the hook too deep in which case you bust out a pair of small pliers, and a little tap on the head :bow:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Your not useing the right hooks, octopus hooks are the best for lip hooking with live bait.

Varga

I have some of those, never tried though. looks like the worm would just fall off ??

This reminds me of the bass that broke my 6lbs line like it was nothing. I'll have to go back to that lake with that oil you guys are talking about :explode:

CMG

If the fish is sick why cant you just let it die naturaly? They do not have a developed "pain recognition department in their brain." Sorry I dont know the biological term. I will ask my fiance when I get home. She is a biologist. She told me this exact quote, except she used the real word for the non pain feeling thing, when I killed my B&W clown fish on accident after forgeting to put the grate back on my power head.

lcstorc

We have no way of knowing what they do or not feel. You would have to be a fish to know that. Science can guess but they don't know.
You certainly can let it die naturally, but there is also the argument that if they are suffering shouldn't we end their misery similar to what we would do for a dog or cat.
Everyone must decide what is right for them and their situation.

CMG

We have no way of knowing what they do or not feel. You would have to be a fish to know that. Science can guess but they don't know.
You certainly can let it die naturally, but there is also the argument that if they are suffering shouldn't we end their misery similar to what we would do for a dog or cat.
Everyone must decide what is right for them and their situation.

I agree to a certain degree...hehe that rhymes. I think what I am trying to say is that humans have super developed nervous systems so we feel everything very easily. Since a lot of creatures don't have such developed nervous systems they are able to survive "better". Think of how wolves and coyotes chew off their legs when they get stuck in a trap. If we attempted to do that we would pass out. Besides, arent we trying to provide an environment as close to the wild as possible?

ramora

I read somewhere where you make a cut along the lateral line or something like that not really hip on the euthanizing thing as I just flush them as I don't have the heart to watch also no sad reminders.

BEELZEBOB

i hate to say this,,,,but its been done thousands of times,,,,plastic bag and a sharp whack on the counter, 2 if needed. quick instantanious death.

this is what i do fishing, and what i did to my damsel prior to feeding it to my corals.

id rather get hit in the back of the head and die instantly than freeze.

boiling water... ehhh seems like a moment of pain to me.

witts got the best solution IMHO. NO SUFFERING

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I agree with CMG that lower animals do not process pain the same way mammals do (that means wolves). Sure they have a nociceptive response to painful stimuli, (ie being poked, burned, dosed with a chemical etc). It's like when you burn your finger with a match, your response is to pull away. Fish and other lower animals do the same thing to a painful stimulus, they get away from it. Lower animals don't have the capacity to reason about lingering pain like humans and to a lesser extent those mammals with a smaller frontal cortex. In other words they don't obsess or dramatize pain, They go on surviving. People that say they have a high tolerance to pain have a different perception of pain than one who has a low tolerence of pain. This is because of the human brain's highly developed frontal lobe. Fish do not have a frontal lobe in their brain.

For me, euthanizing a fish is not about pain but more about taking the sick animals life in a dignified, compassionate and human manner. Some of you may clobber to death your suffering grandfather in the back yard, if it was legal, but it wouldn not be dignified or compassionate. It's easy to justify barbaric practices hiding under the umbrella of "put it out of its misery" and "Whacking" or "The old fashioned way" but there are more humane ways of euthanizing a sick fish.

I find it interesting how much emphasis we put on keeping our fish alive and how little of taking their lives!

BEELZEBOB

huh.

good point.

but at my house, my only options are boil, freeze or whack.

to me the quicker, the more humane the method.

i have SERIOUS deep seeded issues watching any living thing suffer.

and im sorry but frezzing an animal while its alive just doesnt seem humane to me.

and there was that study about shrimp and boiling water... you know with 2 bowls of live shrimp like 100 feet from eachother, when they dropped one bowl in, the shrimp in the other bowl went nutz.

im sorry, but ima whacker.

grandpa has way more options. buty think, if you only had the 3 options for grandpa that you have for fish.

i aint gonna boil him. aint gonna stick him in a freezer for hours. id go mice of men style. strait up