Dweezil's RSM 130D

Dweezil

Version 2.0
IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

Excuse the mess, I litterally just finished getting the sand in.

Dweezil

Almost forgot to ask...My son is in Ocean City MD for a vacation before he heads back to college. He gathered a bunch of seashells for me to put in the tank. Do you think if I boiled them for awhile they would be okay to use?

echopiece

I love version 2.0! The "U" shape looks really good!

I dont think you even need to boil the shells? Just throw them in. Although, I would wait until somebody more experienced chimes in :smirk:

Shamus

Rockwork looks really good! Should give you a lot of space for coral including on the sand. I have no idea about the shells - I'm sure someone could chime in.

tnwillia

Think I've read wash & boil in RO water for several hours several times. You have no idea what's on them.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The rock & tank look great. I like the aquascaping job a lot! I think Tom's directions on the shells are good. You don't want to introduce any parasites or pollutants. I don't think he meant to wash them with soap - I'd advise against that.

tnwillia

Yes, meant rinse & boil not wash in RO/DI water... sorry.... I've done it several times and used the shells to mount frags without problems. Thanks Terry!

Tammy your rock looks great!

Dweezil

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I think I will boil them just in case. I think your'e right about not knowing what might be in them. I thought the shells might come in handy if in a year or so I ever decide to get some sort of jawfish or something. Plus I thought it was pretty nice my baby boy (even though he's 19) still thinks of his mom. :D

tnwillia

While he's there put him to work, ask him to get you different size shells for Hermit growth as well. He can bring you back a big bag and you can use them over the years and the bigger tanks to come.....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tammy - Your on your way now :) the rock work looks very nice !!!
745.gif

I would suggest adding a deli shrimp now... to really jump start your cycle :) then start testing...

Dweezil

Thanks Glenn. I will add the deli shrimp once I get water in. hehehe Probably not til Saturday. Hubby is switching the outlet for me in the wall and I wanted to get that done before I started on water. :jester:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
do wait until you get the water in...
1183.gif

but don't let lights, pumps or skimmer slow you lol... if you have your water & wanted too... 1st few days without them would be just fine, maybe even good... to jump start a cycle :) food for thought...

I would suggest 1st two weeks just run you skimmer a couple of hours a day to break it in & leave it off the rest of the time - it won't have much to skim yet anyway & what it would skim is really good stuff to start a cycle with, don't really want it out yet... as for lights... just start like rsm suggest 4 hours & then add 1/2 hour every few days... some members don't use lights at all during first week or so... I would run both circulations pumps all the time... but in the early couple of days even this would not hurt to not run them while the cycle started & the shrimp breaks down starting your cycle.

Shamus

Hey everyone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but since your rock isn't in water I'm assuming that's dry rock and not live rock? Glenn or others, would you suggest some live rock to seed or would Tammy be alright using the Nitrobac for initiating the beneficial bacteria? Wasn't sure what your plans were Tammy - are you going to add a couple chunks of live rock? Are you curing that elsewhere?

Good luck with getting the water in this weekend! Mine really got cloudy that first day (although I added water first then the rock and base - the base really clouded things up). Maybe you can get away with sliding the water down the side glass and prevent too much stir up.

Shamus

Oh and +1 on everything that Glenn said! You could put the deli shrimp in some sort of meshing (I used cheesecloth but I've seen in other threads people using pantyhose) to make the carcass cleanup easier.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If it's dry rock you'll most like need some live rock to seed coralline into the tank (or some scrapings from someone). Hopefully it is dry rock!