DIY LED Fixture - WORK IN PROGRESS!

BigJay

Actual cost I'm not sure of.. there are a bunch of little things that I still haven't added in to the build cost yet. I think it ended up being around $300. Bear in mind Allen ordered a spare hood to put all the junk in, so factor that in. Plus, Allen and I kind of had an agreement to add lots of features, like rocker switches, ultra silent fans (at $10 a piece..), UV LEDs, etc, that aren't really necessary in all projects.

Without the bells and whistles, this build probably could have been more around $250, probably less if you already have some tools or wire laying around that you can use.

Sounds about right to me. LED is not cheap. Gonna be a sick looking cube for sure! Wonder if your going to have bleaching problems AL.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's HERE! We've been without internet access since early yesterday due ot a terrible wind-storm in the area. Just now came back up..

The fixture is HERE! I would post pictures but I can't see anything. I apparently burned my retinas out already LOL!

I haven't put it ON the tank yet because I'm actually expected to work and not mod my tank during business hours. It's sitting here waiting patiently (and ON I might add) in my office.

CoD packaging was superb and all arrived in perfect order.

I'll post pics this evening :thumber:

chipmunkofdoom2

Haha, yeah, it sounded like a joke but that was really for legal purposes.. I'm sure it will come in handy when Al's insurance company comes after me when he files for disability cuz he can't see anymore.

Hey CoD isn't your fault because you did post it for legal reason. I remeber my brother took me to a LFS close to where he works at and he looked at one of the 4x54w T5 they had lit up on one of their tanks and blinded him for a few seconds, and I laugh and told him not to do it in the first place. Then I said I dare him do that when I do get my lights 8x54w and see which is brighter. :lol:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I got the hoods swapped out. Talk about SWEET!!

The camera doesn't pick up the colors well at all but trust me when I say it's a crisp intense light. I've got them turned all the way down for now because I'm going from PC to... well LED :)

PC Fixture
12g_LED200911.jpg

12g_LED200912.jpg

12g_LED20095.jpg

12g_LED20096.jpg

12g_LED20097.jpg

12g_LED20098.jpg

12g_LED20099.jpg

PC vs LED (side by side)
12g_LED200913.jpg

12g_LED200914.jpg

LED (power supply)
12g_LED200902.jpg

LED Hood
12g_LED20093.jpg

12g_LED20094.jpg

12g_LED200915.jpg

12g_LED200916.jpg

12g_LED200917.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes Cod you're correct MUCH better than PCs. Right now I've got everything turned down on LOW so the tank has a purple look to it I'll be slowly increasing them over the next several weeks until I get to the color and intensity I like. At that point I'll add some SPS to see how they do compared to my T5/MH hood at home.

I'll probably add a FrogSpawn to this tank just to see how my FAV coral does under LED power :)

Thanks bro! You did a top-notch job. It's pretty cool having a "One-Off" product. I mean I know others have done this (a few anyway) but this is the only one we've designed and built like this. It's freaking SWEET!!

chipmunkofdoom2

Thanks Sinister. I'm hooked now though... I want to make one for my 29 now :tears:

It was hard putting my 130w PC fixture back on my tank after trying out Al's LED hood on my tank...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Sinister. I'm hooked now though... I want to make one for my 29 now :tears:

It was hard putting my 130w PC fixture back on my tank after trying out Al's LED hood on my tank...

I hear ya buddy! Don't think I've not looked at my 10g and 90g and thought "LEDs would be PERFECT here!"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Allen you have one SWEET new light !!! Nice work COD !!!

With that light... I would be surfing for some new sps :)

Thanks bro.

No need to surf.. I've got an abundance at home.. I just need to get the light up to higher levels slowly then add some to the tank :) Now what to add?