Dweezil's RSM 130D

Dweezil

Okay here we go....baby steps. Please don't judge me on my rock work I'm just not good with that. :hammerhea Maybe I should have one of you come up to Ohio and help me! hahah

Fedex Special Delivery
IMG_0827.jpg

After many long hrs and sore hands

IMG_0834.jpg

It actually does look better in person...I just have to learn to take pictures ha

Dweezil

Re: Dweezil's RMS 130D

Okay how do I change the name of this thread? My husband and I were talking and I obviously can't talk and type at the same time. hahah

[edit] Figured it out. Duh.

tnwillia

A suggestion while it's dry, you may want to give yourself some more room both in the back and right side. If you add anything beyond the stock setup you'll need that access. Looks great. Have fun with it!

Sapphire

That looks good to me! Just make sure you can get in to clean around the sides etc.

Look forward to mnore photos!

Dweezil

Thanks Tom. I agree. I will move it down as much as I can unfortunately I'm limited to where it could go. The file cabinet on the right slides right out so that won't be a problem. (I put everything heavy on those caster sliders) including the RSM so I can slide that down a bit too pretty easily. What a great invention those are. I'll move it down a bit before I put water in.

Shamus

Tank looks good! I agree that the rockwork looks nice, but you'll want some room on the sides (including for cleaning the glass).

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looks very nice indeed! I think you've left some room on the sides of the rock - difficult to tell. I sure wish I had thought of putting some slides under my tank - that was a great idea! I'll agree with Tom - if possible leave as much room as you can on each side of the tank, and from the back wall. It'll make maintenance easier if you need to work in that pump chamber on the left, and leaving 4" behind the tank will help if you ever want to hang anything on the back, such as an overflow to a sump in the cabinet. It's a lot easier to do now than after you add the water. Water (without salt) weighs 8.33 lbs/gallon, so if you end up adding 30 gallons of water you just made the whole unit 250 bs. heavier! Not the easiest thing to move about 400 lbs. and full of water! :)

Optimum would be to switch places with the file cabinet (which is a nice one by the way!). I know you didn't want to hear that, but you might appreciate that switch later on.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Dweezil - another option ... and what I did... was to make sure I had about 3 inches of clearance between the rocks & the left & right sides of the tank - a must for cleaning, but have the rocks up against the back wall. I never clean my back wall ... it has a nice purple coralline algae growth on it (nothing else) & this is just what I want. This gives me more room up front for coral, like open brain, ones that do well in the sand.

TonyV

Dweezil - make sure your wife is prepared to have that table to the right of your tank be converted into a water test station, storage container, frag propagation department, supply cabinet, flashlight holder for night time spot viewing, refractometer stand, and feeding tong drip basin. :)

We have a similar setup and I hide my flashlight, refractometer, feeding tongs, and test syringes behind a photo frame. It just seems more natural to reach to the left when my hand(s) are in the tank to grab something than below. My cabinet space below is limited also by the chiller and ATO I have installed.

Dweezil

LOL.....Funny TonyV. Yeah, I wish I had a better space but it is what it is as they say. I tried Reefmacks idea and moved the file cabinet to the left and the 130D to the right but then it was just too close to the entryway. The hubby was afraid he would bump into it everytime he walked thru the door.

I know it's hard to tell by the lack of photography skills but there is actually about 6 inches space between the wall and the back of the aquarium. There is about that much on the left side too....I'll try to squeek out another inch or 2 though. :happywalk

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Great start Tammy. The Max 130 fits well in your room. I had to buy a few bits of black furniture so it all blends in nice lol.

TonyV

I'd try again to move it to the right. You'll always find yourself looking from all different angles at the tank looking for new stuff that shows. If you leave your tank where it is at, make sure you can squeeze your head between the tank and the wall so you can inspect the glass for algae and coraline growth so effectively remove it so you have a sparkly clean tank. Think of your tank as having 3 distinct "neighborhoods" (front view, left view, right view) and all will have different inhabitants and stuff going in them.

Dweezil

Glenn ~ I took your advice and removed one piece of rock. The one on the bottom left front that kind of wraps around. I think you were right about having more "sand space" I think that will work out better. I'll post more pictures when I get the sand in. I think that will give me a better idea as well.

Thanks for all the advise everyone. I need it!