Drew's C130

Pat24601

I'm just now getting caught up with your tank thread. Off to an awesome start! Glad to see your LED install went well too (and great pics of the process).

Your cycle is well on its way!

Drew

Thanks Pat! Your rewrite of the 250 instructions was fantastic. I read over it a few times before attempting my 130 just so I had a rough idea of what to expect. The dimmer knobs were/are still my biggest issue too - there's simply no room to put them any where neatly and accessible in the C-130 hood.

Here is my temporary solution:

20150517_153111_zpsqugi3ryt.jpg~original

I'm thinking of using a piece of acrylic or similar to cover the timer hole and mount the dimmer knobs on it and putting the switches back in.

While rock watching I noticed a small snail that has been encrusted into the rock - it's upside down on the ceiling of the hole:

20150517_143906_zpsquuv91tu.jpg~original

I've also noticed a few of these spots (diatoms forming?!?):

20150517_143834_zpstwz74g9u.jpg~original

Today's tests are as below....

Ammonia may have dropped slightly (I have trouble picking the subtle colour differences) Salifert @ 0.25ppm and API @ 0.5-1 ppm???

Salifert Ammonia:

20150517_143641_zps8wbz0lmn.jpg~original

Nitrites to my eye both Salifert and API read @ ~ 0.5ppm.

Salifert Nitrites:

20150517_143515_zpsjrwex9nj.jpg~original

API Freshwater:

20150517_143309_zpszzm9zlex.jpg~original

Using the API Freshwater just for the fun of it, and because I like testing my water. :pbjtime:

I calibrated my refractometer and got my ATO running today. Hoping to get the chiller plumbed in later in the week on my RDO, then it's just a matter of waiting patiently!:ofr:

Delareef123

Wow Drew you have been a busy man. So I am confused? The dimmer switched look great they way you installed them. What is the issue with the set up? and yes - epoxy some acrylic over the hole.

And is looks like your cycle is starting. I would agree, per API between .5 and 1 for Ammonia and .5 for Nitrites. The API test seemed accurate for those reading compared to the other test strips I used. Never used Salifert so no comment.

could be diatoms. check ion a few days to see if its grown. I have noticed in my tank that I am getting alot of color on my rocks now.

Drew

I just want to tidy it up a bit so you can't any of the wires underneath.

Just got home from work to find I now have hundreds of spots now all over the top parts of the rock closest to the LED's, along with a few spots now on the sand and also a 1 inch sized spot of algae on the glass.

A quick API test to see if there has been any movement... Ammonia has definitely dropped from 0.5-1.0ppm to now 0.25-0.5ppm. Nitrites looks like it might have gone up to 1.0ppm. I put an algae wafer in yesterday to decompose to help feed the bacteria so it's good to see the ammonia drop with food rotting in the tank!

Drew

I managed to get the chiller plumbed in yesterday, but not without a small incident... I initially had it setup outside the cabinet but found the noise wouldn't have passed the Minister for Finance and War's approval.... turn off the chiller and proceed to disconnect the hoses... water starts spraying everywhere.. I forgot about the chiller pump :rolleyes:

A quick test after everything was cleaned up 21/05/15 - Day 12:

20150521_160733_zpswdhf7k3c.jpg~original

The rock is starting to get a good layer of stuff on it which is producing lots of bubbles:

20150522_185029_zpsao7dwsz7.jpg~original

Tonight's tests on 22/05/15 Day 13:

20150522_184711_zpsxcdca3xh.jpg~original

API Nitrites have disappeared overnight! I even tested twice just to make sure :dance:
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I've been hoping I'd make up some time by pre-cycling the rock before the tank arrived and that I'd catch up to some of you guys/gals who are/were cycling.... looks like it'll be an exciting weekend for whip and I! :bounce:

miro

the Minister for Finance and War's approval....
:lol:
I think i need to borrow that title! :D

Looking good Drew! Even tho my tank is ready for life before you and whip, i´ll still probably be the last one! Wish i had the possibility to just walk in a LFS or well have a LFS!
Only way getting something alive in my tank is to pay 120$ in shipping :baghead:
Might get a chance to order through the supplier of the local petstore tho:fingerscrossed:

Drew

wow Helen, that sounds like a nightmare trying to get stuff - things are expensive here but there are a few LFS's around. Hopefully the petstore works out for you!:fingerscrossed:

Yesterday I did a water change and some shopping.:bounce:

First water change for the C-130 and it felt like it too - definitely need to work on some better methods of getting it all done and being more prepared. Everything tested ok after the change.

Hopefully the last Nitrite photo:
20150523_163929_zpsozbp3iwh.jpg~original

Onto the new additions I got yesterday :bounce:

I picked up a couple of small hammers. One has three heads on it and will hopefully fill out nicely. I also got a green Helio Plate and a small pair of black and white clowns :heart:

Two hammers:
20150523_150426_zpswwmnfymz.jpg~original

Helio Plate:
20150524_110603_zpstfnczad7.jpg~original

Clowns:
20150524_110632_zpsrm3ruxd3.jpg~original

The LFS has a nice purple coloured torch that I have my eye on for next time. :bounce:

Last edited:

Delareef123

SWEET! Beautiful clowns and love the coral. I may have to put those Helios on my list. Are the clowns mated? Super excited for you. And i know what you're doing right now.... spending hours looking at those beautiful creatures. ;)

Congradulations Drew. :celebrate:

Delareef123

Helen not surr what the online situation is in the EU for corals. You will want to find a reputable company. Start with a small order and see how that goes. I know shipping livestock is expensive but it's the only way to ensure they arrive alive.

You mentioned a local club before. I would really consider getting involved with them. I am sure they would sell their frags to a local enthusiast!

So whip any update on new additions?

Drew

Thanks all! Very excited to have something to watch besides algae growing.

SWEET! Beautiful clowns and love the coral. I may have to put those Helios on my list. Are the clowns mated? Super excited for you. And i know what you're doing right now.... spending hours looking at those beautiful creatures. ;)

Congradulations Drew. :celebrate:

At the LFS, they weren't - there was about 20-30 of them in the one tank. I deliberately picked out a larger and smaller one in the hope that they would eventually pair up. Since going into my tank they haven't left each others side. They seem happy just to hang out in the back corner of the tank together and haven't ventured around their new home much yet. It's hard to get a good photo of them with the blue lights on, here they are under white:

20150523_144637_zpsvcqano6o.jpg~original

I'm hoping they keep this coloration and not morph into a solid black and white - I like the orange colour showing through under the black tinge.:heart::heart:

whip

I've been hoping I'd make up some time by pre-cycling the rock before the tank arrived and that I'd catch up to some of you guys/gals who are/were cycling.... looks like it'll be an exciting weekend for whip and I! :bounce:

I have to admit that it is quite fun going through these stages with all of you. It makes it more enjoyable.

And, YES, I had a great Saturday (as I see you did too).

Since this is my second tank (first one I have started from scratch), I noticed that I have been much "smarter" this time around. I went to the LFS with a list and actually stuck to it. I avoided impulse buys and didn't budge on buying a different shrimp (I struck out on Sexy Shrimp).

I will admit though, I ALMOST bought a Fiji Coral Beauty and it took every ounce of will power I had not to (they are a 50/50 chance of being reef safe).

One amazing thing you will see is something I witnessed today... my LR looked just like yours... covered in diatoms (or what ever it is) and my CUC went to town on that stuff!!! Seriously, I thought it was going to be a slow process. Those snails just hammer it! If they continue at the rate I have witnessed so far, I'll have a like new tank in a few days. It's really amazing.

Drew

I know what you mean Whip, I've got a few things I'd like to get but I'll have to compromise a lot due to lack of variety in some species. I was asking the LFS about some of the less common blennies but they don't show up very often - have to be very lucky! Think I'm going to be stuck choosing between the Lawnmower or bi-colour blennie.

I was tossing up between the Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel as my last additions to the tank... will depend what else goes in between now and then. I'm currently trying to find a peaceful and snail/shrimp safe wrasse that would be suitable for our size systems and available locally.

One of the Nassarius snails I got yesterday has been up on the rocks a few times cleaning the algae. Hoping to get a Redline Cleaner shrimp next weekend.

miro

woo Drew! Looking good! :woohoo:
Very nice color on the clowns! Im trying to decide which ones to get, i love the little nemos but at the same time the other kinds look cool too! I was hoping i could mix 2 different kinds but i read that it would be a bad idea :p

Even tho the situation with my tank is zzzZZ, its still great and exciting seeing all the progress that the rest of you guys are making! :)
Everyone keep it up & the pics coming ;)

Last edited:

whip

I was tossing up between the Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel as my last additions to the tank... will depend what else goes in between now and then. I'm currently trying to find a peaceful and snail/shrimp safe wrasse that would be suitable for our size systems and locally available.

Beware of the Coral Beauty and Flame Angel. I have been eying one and passed on it due to the 50/50 chance of it chowing down on LPS/SPS polyps. If you pull the trigger, I hope the best :fingerscrossed: