Does anyone elses skimmer gate get clogged up?

screemer

My gate is constantly getting firred up with a kind of red algae. I have to get a knife and literally push it through each slot to clear it out so the water flows, bit of a bummer when i go away.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Any chance you can get a pic of it? Actually of the skimmer gate "Clogged" and maybe some close up of the algae itself.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Red algae - sounds like cyano, cutting back on feeding may help & more snails. Do you run any chemical filtration? If it's not cyano, might be cotton candy or red turf - pics would help - mexican turbos will eat it. Cyano, though you should be able to blow off with a turkey baster.

Check out this link... Patience by Sandra Shoup - Reefkeeping.com

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I used to get a red fuzzy type growth on the powerheads - not cyano, not coralline, not like anything I'd ever seen, and very hard to remove the stuff without a long vinegar soak to loosen it. A picture would help.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's not what I had - mine wasn't close to being that fuzzy. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

Bathtub

I get red turf algea clogging mine all the time... I have a fish tank only wire scour I use to clean it off about 1x a month

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
David - King of Cleaning!

Cartoon-Man-Spring-Cleaning.jpg

David Shaw

OMG that IS me !!!!!

I have a cleaner that comes once a week and i spend the evening before scrubbing, washing and polishing so everything is sparking before she arrives !

GregT

ha ha
I use a toothbrush too. David i was looking at your pics a while ago thinking I need to tidy up my cabinet; and I still haven't. I open the doors and stuff falls out.

I had the cute candy floss algae - until it went beserk, took over the tank and the only thing that got rid of it was Chemiclean. never came back!

Bathtub

I have red turf algea- toothbrush just will not cut it- so dedicated fish tank wire scrubber for me, though sometimes my sea hare gets in there and helps (though he's so big now he blocks the gate off himself)