DIY LED Fixture - WORK IN PROGRESS!

chipmunkofdoom2

Thanks for the kind words Nanoreefing4fun. I put a lot of work and research into building this and I really am glad it turned out well.

But yeah, with those softies in there... if Al cranked it up to full power, it's likely they would be killed. We were joking about the burning out of the retinas, but this thing is incredibly bright. The pictures don't do it anywhere near justice. It'll take a few weeks of slowly turning up the dimmers.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great team effort on the hood mod! Very nice job Chip - I know it was a lot of work & research, and the finished hood shows it! Allen - Keep us posted on how the tank does with the LEDs!

chipmunkofdoom2

Thanks Terry, much appreciated :)

I'm so anxious to get one on my 29 that I did a quick mark up of the price list and cost... we're looking at $750 best case scenario...:hammerhea I don't even want to think about the cost for the 65 gallon I have sitting in my basement.

Oh well, I'm still young.. I have many years to save up.

Any reactions from the tank inhabitants today Al?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Everyone looked happy and fully open all day long. I reduced the total photo-period in addition to having them turned almost all the way down. I'm going into my office in an hour or so and I'll give an updated report after that.

I do know that my tank temp didn't change even a 1/10th with them on the low setting so that's good.

CoD what percentage would you "guess" they are at on their lowest *non-flickering* setting? Maybe 20%?

chipmunkofdoom2

Yeah, that's a tough one... I'd guess probably around there.

It's weird the way the drivers behave when you play with the dimmers. I suppose in part it's the linear potentiometer's curve, but also I think since the potentiometer knob is so small, it's hard to make fine adjustments. I looked at Radio Shack to get some legitimate knobs to put on there, but the only knobs they had were the gargantuan ones that fit on their potentiometers, which are at least 1.5 inches long. Maybe a mod to add to the mod :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
sounds like a good idea.

It's not a big issue since I'm wanting to get it up to 100% anyway but if I only wanted softies or something I'd probably mark the hood with a reference point so I can get a consistent setting over and over again.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Time for an update. . .

It's been 5 days now so I thought I'd add some information (no pics sorry) to this thread...

• All of the coral seem to be adapting to the new light well. My mushrooms seem to be fuller and more colored up than under the PC lights. I turned the intensity up a small amount this morning.
  • I've noticed a DROP in evaporation (big time) with the new system which I am attributing to:

[******]a) Less heat into the tank
    [******]b) better fans (less CFM) means less air movement
  • Also this system (fans ON mind you) is UBER quiet. If it weren't for the LIGHTS being on you'd think the hood wasn't working.

I'm TICKLED with this unit!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hows about a weekly update? :D

I think I can do that :)

Yesterday I gave the "Dimmer Switch" another slight crank UP on all three sets (Blues, Whites, UV's).

As of this morning I can see no negative results from the new lights. No coral appear to be bleaching or showing any signs of adverse reactions to the type or intensity of the lights. If I had to guess right now I'd say they are at about 50%. It's hard to tell because about right now is where they are so bright you have long-term spots from even looking in the same direction as the LEDs. I'm hoping that in 2-3 weeks I'll be at 100% on Blues & Whites and I'll start experimenting with the UV's once I get a base line.

It's shocking how much less Top-Off water I'm having to add. Not a bad thing IMHO.

BLAKEJOHN

Ok COD, now that you've got the experience its time to make all of us custom fixtures. You can start with mine. I need one about 58"L x 16"W and it needs to be hinged lengthwise. It should only need about 1000 LED's and needs to be kept under $300. Let me know LOL.

chipmunkofdoom2

Haha, well, I'd actually be willing to make one for anyone interested. I read up on the whole LED thing a long time ago because I was curious, but I learned how to put one together so I could not only make one for myself, but also for others if they're interested.

For a 58 x 16 tank, you'd probably only need about 205 LEDs with 2" spacing. It would cost around $3,500 :)