Do I need my overflow box in my rsm 130d?

Hey,

I was just wondering if I needed my overflow box in my rsm 130d. In the instructions it said that I should use it, but on all the other rsms that I see, none of them have it.

Thanks so much,

6linewrasser

tnwillia

That box was an improvement added to the 130D that the original 130 did not have. Off the top of my head I cannot remember why it was added but there are threads here talking about it. IMHO no you don't, but there was a reason it was added. Others will jump in here, Glenn may know the answer. Good luck!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
That box was an improvement added to the 130D that the original 130 did not have

that is exactly why some pics you see don't have them... many upgraded & added them... it greatly improves surface skimming... they sold for like $35 each & when they came out, many many RSM 130 owners added them :dance: and most 130D owners run them

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've removed mine and was NOT happy with the "Surface Film" that congregated in the tank. IMHO surface skimming is VERY important and especially so in tanks that don't have a remote sump/fuge. Surface film inhibits light penetration greatly and also inhibits the water to air gas exchange.

w00t

I bought one and used it for a while, but stopped using it after a couple months. I found it to be no better than the stock gate, and I didn't have to worry about the water level dropping below it and then starving the pumps. Plus the thing is huge!

IMO/IME after getting the stock gate at the optimal height it works better than the surface skimmer.

i have decided to keep my surface skimmer becuz i read it was an upgrade from the original 130. i also have a couple live rock pieces sittin in it that ill use for frags in near future :p