Drew's C130

Drew

Yup yup I hear you mate, their aggression towards new tank mates doesn't win them any favours either. The main interest in them is the colour they'd bring to the tank.... Trying to get enough colour into the tank without one of them is a goal atm.

whip

Yup yup I hear you mate, their aggression towards new tank mates doesn't win them any favours either. The main interest in them is the colour they'd bring to the tank.... Trying to get enough colour into the tank without one of them is a goal atm.

Since we can't have Tangs (because the Tang Police will raid our homes and tanks), I think they are the next best thing. While I was waiting for my tank to cycle, I would go to the LFS about four miles from my house and eyeball two of them. One was from Fiji and the other was Indonesian. They were different in coloration and would drive you nuts trying to pick which one to take home.

After my cycle (and I had researched them) and looked at them one last time and walked away. Brutal.

All was running through my head was the senerio of a Electric Blue Damsel that came with my tank and how much of a pain it was to capture him and donate him to my LFS. I had to empty my entire tank to get him and this was AFTER I tried fish traps and netting for endless sessions at a time. I'll never buy another fish that is "iffy".

Delareef123

IMO, our tanks are just to small for Tangs and Angels. at one point I had a coral, flame and potter's angel in my 75 gal reef tank (not at the same time) I don't recall having issues with them except the potter. Having a hard time recalling. I would steer clear for now. I plan on adding SPS at one point which I did not have in my last tank and those just seem ripe for angel picking!

Drew

What a busy couple of days! Had a few quick chances to read some posts but unfortunately didn't have time to reply to any.

Thanks for the heads up D! I'd like to add an SPS or two at some point down the track once I know what I'm doing!:coffee2:

Been having a few issues that I'm trying to sort out! Talk about a steep learning curve.

During cycling I managed to get the skimmer working perfectly, now that I've got some stuff in there I can't seem to open the air valve at all with out it turning into a bubbling volcano. I put the chiller pump in that corner as well so not sure the extra turbulence from it's return pipe is adding to the problem? I've watched the video in Whip's thread but just can't seem to get it to settle down. The gate is fully down and I'm playing with the water levels atm.

Who needs live rock when you can get hitch hikers on frags.:txchainsaw: Found 2 aiptasia - one in a tube on one of the hammer's - easily dealt with by super gluing the tube entrance over. The other is on a zoa frag I'm still chasing - tried super gluing it over but it managed to squeeze out.:banghead:

Last issue is my hammer's don't seem very happy. Levels all seem ok.... Ph 8.2, temp ~25C, KH/Alk ~8.8, Nitrates + Phosphates ~0. SG was a little low earlier in the week @ 1.022 but is now @ 1.025. Been trying different spots for them but they just don't seem happy... one is completely sunken into it's skeleton. This one seems happiest here under a ledge and is starting to come back out a little - doesn't usually extend much more then this.. skeleton doesn't look too healthy.. dieing back? :frown::confuseded:
20150529_132510_zpsffoaawhc.jpg~original

On to the good news! :biggrin:

I had 7 zoa frags delivered through the week they are all settling in great, except the one that has the aiptasia on it still

20150529_121827_zpsmeugvto6.jpg~original

Not only is today my RDO (rostered day off) but it's also my birthday! So I've spent the morning enjoying it by picking up some more things.:bounce:

I went back and got the purple torch I mentioned last weekend! It's massive with 6 heads!! It also came with a hitch hiker... a bristle star:):

20150529_123336_zpslakx42fq.jpg~original

I've put the torch in the back corner where the clowns like to hang out in the hope they'll host in it. The bristle star is making a dash for cover. An hour later the torch is extending nicely, which gives me some confidence with the hammer issue.

I'm also excited to introduce Tigger, my Tiger Blenny :heart::heart:
20150529_132116_zpshkcdsv2m.jpg~original

He's a little shy still, but when he comes out towards the front I'll be sure to get a clearer shot! As you can see the torch is extending lovely!:bounce:

Delareef123

Great additions. Not sure what to tell ya about the hammer. Check in with us in 24 hrs. I do like those blennies really cool personality.

Delareef123

Drew Tigger is beautiful. So can't give you much advice on the skimmer. Let everything settle for a bit and see what happens. Is it a new skimmer? It took a few days for my skimmer to get going and honestly not sure it's optimal today. But that is the fun of it all. I plan on playing with it a little more this week. If i find a "sweet " spot i will let you know

Drew

Cheers D!

The skimmer has been running for about 3 weeks now... 2 cycling + 1 with livestock. Will let it be for now and see how it goes.

I've come up with 2 theories regarding the hammers...

1) They both came from the same place and were the only 2 things I got from that place. Both hammers were 'new arrivals'... the amount of deterioration at the cut site of the multi headed piece has been dramatic! Also the head nearest the cut is doing the poorest atm. I'm thinking they might both have only just been fragged and sold almost immediately with no recovery??
20150530_130121_zpsvzqclsbk.jpg

2) I've accidentally stung them with residual toxins on my hand from moving the Helio Plate around at the same time??

When I was out yesterday at 2 LFS's I paid particular attention to the hammers they had in their display tanks... one had them low-mid height with moderate flow - similar to whats posted on line and how I've placed mine. The second LFS had one just under the waters surface with a decent amount of flow.... I've put the multi headed hammer up higher... the main head is doing well while another poorly - as in the picture above.... So I think the placement is sound, it's just the heads themselves that are struggling for what ever reason.

Tigger also seems to like catching some moon rays. Was up early this morning before sunrise...
20150530_054012_zpseehlcfmx.jpg

Drew

Update for the week...

Skimmer has settled down nicely... found earlier in the week I was needing to open the valve slightly everyday to keep the water bubbling up into the base of the chamber. I remember reading here on RS about completely opening the valve and letting it run for a few minutes, which I tried on Wednesday afternoon.... worked perfectly! Since then everything seems so much happier... the helio is extending alot more, all of the zoa's are opening up everyday and an outbreak of diatoms has died off again. Looks as though hair algae is on it's way - getting lots of small strands starting to develop.

Hammers seem to have settled down too! I've lost one of the heads, but the remaining 2 are looking good. The other hammer is going ok... still not extending much at all but hasn't deteriorated. I couldn't help myself and got a 3rd hammer during the week and it is doing great!

New hammer + multiheaded:

20150607_101802_zps62pcs2q8.jpg

I also had a few other bits of coral delivered. A lobo, chalice, morph and a couple of acans and something else I can't remember the name of atm. I also got a small acro.

20150605_171409_zps5wvquxpk.jpg

Everything is going well now that the skimmer is working 100%. I'm itching to add some shrimp and new fish. Would love a redline cleaner shrimp but not sure my water is stable enough yet - scared I'll kill it with a water change or something. Also keeping a look out for a new inhabitant... hard to find something suitable when the LFS's are mostly filled with clowns and tangs!

20150606_161444_zpso0nnhlgg.jpg

Desmond

Hey drew welcome i have a new rsm 130 d myself . its great to see so many new people on here all starting at the same time. I am fully cycled now and have added allot of mods to my tank. I have the cycle finished but no fish just corals and a cuc and got a new shrimp on friday added :)
Will be watching closely at your progress. I really have to do a full run through of my tank with pictures and details when i get a chance. Work is madness at the minute and i fly to france on saturday for a week so maybe when i get back :)

Drew

Thanks Des, looking forward to following your tank too!!

Just a quick mid-week update due to demand! :yup:

Picked up a Malanurus Wrasse a few days ago, a long with a Fire Goby. Not the best pic of the two.

20150609_170422_zpstt0x2jkj.jpg

The LFS had some Royal Gramma's and after seeing Whip's I was interested, but the sticker shock was a little hard to get past! :stars:

20150609_100416_zpszt1vkgrp.jpg

Cheapest I've seen them is 'on sale' for $95.

Sadly, I lost my Tiger Blenny that night... not sure why... stomach was a little sunken. I think I'll eventually replace him with a bi-colour blenny.

whip

Ummm, they have the decimal in the wrong place on that Gramma :eeknew:

I got mine for $13.99

BTW, awesome pics on the fish. They look sweet!!

Delareef123

Must have something to do with geographical location because that is a $20 all day long. US dollars.

Whip how do you like yours so far.....

Delareef123

Drew sorry about the blenny. I would seriously consider not adding more fish until you find out why. Was the fish looking off when you got him?

Drew

Yup, not only geographical but also due to our strict quarantine regulations. Also Australia in general is an expensive place to live which doesn't help.:mad:

I had the blenny about 3 weeks... in that time I often watched him grazing on the algae. He seemed happy. There was no indication anything was wrong until just before he died. He was wild caught... maybe he just didn't settle in well?? He never showed any interest in any of the brine shrimp or the pellets I feed... Everyone else is happy and active, all the coral seem good and tests look ok too.