Euthanizing Fish

AJinNY

With the recent tank problems I have been having, Im wondering if this is any humane way of euthanizing a sick fish that isnt going to make it.

I medicate and let nature take its course until the fish either gets better or dies on its own, but Im wondering if this is the wrong thing to do when a fish is too far gone. Some things I read online such as freezing the fish doesnt seem humane to me at all. I did read something about clove oil.

The remaining fish in my tank overall seem ok, but tomorrow I will medicate the tank because they definitely have been exposed to something, probably fungal in nature, and one fish is thin, etc.

Do you all agree with medicating and doing all you can and just letting nature take its course? Or do you reach a point where you want to be humane and intervene?

Sorry - this is not a pleasant topic.

naperenterprise

I don't think frezzing is very humain.
I never personally had to do this, but back when I was into fishing this old guy would boil water and put a large mouth bass in the water and the fish would instantly die...

If you felt you had to do this to one of your fish I'm certain it would be a quick end.

But like you said not a pleasant topic.
Just my 2 cents...

Royalscott

I would prefer to humanely euthanize a fish. We do it with other animals, why not fish too? There has to be something that one could inject into a fish that will let it pass quickly and painlessly.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
freezing is good, its dark,they pass long before they freeze, its like hypothermia, body shuts down, I got clove oil from my vet for putting a fish unconscious but it wasnt clove oil from the store lol

djbacon

everything i have heard and read suggests freezing is quick and painless and the most "humane" way to euthanize a fish. Its how my LFS does it as well I found out today.

AJinNY

does the clove oil make them unconscious?
once theyre under, then maybe the freezing would be ok...so long as enough clove oil is given so they dont wake up in the freezer.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
does the clove oil make them unconscious?
once theyre under, then maybe the freezing would be ok...so long as enough clove oil is given so they dont wake up in the freezer.

as far as I know its not clove oil, its an extract of clove and something else, I think plain clove oil will just make it smell like ham:ignore:

CMG

I saw bear grills put some kind of tree or something into water and kill fish on the Man Vs. Wild show on the discorvey channel. I cant remember what it was or if it killed them or just shocked them but you could try and look it up.

PEMfish

We do not strand place to be taking lives. It is clearly stated that we are not to do so. Period.
You should medicate and do all you can.
Thats my $0.02

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Clove oil does not completely dissolve in water below 15 C. Because water temperatures
at the study site averaged 9·6 C (..=0·77), clove oil was mixed with ethanol in a
1 : 9 ratio (Anderson et al., 1997) to facilitate mixing. Ethanol has no known anaesthetic
properties on fishes at low doses (Anderson et al., 1997; Munday & Wilson, 1997).
Density of clove oil is c. 1 g ml1, thus, 1 ml of the clove oil and ethanol solution
contained 100 mg of clove oil (Soto & Burhanuddin, 1995).

This was the stuff I used

SubRosa

We do not strand place to be taking lives. It is clearly stated that we are not to do so. Period.
You should medicate and do all you can.
Thats my $0.02
Where is it clearly stated?I must have missed that memo!

John

lcstorc

This is almost scary. After reading this thread yesterday, when I got home I was flipping through the Fosters and Smith catelog. I wasn't really looking for anything just browsing. The first page I looked at had a product called Euthanase. It is a anestetic made from clove oil.
Just wanted to let you know about the product if you find it appropriate.

Witfull

i hate to say this,,,,but its been done thousands of times,,,,plastic bag and a sharp whack on the counter, 2 if needed. quick instantanious death.

SubRosa

i hate to say this,,,,but its been done thousands of times,,,,plastic bag and a sharp whack on the counter, 2 if needed. quick instantanious death.
As long as the fish has sufficient mass to generate the momentum I agree.It's how the pros do it.

John

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It takes an uncommon person to bludgeon any animal to death. Not everyone can do it for obvious reasons.

Last edited: